SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2076 Posts

·
dE/dm
2,420 Posts
Might be a good idea to have a thread of old photos and historical issues, in addition to the Newcastle ones covered on the 'Historic Newcastle' thread. I have a few of Old South Shields that I will post in a couple of days.

·
23,451 Posts
In the meantime, a few Historical Gateshead ones . . .

News this week that the Central Hotel at the Gateshead side of the Tyne Bridge is to be redeveloped. As many people know it's a great looking, grade II listed building that should be great when redeveloped. The Head of Steam group (The Cluny, Tilleys, etc) are taking it on. The work is set to cost £1.1m. Sorry I couldn't find a more recent image!! http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...up-central-hotel-in-gateahead-72703-24917561/
If you think that is an OLD photo . . . how about this one then??

and, here is a much more recent one . . .

also, here is the INSIDE, taken in 1997. Personally, I love these genuine old wooden pub interiors, my old favourite pub in the 1980s, The Burton House next to the old BBC building, used to have one just as good!

and, I have just found this photo from 1920 . . .

It is interesting to see such a historic building, as it has been over the years . . .

·
dE/dm
2,420 Posts
Here are the promised photos and postcards of old South Shields, taken from the excellent 'Pictures of Gateshead' website,

http://www.picturesofgateshead.co.uk/

Ocean Road. The church in the distance has gone along with the second building on the left (with cafe written on it). The dome was also removed from the large building in the centre which was the marine college (now kirkpatricks pub). There is actually a full size boat engine in the basement of that building, but when the college moved, the basement (along with everything in it, chairs, tables etc.) was flooded with concrete.

Looking back the other way:

Looking down King street. Both buildings at the end have gone, though replaced with decent white early modernist designs

The market. The building in the centre is still there along with st. hilda's church, but all the other surounding buildings are gone.

Great aerial view of the market:

The railway station. This area is pretty run down now:

The town hall, more or less as it looks today:

Wouldhave memorial, near the beach (still there)

South marine park:

North Marine park:

Marsden Grotto:

·
dE/dm
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting article Ahmed, thanks.

The market is now surrounded on two sides by pretty nasty looking 60's buildings, partially visible on this rendering taken from where wilko's is based:

There's actually a piece of public art down there that consists of a number of arranged coloured girders meant to symbolise modernism. It's in the alleyway that links the market to the ferry landing and the rather fine alum house pub.

The one thing I meant to say earlier is that King street is shown on those photo's before it was pedestrianised, and I honestly think it looks better that way.

·
23,451 Posts
From the current "BBC Tyne" Website . .

Spanish City Dome, Whitley Bay

The iconic Dome of Spanish City has long been a landmark of Whitley Bay. The Spanish City was opened in 1910 and was a permanent seaside fairground, but the Dome is all that remains. It has been a ballroom, amusement arcade and a live music venue.

The Dome has fallen into disrepair but work is now starting on a £60m regeneration project by North Tyneside Council for the seafront area which will include refurbishing the Dome to create a performance area, art gallery and workshop space.

The remains of the bar inside the Dome. This is one of the last chances to see what the Dome currently looks like inside before work starts to strip out the interior. The project aims to restore the Dome to its former glory as a thriving venue.

There are still posters on the wall for the New Year's Eve party held at the Dome on 31 December 2002.

The orange section at the base of the Dome will be demolished. The project includes a two-storey rear extension, demolishing the side extension to the ballroom to reveal a 1920s part of the building and replacing windows.

I think these notes from the BBC Tyne Website today (25th November 2009) were put up last year, as things have moved on a little bit since then. Interesting though! Anyone have any later/latest photos of how the work on the Spanish City Dome is progressing?

·
23,451 Posts
I don't know if anyone is interested in the large (full length) "Port of Tyne" Maps? They are produced every year, and they (interestingly) contain the names of all the 'riverside businesses' that were trading that particular year. I'm sure most of you will have seen these before.

I have quite a few of them, some of them that I got with the annual Port of Tyne handbook. All of them were produced by the Port of Tyne Authority, except for the one below. This one was done by the Tyne Improvement Commission, and as the PTA took over in 1968, this map must be dated earlier than that . . .

·
23,451 Posts
Upset as plan for historic Tynemouth Station is rejected
Feb 5 2010 by Tony Henderson, The Journal

THE rejection of a scheme which aimed to secure the future of one of Britain’s most historically-important suburban rail stations was met with bafflement yesterday among supporters of the plans.

The 1882 Grade II-star listed Tynemouth Station is described by English Heritage as arguably one of the finest and most important examples of a medium sized Victorian station in the country.

North Tyneside councillors approved an application which will see the restoration of the ornate iron canopies at the station, which is a priority on English Heritage’s at risk register. But they turned down a second bid from Station Developments for a wider scheme which included a library and heritage centre, community rooms and small to medium supermarket which would generate funds for the station works and on-going maintenance costs over future years.

Morris Muter, managing director of Station Development, said the project group which had worked on saving the station had included the company, English Heritage and senior council officers. He said: “The grounds for refusing the application are small, narrow and misconceived. The greater good and benefit which the proposals would have brought to the historic station could have easily justified mitigating the refusal reasons and granting consent. I feel that the whole project team has been greatly misled by the council. There have been vast sums of public and private money ploughed into pursuing the council’s proposals – all to no avail. I believe the decision is flawed and I will be reviewing our position with our legal planning team in order to consider lodging an appeal.”

Nigel Bryant, chairman of Tynemouth Village Association, said: “The station is a valuable asset to Tynemouth and the North East and this is a chance missed.”

·
23,451 Posts
Whitley Bay bids to bring back good times
Mar 3 2010 by Chris Knox, The Journal

Once the holiday destination of choice for thousands of people in the North East, Whitley Bay has slid into a state of dilapidation over the past 10 years. Chris Knox looks at how businesses are backing the bid to restore the area to its former glory.

For those in the region old enough to remember its hey day, the mention of Whitley Bay often conjures up images of candy floss, shuggy boats and a packed seaside, with a soundtrack provided by the fairground attractions of nearby Spanish City. The area was a long-time favourite among holidaymakers in the North and the town’s economy thrived.

However, changes such as the advent of cheap flights abroad, out-of-town shopping centres and the growing popularity of video games saw families and children seek their thrills elsewhere during the late 80s and 90s. Whitley Bay fell into ruin and many of its attractions closed. The situation has not been helped by the current economic downturn. Around 25% of the shops in the town centre are unoccupied and high levels of unemployment are exacerbating the gloom on the high street.

However, plans are afoot to revitalise the area and build on the success of the new Waves leisure pool and gym and the re-opening of the Playhouse theatre.

·
23,451 Posts
Evening Chronicle, Tuesday April 13th 2010 . .

Old Whitley Bay postcards inspire a new book
Apr 13 2010 by Tony Henderson, Evening Chronicle

Some old picture postcards have provided the spark for 83-year-old Bill Mood’s memories of life in a seaside town.

Bill’s son, Mike Mood, acquired a few cards of Whitley Bay as part of his hobby of collecting items with a postal theme. As Mike carried on finding more cards, Bill remembered the stories that went with them. Mike ended up with 500 Whitley Bay cards, which led Bill to write a book based on his recollections.

Having a Wonderful Time at Whitley Bay has now been published by Summerhill Books at £4.99 and details what life was like in the seaside town from when Bill’s family moved there from Sunderland in 1935. Bill’s father had lost his job when the Wearside shipyards closed, and the family knew Whitley Bay from holidays spent at the home of his mother’s school friend. In the pre-foreign holiday package days of the 1930s-1950s, Whitley Bay was a busy resort, with thousands of day trippers and holidaymakers coming there for their annual holidays.

Bill, who, like Mike, lives in Whitley Bay, said: “ When Mike showed me the first cards, it brought back the memories. I started off writing captions for the cards. I never thought I would write a book.” He remembers Scottish holidaymakers arriving at Whitley Bay station by direct train from Glasgow, and the workers – mainly girls – from the Borders mill towns of Peebles, Hawick and Galashields. There were also hundreds of people who came to Whitley Bay from the mill towns of Yorkshire.

·
23,451 Posts
NOSTALGIA

Plea for photos

IMAGES from yesteryear are being sought for a charity calendar.

Old photographs of Monkseaton are needed for the Rotary Club’s 2011 nostalgia calendar, which will be sold to raise funds for local charities and good causes.

Club president Barbara Connors-Fowler said: “We would particularly welcome any information with regards to location, year taken, and names of any people in the photograph.”

Barbara can be contacted on 0191 253 1937.

SEE THIS ARTICLE AT - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2010/04/23/community-61634-26300044/

·
23,451 Posts
Silence over Hexham bus station re-development, is ‘suspicious’

The public is being kept in the dark about a new development vital to Hexham’s economy, said two leading figures this week. Hexham Civic Society chairman Tim Tatman and the town’s Mayor Coun. Terry Robson both criticised Northumberland County Council’s handling of the proposed redevelopment of Hexham bus station. Despite its stated policy of community involvement, the council had so far failed to either consult with interested parties or provide the information requested, said Mr Tatman on Tuesday.

The situation was all the more worrying because the council had signed an exclusivity agreement with Newcastle-based development company Dysart in January that guaranteed the latter a year in which to draw up plans for the redevelopment. Yet there had been no discernible progress, at least as far as the public was concerned, and no other developer was allowed to enter the arena until the year was out.

Read More - http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/news...station-suspicious-1.705204?referrerPath=home

·
23,451 Posts
This thread was set up to display 'old photos' from around the North East, but originally (as the first area chosen was South Shields) had 'South Shields' in the title.

It has not been used since it was set up in October 2009, and had actually slipped to '3rd from bottom' of Page 4 of the forum!

So, in order to 'revitalise' it, I have changed the thread title to more accurately reflect its originally stated intention.

I think this thread could be an excellent "companion thread" to the Historic Newcastle one . . .

Does anyone have any interesting old photos and postcards to post on here from around the North East /Tyneside area, from outside the City Boundary?

·
cogito ergo sum
1,622 Posts
. . . . shows a very similar scene to today (although the parked cars somewhat spoil things nowadays)
and the plastic lean-tos aka conservatories (though all they conserve is condensation), and the defoliated gardens aka car parking, and the double glazing mounted forward of the original rebates.

We do seem very half-hearted in our interpretation of "traditional".

1 - 20 of 2076 Posts