SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Here
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the large number of photos, but I really did filter them down from the original 400 or so I took. I think it is just a testament to the number of grand, old, Victorian to pre-WW2 buildings that survive today in one of Victoria's largest rural cities.

Some of the dates and buildings information were obtained from http://www.ballarat.com/walkheritage.htm

The V/Line Train & Ballarat Station

From 1889

Old, still operating boom gates

Lydiard Street

Recently restored cinema and now operates as a 7 screen multiplex with it's own Gold Class.

I love how unlike the capital cities Ballarat's buildings managed to keep most of their awnings.

George Hotel from 1902

Intersection of Lydiard and Stuart Streets

Bank of NSW is now known as Westpac from 1862

NAB from 1862

Corner tower for the Craig's Royal Hotel, 1890

Provincial Hotel from 1909

Ludbrook House from 1913

Union Bank which later merged with the Bank of Australasia in 1951 and became the ANZ

That tower is the old post office from 1885, now part of the university

Her Majesty's Theatre. It has been continously operating since 1875.

Mining Exchange from 1888

Old Colonists Hall from 1888

Ballart Find Art Gallery is Australia's oldest and largest regional gallery, built in 1884. It houses the original Eureka stockade flag.

Former JJ Goller & Co Warehouse, from 1862 which used to wholesale wine and spirits

Reid's Coffee Palace from 1888

Uniting Church Parish Mission

And it's Wesley Hall next door on Dana Street

Ballarat University Gate

Part of the university

Armstrong Street South and surrounds

Rear-side of the Ballarat Town Hall

A very grand building for a bakery

Next door

Even the local steakhouse is all class

Stuart / Ballarat Burrumbeet Roard

Town Hall

Mechanics Institute in 1860

Monument to the Boer War in South Africa

Queen Victoria

'In memoriam her late Queen Victoria presented by The Woman’s Christian Temperance Union' 24 May 1902.

Robert Burns Statue unveild in 1887. He was a Scottish poet from the mid-late 18th century

Old post office view from Stuart Street

Camp Street, so called because it was the site of the police camp in the 1850's.

Old Law Courts, now part of the University

'Erected in Honor of the late James Galloway. The founder of the eight hours system in Victoria'. Monument from 1880.

These lamps are modern replicas originally known as Sugg Lamps

Titanic Memorial Bandstand from 1913

St Patrick's Cathedral

Another church

Ballarat R.S.L.

Old Ballarat fire station

The old Ballarat Hospital

Ballarat City Oval grandstand built 1887

Not very pretty from the rear though

Bakery Hill and surrounds

1874, Greek revival

Bridge Street Mall

There certainly is some density in Ballarat

I love the historical lamps and street poles that are just dotted around the place

An old post box

Centenary Hotel

Ballarat North

Scots Church from 1890

Lake Wendouree
Unfortunately the lake was dry as a bone, even though it is winter. It is hard to imagine that this lake was used for the rowing and cannoning events during the 1956 Olympics.

This was the launch site for the rowing course

Wendouree Parade

The Australian ex-prisoners of war memorial

Unfortunately I ran out of time and couldn't explore the rest of western Ballarat. But this area just oozes with old money; you see it everywhere with the houses, private schools, churches and streetscapes.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Wow. I took a similar number of photos during my 12 days there over the summer but I have to say that they were not as good as yours and I have not posted many of them either, which I will have to now (and my thread is also 'Historical Ballarat').

This has to be one of my favourite towns in Australia. Rich in history!!! the locals are very proud of it. It does have a special place in my heart because I have a few friends that live down there and I always include a visit to see them if ever in Victoria!!!

I can just go on and on about the place, but i will comment on a few things!!!

I did hear from friends down there that the lake did dry over the summer, though there was some water at the start of December while I was there before the summer heat dried it all away. I did see it even more dry in 2006. :(:(:(

Bridge St Mall has good shopping. You have the usual retailers plus some very good and locally owned shops as well, offering something a little different.

I have seen movies at the Regent but inside it's really just your normal cinema :(:(:(

Her Majestys is a must look as well. You can go, poke your head in and get some shots and the people there wont care at all. It's lavish but very initmate.

Love the old buildings at the city campus of Ballarat University. The locals tell me that I should go to the main campus located outside of town near where the IBM headquarters are.

Finally, I will need to get to posting the rest of my pics, as after seeing these I have to. Good job Ippgi.

·
Here
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I definitely did some duplicates of your photos Fabian. Would love to see pictures of the other districts and areas you took. I was really surprised by the depth and scope of the city, both it's history and beauty. I would return again in the future, as the single day trip I did was nowhere near enough time to even take photos.

I am disappointed about the Regent cinema though. I thought they would have had one original cinema/theatre room in addition to the contemporary multiplexes.

·
Don't Stare!
1,332 Posts
OMG what insight to Ballarat.I think you should maybe post it in the urban showcase because i think people will be very shocked.Also does Ballarat have any new buildings all do they refurbish the really fantastic old buildings.

·
Here
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Also does Ballarat have any new buildings all do they refurbish the really fantastic old buildings.
Yes they do have contemporary buildings, but they are like what you would find in any other Australian city or suburb. In my mind they were not worth focusing on, as there is such a rich source of historical buildings in the city.

http://www.observationdeck.org

That for example is the Ballarat Magistrates Court which you can see part of in the left of this photo.

·
Registered
76,996 Posts
nice ben. ballarat seems to be in land that time forgot.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
What a fantastic tour of what i think is, along with Bendigo, one of Australia's best regional cities for Victorian era beauty & architecture. Some fine deco buildings present as well.

That gold rush was enormous and made B & B rich and powerful. I'm glad a lot of the grandeur is still preserved.

If you get to Bendigo next winter you won't be disappointed. IMO it just shades Ballarat for beauty and lavish buildings

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
@a.j.wilko
1,079 Posts
I try not post comments that state the obvious, but that is a great tour and thanks.

Ballarat & Bendigo, they are vibrant living museums with populations over 100K now I think.

·
Registered
476 Posts
That is truly awesome, you should repost it somewhere higher up!

I'm amazed. We normally go through either Bendigo or Shep (in terms of the inland "big 3", as I think of them) -- in fact, I don't know if I've ever been there!!

Thanks again!

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,734 Posts
Wonderful and complete photo essay Ippgi. I find it interesting (exciting, in a quiet way i mean) that these goldrush cities are now being appreciated for the architectural and historical gems they are.

Thirty years or so ago they were generally regarded as, well, just big Australian country towns. Now their fame and recognition is increasing with every decade that passes, here and internationally.

Good to see that they can get interstate clickers like yourself and Fabian out for major exercises. I'd like to see one on Hill End in NSW, hint, hint. Anyway, superbly done.
This was my favourite:

·
Registered
262 Posts
That is the best photo tour of Ballarat...ever! WOW! I grew up in Ballarat and it will always be my hometown. I really do miss it everyday.

Your photos were so in-depth and insightful that it almost made me feel like I was back there again strolling down the streets. Seeing these really make me feel proud of Ballarat and where I'm from.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
That is the best photo tour of Ballarat...ever! WOW! I grew up in Ballarat and it will always be my hometown. I really do miss it everyday.

Your photos were so in-depth and insightful that it almost made me feel like I was back there again strolling down the streets. Seeing these really make me feel proud of Ballarat and where I'm from.

Many thanks!
Much the same here!

I was born and bred in Ballarat, and moved to Melbourne when I was 18. Ballarat is still my hometown, although I don't get back there very often. I wouldn't say I miss it, although looking through all those photos did make me miss it and like festiboi, made me feel like I was back there strolling down the main streets.

Just to correct you on one small fact though, it's Sturt Street not Stuart Street!!

It is a shame that the Lake is now dry, it was always a popular destination for BBQs and family get togethers. My aunty and uncle got married on the lake on a Steamboat, and that was only 12 years ago. Thankfully the Ballarat City Council will soom start pumping water back into the Lake which should see it return to it's former glory eventually.

A wonderful set of photographs!!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Great tour of our greatest Victorian Gold rush town.Thanks
Thank god it has been so well preserved for future generations to enjoy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts