SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
116,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gwangju is the centre of Korea's pro-democracy movement. The desire to overturn an authoritarian military government got bloody in 1980 and the city still celebrates its independent spirit today.

Frequent buses connect Seoul with Gwangju, a journey that takes 3.5 hours. KTX trains are more expensive but can shorten the journey to under 2 hours. This city is not touristy and is worth at least 1 night for a more authentic Korean urban experience.

5.18 Memorial Park commemmorates the democracy movement that ended in blood in 1980. I was here looking for foliage, and found some good patches.

The riverfront has walkways for a nice stroll. It is not as spectacular as what Seoul has to offer, but still a nice urban space that perhaps needs a facelift soon.

The Asia Culture Center incorporates buildings that played a major role in the 1980 democracy movement.

More photos on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/gwangju.htm

·
Registered
120 Posts
That's a fantastic collection of photos! I've been to Korea many times now, but haven't yet made it to Gwangju. It's great to see a new part of Korea in such beautiful detail. Thanks for sharing!

·
116,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yangdong Market's history goes back to the 1910s. It became famous during the May 18th democracy movement when activists gathered here demanding freedom. Now it is a huge maze of many shops selling all sorts of food items.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts