SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally I like to wait for some more firm information to come out before creating a thread but this one sounds like the documents are ready to be shared with the city, if only they could get the address correct.

Here's what we know:
Developer: HKS Holdings (mostly) along with Wangard
Floors: 24
Note: Needs waiver from city to exceed 12 story height limit - city to review May 4th.

Coverage:
Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/real-estate/commercial/2017/04/20/downtown-riverfront-hotel-apartment-tower-pitched-site-near-former-laacke-joys-building/100688680/
BizTimes: https://www.biztimes.com/2017/industries/hospitality-tourism/hks-holdings-developing-hotel-on-former-laacke-joys-site/
BizJournals: http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2017/04/20/wangard-hks-holdings-consider-park-east-high-rise.html

·
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only for the Park East area. When the city tore down the freeway they zoned the area for how they wanted to see the neighborhood fill out. I don't believe these restrictions exist except in certain areas. Considering we've only really seen stuff built at half that height, the city seemed pretty optimistic.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
This is a re-post of what UDubs originally posted in the main forum, I thought it should be on the dedicated forum as well...

I'm not a subscriber, but I tried to get better versions of the pictures from the article. The first two show early mockups of the HKS Holdings hotel, including some of the other nearby developments, North End 4 and Hammes, to give a good idea of massing. The 3rd is a rendering of Edison Place that we've seen before, but I included it here to help picture what these two buildings would look like side by side. I really hope both happen, because Water would be almost unrecognizable. The last one shows an aerial with some of the nearby construction at the Hammes and North End 5 sites.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Like the tower, but I wish they would choose a different location. Milwaukee's skyline is way too spread out as it is. I'd love to see this tower on Clybourn between Water and Van Buren.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Like the tower, but I wish they would choose a different location. Milwaukee's skyline is way too spread out as it is. I'd love to see this tower on Clybourn between Water and Van Buren.
Time will tell but if Marcus does put their 20 story building up nearby it will not look too out of place. I think it could also provide scale to all of the other 4-6 story buildings lining Water St in that area as well and stick out in a good way.

Who is to say that there will not be a separate proposal that comes along for the lot at Clybourn? :)
- With the streetcar going past that area and proximity to the 3rd ward and CBD, it will definitely be attractive for multiple types of developments in the future.

·
Just a Source of Opinion
3,215 Posts
Value of being on Clybourn versus the value of being on the river and riverwalk aren't even close to comparable, though.

I actually really don't mind how Milwaukee's skyline has developed spread out, now that we're actually adding to it to form a dense core in Juneau Town. Towers being more spread out helps balance density all across downtown, and also ensures great views for tenants.

Once Milwaukee's downtown is close to be completely developed, and there are towers popping up all over the place, not just in a central core, I think the skyline will have a very similar look/vibe to a lot of the larger skylines in South America.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Does anyone have any ideas as to what the hotel operator that they have in mind is? I hope that there is still enough demand for the schlitz park hotel and other water street tower. Sorry if i missed it, but is there an estimated room count for this project?

·
Registered
932 Posts
Does anyone have any ideas as to what the hotel operator that they have in mind is? I hope that there is still enough demand for the schlitz park hotel and other water street tower. Sorry if i missed it, but is there an estimated room count for this project?
If I remember correctly they said it would be a new hotel flag to MKE. The developer is the same one that brought the Kimpton to MKE and Kimptons are higher end hotels so I'd expect this to also be a higher end brand.

·
Banned
766 Posts
If I remember correctly they said it would be a new hotel flag to MKE. The developer is the same one that brought the Kimpton to MKE and Kimptons are higher end hotels so I'd expect this to also be a higher end brand.
I have an inside source at the Kimpton and from what I have heard it's going to be another Kimpton. Kimpton wants it and it is probably getting built. I know the NBA teams started staying at the Kimpton in the 3rd ward so I am assuming they will start staying in this hotel when it is built. Also, dont expect any office space so it shouldnt affect Marcus's project= in that regard

·
Just a Source of Opinion
3,215 Posts
Wouldn't the site be two lots over?
You're thinking of the Marcus proposal on Knapp and Water. The HKS 24 story proposal would be on this lot between the recently finished office building and North End phase IV.

·
Sliceline CEO of Fun
385 Posts
I have an inside source at the Kimpton and from what I have heard it's going to be another Kimpton. Kimpton wants it and it is probably getting built. I know the NBA teams started staying at the Kimpton in the 3rd ward so I am assuming they will start staying in this hotel when it is built. Also, dont expect any office space so it shouldnt affect Marcus's project= in that regard
If it's just a hotel will it still need to be 24 floors?

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I am kind of surprised that we have not heard anymore on this project in the last 4 months. The details that were worked out at the time of the announcement seemed to indicated to me that the project was fairly fleshed out. Between 125 and 150 hotel rooms, between 100 and 150 apartments, and somewhere a little over 10,000 sq. feet of retail space.

Maybe they are having a little more difficulty than anticipated attracting a hotel chain / operator to the location?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I am kind of surprised that we have not heard anymore on this project in the last 4 months. The details that were worked out at the time of the announcement seemed to indicated to me that the project was fairly fleshed out. Between 125 and 150 hotel rooms, between 100 and 150 apartments, and somewhere a little over 10,000 sq. feet of retail space.

Maybe they are having a little more difficulty than anticipated attracting a hotel chain / operator to the location?
Honestly, this is probably the one upcoming project I'm most excited about. Unlike the Marcus proposal or the Third Ward hotel tower, HKS has a proven track record so I'm not too worried about this yet.

I think the space is fantastic for a signature hotel. 23 stories next to a sea of 5-6 story apartments and offices would be so striking.

·
Registered
526 Posts
My only trepidation about this project is that, assuming it goes through, it would probably tank the hotel proposal at Water and St. Paul, which I feel is much more of a "cornerstone" project for downtown.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
My only trepidation about this project is that, assuming it goes through, it would probably tank the hotel proposal at Water and St. Paul, which I feel is much more of a "cornerstone" project for downtown.
Which one is the St. Paul and Water? I see that a hotel on Clybourn & Water is just nearing completion...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts