SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
121,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a Sound of Music fan. In fact, I've never seen the film before. My decision to visit Salzburg was very practical. Munich was among the cheapest places in Europe where I could fly from Asia, and Salzburg was a logical choice, being only 90 minutes away from the airport. With this view, I truly had no regrets.

The clouds cleared up a little bit and the sun shone at Mirabellgarten, a serene park edged between the train station and the riverside.

The leafy southern exit leads to Makartplatz.

The river bends around Salzburg, and hills on both sides give a pretty backdrop to the city.

Streams of tourists were already entering the old town. The various merchants were ready to do some business!

Museum der Moderne Monchsberg is perched above the city, and offers a lovely view of the town. Strangely, the throngs of tourists that were crossing the river did not realize this spot.

Back on ground level, Salzburg's old town is small and walkable.

Various municipal facilities are hidden away in the geography. This facade looks interesting, and unexpectedly, a parking lot entrance lies inside.

The equine fountain's use has changed today, but is nevertheless a pretty sight.

For more, check out my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/salzburg01.htm

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I didn´t know it was so nice...

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Salzburg is great. I was there last summer and loved it. I also remember the weather changing all the time...:):nuts:

·
121,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your support. Here's the second part :

The clouds rolled in and an annoying drizzle would soon follow. My first day in Europe on this trip was about to turn for the worse.

Franziskanerkirche's history goes back a thousand years, and hence the structure incorporates a variety of architectural styles.

The catacombs are wedged along the hillside. They're open to the public and are mostly empty these days.

Even the cemeteries are quite green and colourful. Looking at a few memorials, the inhabitants are actually not all historic figures.

Of the several churches in the area, the Dom is the largest. Civic life seems to revolve around it, with a market on one side, and a big square on the other where horse carridges await customers.

It's a large church, but the interior was not particularly impressive.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
To go up the castle through the tunnels and to enjoy history and nature while doing so is a great experience, I've had the opportunity to visit this city and was wonderful. A trully romantic town, thank you for the great pictures :)

·
leisure cook
11,910 Posts
thanks for the magnificent photo collection from Salzburg hkskyline ...:cheers:

·
121,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your comments. Here is the next set :

Without the sun, it was a chilly day to venture about outdoors.

Back before the photography era, panoramas such as this one offered a close glimpse of what the world beyond looks like. This panorama of Salzburg and its surroundings from 1829 is suitably displayed in a circular theatre, where visitors can explore in all four directions.

The Salzburg Museum has an interesting collection, and some intricately-decorated rooms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts