Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
129,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sapporo is a relatively young city in Japan. Its urban history began in 1869 and the city is now home to 1.9 million people. Laid out in a grid format, it is hard to get lost when the streets are named relative to the center point of the city in a numbered fashion. However, you wouldn't want to be lost during the cold winters; snow covers the ground on average 132 days of the year, with about 600 cm per season!

The Former Hokkaido Government Office Building was built in 1888 in the neo-Baroque style. Its red bricks are quite distinct although the interiors are not particularly special.

Perhaps because it was still chilly, but the rest of Sapporo in this part of town appears empty.

The linear Odori Park is only a few blocks away and stretches across many blocks east-to-west.

Built in 1926, this historic building is the former Court of Appeal. There is still a court room inside with other exhibitions. They open until quite late - 7pm, and I was the only visitor there when I arrived close to closing.

Right above the JR train station is an observation deck with a lovely view of the city from the 38th floor.

Even the toilet has plenty of views so you don't want to leave.

More on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/sapporo.htm

·
Asian forums Supermod
In Memory of our Dea
22,727 Posts

·
129,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all those pictures are within a small radius of Sapporo station.
Unfortunately after going there myself, I was a little bit disappointed there wasn't much more beyond that.
its also worth mentioning Sapporo itself is derived from its Ainu name, Sapporope

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/indepth/scenic/hokkaido/hokkaido_05.html
Well, Sapporo isn't what Hokkaido's best has to offer. :)

Mt. Moiwa stands 531m above the city. To get to the observation deck, take the ropeway first to the intermediate station, and then transfer to a rail-based car for the rest of the way. The observation deck was renovated in 2011 and offers a roof-top outdoor viewing area.

After a cold sunset on top of Sapporo, it is time for dinner in Ramen Alley. It was quite hard to find at first, as the alley is through a narrow, unmarked opening on one side.

There is also raw fish available at the local fish market.

The tram network is a loop on the western part of the city. It is not particularly useful for tourists except accessing the Mt. Moiwa Ropeway. Pay upon exit, although you can use the change machine at any time onboard to get the right amount.

·
Special Agent
50 Posts
all those pictures are within a small radius of Sapporo station.
Unfortunately after going there myself, I was a little bit disappointed there wasn't much more beyond that.
its also worth mentioning Sapporo itself is derived from its Ainu name, Sapporope
Can't say I disagree with you. Sapporo is a lovely place to live, but it has little to offer to tourists. If you spend more time there and get to know its hidden gems, however, you find it's not a boring place at all.

·
Asian forums Supermod
In Memory of our Dea
22,727 Posts
Can't say I disagree with you. Sapporo is a lovely place to live, but it has little to offer to tourists. If you spend more time there and get to know its hidden gems, however, you find it's not a boring place at all.
probably. I've used Sapporo as a staging point to other places in Hokkaido.
So far, I like Hakodate the best.
But if I had to live there, I think I would be inclined to agree with you.. Sapporo has more amenities (but its just that I can find them in my city too, so my perspective is biased as a tourist).

·
129,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jozankei is reachable by city bus from Sapporo station. The buses don't come often, and there aren't enough seats to satisfy demand. Get there early! It's not a great ride to stand for over an hour.

Be careful when you wander around the terminus, but they installed railroad crossing-style barriers to keep you and the buses safe.

Next to this temple is a little hot spring where you can soak your feet. Yes, it's open to the public at any time!

Roll up your pants and enjoy the hot water while winter continues outside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts