SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
IG: UrbanLosAngeles
849 Posts

My personal ventures through downtown. I played LA Noire and I remember that time square like street. Back then in the 40's, there were far taller buildings in the current buildings place. What happened?

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Just viewed your DF pictures and those make Downtown LA look like a sad place. Of course there is so much going on in other parts of LA but core to core, our core is still needs alot of life added.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
With the right planning, LA could gentrify in the similar way San Francisco did, but the debate is whether that is healthy for the city or not. Chain stores and fancy restaurants could populate DTLA and turn the city into another Third Street Promenade, but is it fair to do so by kicking out the local independent stores and stores catering to non-gentrified interests?

I think LA could very easily gain the tourism that San Francisco gets, but it would have to gentrify and bring in chain stores. I'm not sure if that is healthy or not, but it would definitely bring in foot traffic and tourism.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just viewed your DF pictures and those make Downtown LA look like a sad place. Of course there is so much going on in other parts of LA but core to core, our core is still needs alot of life added.
Downtown LA has enormous potential. When I took these photos, I noticed the most beautifully constructed buildings to be abandoned..When will these buildings ever be put to good use?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With the right planning, LA could gentrify in the similar way San Francisco did, but the debate is whether that is healthy for the city or not. Chain stores and fancy restaurants could populate DTLA and turn the city into another Third Street Promenade, but is it fair to do so by kicking out the local independent stores and stores catering to non-gentrified interests?

I think LA could very easily gain the tourism that San Francisco gets, but it would have to gentrify and bring in chain stores. I'm not sure if that is healthy or not, but it would definitely bring in foot traffic and tourism.
Well downtown could certainly use a few chain stores and fancy restuarants and still maintain its local indepedent stores. Im sure they're are patrons for both.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Saddened by the Historic LA before and after photos, this thread at least shows that many buildings were actually abandoned with the rest of Downtown and therefore ultimately "saved". The Eastern could have fallen just as many of those other glorious buildings did.

·
Deep State
893 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
people should know that some of these were torn down/redeveloped due to earthquake damage. our reputation for destroying city gems is somewhat misguided.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts