SkyscraperCity banner

341 - 360 of 771 Posts

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
I thought I would post some historical photos of LA movie palaces here, complimenting the ones I posted in the thread I created for my own photos. While LA has been very fortunate in that most of movie palaces still survive in one form or another, there have been a few losses. In downtown, the biggest loss (literally and figuratively) was Grauman's Metropolitan (later the Paramount). This stood on the corner of Sixth and Hill St along Pershing Square (with one side facing the Biltmore). It was the largest of LA's movie palaces. The main entrance was on 6th St, seen below (photo from Ken McIntyre):

Here is a wider shot...I believe Hill St is on the left and 6th St on the right (photo from the LA public library):

Part of the lobby with some cool looking sculpture (photo from the NY public library):

The proscenium (note the jumbo columns flanking; first photo by Ken McIntyre; second photo from the NY Public Library):

...and a view of the auditorium (photo by Dick Whittington):

A few more pics to follow later.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
To continue from the previous post...

The Metropolitan initially had two entrances, on 6th and Hill Sts. The theater opened in 1923. Over the subsequent decade, as Broadway became the main entertainment street in downtown, Grauman created a 3rd entrance through a building on that St. Guests crossed over to the theater building on a bridge connected to the theater at Mezzanine level. Although the theater building itself has been demolished, the building housing the entrance on Broadway still survives:

The pic below shows Broadway in 1932. Spot the Broadway entrance to theater, then known as the Paramount:

And here is a pic of Paramount close to its final days. Note the different / less elegant marquees of this latter era. Not 100% sure but I believe the advertisement for a 35 story building on the wall of theater building is the one which was supposed to replace the theater once it was demolished. This office did not get built and the site lay vacant for nearly two decades after the theater was demolished in 1961.

·
Registered
18,423 Posts
LASF: unfortunately, that style of Pershing Sq. was the problem. With a lay-out like that the park became home for hundreds (yes, hundreds) of derelicts. Vomiting, knifings, random screaming and acting out were regular occurrences. By 1974 (I worked DT and crossed the square almost daily from 1974-78) there really was no grass area that was not covered by homeless 24/7. The new version was put in largely to minimize sleeping possibilities in most parts of the park.

We junior guys would dare to walk through to get to the best Mexican places on Hill and Bway. But senior people, especially with clients, would stick to Flower, Hope, Grand.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
times have changed and with better policing we could retake the park from the derelicts. the newer remodel didn't do much regarding the homeless and just ruined the parks look. The way the park is now, its not engaging to the surrounds, its cut off. at least with an open design, there is the opportunity to get better.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
times have changed and with better policing we could retake the park from the derelicts. the newer remodel didn't do much regarding the homeless and just ruined the parks look. The way the park is now, its not engaging to the surrounds, its cut off. at least with an open design, there is the opportunity to get better.
Agreed. The square in its current incarnation is an isolated concrete island, and the current crop of loiterers aren't all that much better than in the past. I think the square can once again approximate the picture above...it will depend on the success of redevelopment of the surrounding neighborhood and on the commitment of authorities to police cleanliness and behavior in the space.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I like USA of 1960 and 1970s Muhammed Ali was around and Elvis was alive must have been a special time, I wasnt born then im from the 80 :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Desert Punk, Tazirian: Really nice find guys..I'm lovin' those pics!! Makes me appreciate this city's history so much more. Thanks! Oh, and don't forget to Keep them coming...:)

341 - 360 of 771 Posts