SkyscraperCity Forum banner

hkskyline's 2014 in COLOMBO, Sri Lanka

6K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  hkskyline 
#1 ·
Sri Lanka was historically at the cross-roads of trade between the West and the East. Their museums showcase remnants of Chinese explorers and what their merchant ships brought centuries ago.

The Europeans came and decided to take over the indigeneous population after discovering Sri Lanka's riches. The Dutch were here, and still has a small population of descendants today.

Surrounded by a clean ocean, there is plenty of seafood to enjoy at rock-bottom prices.

The local trains are not fast, and take forever to travel short distances. But that's an attraction in itself.

Your old mobile phones also get a new life here.

The buses are not as run-down as the ones in Mumbai, but are probably just as old.

Ginger is a local specialty. I got hooked to EGB - a wonderful but just-as-sweet alternative to western soda.

Galle Face Green is a huge waterfront promenade with the best sunset view.

The Fort area has a lot of historic colonial buildings. Tourists were difficult to find so I had entire streets pretty much all to myself on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

Cinnamon Red also has a nice rooftop lounge with a view. There aren't too many tall buildings in the city.

I came across other pockets of historic stately buildings that are still in use today but not readily accessible by outsiders.

Meanwhile, an old colonial royalty quietly stares into a modern city.

I have no idea what this means.

I closely await the Hyatt Regency to open for a 5-star choice the next time I visit.

More photos on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/colombo.htm

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.