SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
122,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I start my Hong Kong 2009 series with a trip to the countryside. There are a lot of smaller villages with lowrises in the New Territories. Ping Shan was recently developed into a historic trail.

1. From the train station, you can see the first sight - an old tower.

4. On the other side of the tracks, the highrise suburb of Tin Shui Wai begins.

7. On this side of the tracks, the buildings are lowrise. Some Hong Kongers get to live in houses!

19. Unfortunately, many parts of the New Territories have become container lots of truck parking areas due to inadequate government legislation.

24. Inside this complex, you find an old alley that does not seem so inviting.

32. Beware pedestrians.

33. Here is an old well.

42. While this is not an ancient village, signs of old tradition remain amidst the newer houses.

46. The Tang clan dominates Ping Shan.

·
122,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a very strong belief that this was done by a specific group of tourists.
it isn't something done by the local...
I also suspect it could be construction workers.

·
122,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Part 4 - Lau Fau Shan
This is a seafood village at the northern edge of Hong Kong, with Shenzhen visible from the waterfront. While this is one of Hong Kong's more famous places to eat seafood local style, it's not my preferred. Soon you'll see why.

1. A whole array of dried seafood goods are on sale along the main market street.

10. Oyster-opening exercise

19. Soon I emerge at the waterfront. A bad smell greeted me, and I'm not surprised. The whole coast was full of oyster shells mixed with some garbage here and there. I can't imagine anyone growing oysters in these waters or eating seafood at all.

22. In the distance, you can see the bridge to Shenzhen.

29. The new town of Tin Shui Wai sits in the distance.

31. More Shenzhen ...

36. A nice photo to end the tour of an otherwise undesirable part of town.

·
122,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Part 5 - More Transport

August 16 saw the opening of the West Rail extension, which now links up with the East Rail line. It is possible to go from the Chinese border, looping around Kowloon's tip, and back up towards Tuen Mun.

A new station, Austin, was built. Eventually, express trains will start from here and head to Guangzhou.

Continuing my day, it was time for a tram ride in the summer heat!

An afternoon snack and drink is much needed in this hot weather!

·
122,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Time to take a ride along the escalator from the financial district to the posh bars and residences along the hillsides.

I was a bit surprised to see this mini-garden in the previously empty lot. Good thing they're starting to add more greenery to the cityscapes.

There seems to be a stronger citizen movement to stop these older structures from being demolished and replaced by giant skyscrapers. With some renovations, they can look quite good and habitable.

A lot of people struggling for some views.

There are a lot more restaurants and bars in this part of town from my last visit a few years ago. Can't say it's a change to upscale, but at least it's more vibrant. The residences remain upstairs, so they may be disturbed at night.

The stigma of the red white blue label remains. It used to be despised upon as a low-class symbol. Now it appears to be an artistic expression.

This building made it to the news before. The owner bought the whole block and renovated it. Looks quite nice. Again, it shows not that much needs to be done to make an old building habitable again. No need to always smash and rebuild.

Unfortunately, the neighbours don't agree.

Imagine what a renovation would do to these.

Hong Kong's old streetscapes looked quite good, with reasonable density, architectural merit, and greenery!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts