SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading that Hong Kong has more Rolls-Royces per capita than anywhere else, the Guinness World Records says The Peninsula has like 20 of them (1980's models?) and I would love to visit HK sometime soon. Will I see Rolls-Royces everywhere I look? I know it wouldn't be an important part of the experience, but I like nice cars.

Largest Hotel Rolls-Royce Fleet
The Peninsula Group of Hong Kong, China, has purchased a total of 50 Rolls-Royces since its first order of seven Brewster Green Silver Shadows in 1970.

"economic" comparisson of HK with a place of which I'm familier-

Hong Kong S.A.R. population: 7 million
San Francisco Bay Area population:7 million
San Francisco Population: 700,000

number of billionaires: SF Bay~45 HK-18 SF-20
economy size: SF Bay-$350 billion HK- $270 billion (US dollars)
number of individual Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Ferrari, and Maybach showrooms: SF Bay-6 HK-3
percent population millionaires: San Francisco- %4.5 HK- %1.1 US- %3.0

·
Registered
419 Posts
no you won't ... but peninsula does have a lot ... they are famed for it ...
don't think hkg is as rich as the bay area though ...

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
What you will see in HK though is more Mercedes Benz than you'll probably ever see - unless you go to a Mercedes Benz planet - some argue that already exists and is called Hong Kong.

You will also see the largest concentration of designer and fashion boutiques known to man.

HK has it's rich and it's poor areas really...some places are intertwined.

·
EOS 40D
2,108 Posts
One issue that we will need to pay attention to as the economy develops is the wealth gap.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
The Matrix said:
The Peninsula used them as Airport taxis as far as i remember(1992}
There's usually a couple on show when you walk by the main entrance too - sometimes they're not there, sometimes they are.

By the way, does anyone know the average wage by districts or areas (HK Island/Kowloon etc...) or family incomes?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Mercedes and BMWs rule Hong Kong for cars... cuz basically, if you can afford a car in HK, you can afford a very luxurious one. Otherwise, there is great public transit for you and you don't even need to own a car.

·
122,062 Posts

·
17,435 Posts
_00_deathscar said:
What you will see in HK though is more Mercedes Benz than you'll probably ever see - unless you go to a Mercedes Benz planet - some argue that already exists and is called Hong Kong.

You will also see the largest concentration of designer and fashion boutiques known to man.

HK has it's rich and it's poor areas really...some places are intertwined.
HK does have alot of Mercedes Benz but Singapore hold the title for having the most.

Anyway, HK does have it's poor areas but the city don't have slums/squatters. Well there are a few slums in the city but not as much compared to other Asian cities.

·
Registered
163 Posts
_00_deathscar said:

This made me laugh out loud in real life. :lol:

·
122,062 Posts
INTERVIEW: HK Passenger Car Sales Seen Up 10% In '05
By Jeffrey Ng
1 November 2004

HONG KONG (Dow Jones)--Passenger car sales in Hong Kong could rise 10% next year as the economy improves, but the increase in volume is unlikely to reverse auto agents' narrowing profit margins, according to the Hong Kong Motor Traders Association.

In an interview with Dow Jones Newswires, the association's chairman, Michael Lee, said while car sales increased 23% in the first three quarters of 2004 from the same period last year, the rise was due to a low comparison base.

Lee, whose organization represents 90% of Hong Kong's auto dealers, said he expects car sales to total 24,000 units this year.

'This year's increase is in fact just a recovery back to the sales level of 2002,' he said.

In Hong Kong, where there are more Mercedes Benz cars per capita than anywhere else in the world, the economy has rebounded from the effects of the SARS outbreak in mid-2003. The government forecasts the city's GDP will grow 7.5% this year, compared with a rise of just over 3% last year.

Lee said the anticipated growth of 10% in passenger car sales next year depends on improved buying sentiment from a stronger economy.

'Everything points to a more positive economic environment next year,' he said. 'The rise in sales will ride on the recovery of the economy.'

Hong Kong's new car dealership market is dominated by the units of two listed conglomerates that have sizable investments in the city: Jardine Matheson Holdings Ltd. (J36.SG) and CITIC Pacific Ltd. (0267.HK).

But the expected rise in volume and the market's effective duopoly aren't expected to reverse the narrowing in auto traders' profit margins, largely because of the appreciation in foreign currencies against the relatively stable Hong Kong dollar. Nearly all passenger cars sold in the city are manufactured in Japan and Europe, Lee said.

'There has been a substantial increase in the Japanese yen and the euro in the past 24 months,' he said. 'But we didn't see a similar percentage increase in vehicle prices in Hong Kong. That cut into everybody's profit margins.'

Another factor that has squeezed margins is a change in Hong Kong consumers' attitudes. In the past, they tended to focus on brand names, but now are more price-conscious, Lee said.

'People are no longer willing to pay a high premium for brand names,' he said. 'Now, consumers are looking more at tangible benefits like differences in vehicle safety and in terms of comfort.'

New passenger car prices have been on a downtrend since reaching a peak in 1997, though Lee couldn't say how much they have fallen.

'We can forget about the good old days,' he said.

During the peak of the passenger car market in 1997, over 40,000 cars were sold, Lee said. But now, he expects an annual sales volume of 22,000 to 25,000 units to be the 'norm' for the next few years, due to the weaker economic conditions and the change in consumer attitudes.

To succeed in the more difficult market, dealers will have to offer better sales and after-sales services to clients.

'Dealers will have to maintain their customer profile in order to keep their market share,' he said. 'That's what everyone has to do.'

·
17,435 Posts
The only thing I can say is HK has alot of money. Enough for infrastructure and developments. Also reclamation as well since having reclaimed land is very expensive.

·
17,435 Posts
_00_deathscar said:
Yea and think how much the SoF cost!

There are lots of poor people though....

As well as far more than it's share of the rich.
HK does have it's lower class population but they tend to live well off compared to most developing cities.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts