Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Here
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Richmond is a small, former convict Georgian village about 15km north / east of Hobart. What makes this town so special though is it's age, with many of the town's buildings remaining in original condition while remaining in use today. Infact many buildings are older then most of the mainland capital cities with the village home to Australia's oldest bridge, goal and Catholic Church.

http://www.richmondvillage.com/

Mill House, 1850. A former steam mill and then a butter factory. Now it is a B&B.

Richmond Bridge, the oldest bridge in Australia.

It was built between 1823-1825 by convicts and used for the movement of military, police and convicts between Port Arthur and Hobart.

Bridge Street

Mill Cottage circa 1860

Richmond Town Hall, 1906

Richmond Goal, built by convicts for convicts and Australia's oldest Goal circa 1825.

The Old Rectory, from the rear. circa 1831

St Luke's Anglican Church, circa 1834

The old school house, circa 1834

Redcoats Cottage, circa 1824

Originally these buildings probably had wooden tiled roofs

Former Richmond Hotel, how a private dwelling

Formerly a 'Penny Library' circa 1840

Former Star & Gutter Inn 1830's

Originally a post office and general store, 1826. You can see the extension that was added a decade later.

The Richmond Arms Hotel formerly the Commerical Hotel 1888.

Ma Foosies circa 1830

Circa 1848

·
Registered
77,305 Posts
Richmond is simply stunning ! the whole town should be heritage listed. the bridge and st Johns are beautiful. georgian architecure.mmm
thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts
i thought the town was the first town in Oz to be heritage listed...Im sure Clarence City Council has a special DCP for the town and its building though.

·
Registered
77,305 Posts
yeah probably.
my fav is St Johns catholic church. from 1836. the spire has been replaced a few times,current spire from 1973.

·
Here
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's interesting how places like Melbourne have very little remaining Georgian architecture such as this. I guess by the time Melbourne (1835?) was settled it was already becoming out of fashion with the Victorian style taking over. Which Melbourne has abundance of.

Fremantle has a little bit as does Sydney but I wonder about the other states?

·
Registered
77,305 Posts
sydney has many examples of georgian architecture. also many suburbs of sydney.
Francis Greenway was a great georgian architect

GOV HOUSE 1837
ELISABETH BAY HOUSE-1832
CAMDEN PARK-1831
ST JAMES CHURCH-1822

JUDGES HOUSE 1925

HYDE PARK BARACKS-1819

ST LUKES, LIVERPOOL-1819
LIVERPOOL HOSPITAL -1825
ST MATHEWS ,RICHMOND-1820

1 - 9 of 9 Posts