Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through some old models and photographs I had from my University days and I came across a class project that looked at the possibility of bringing HMS Belfast back to the city in which it was built and named after as a new tourist attraction.

Personally I think it would be a great idea (not sure if its possible now or how much it would cost) but given that so much is invested in trying to make the tourist industry the man driver in NI's economy I think it would be great to have another attraction for tourists visiting the city. It would be a great added attraction for our rich maritime heritage and provide another tourist draw and money spinner for souvenir shops/tourist centers.

Imagine having HMS Belfast permanently moored alongside the Odyssey or the quayside where the TSP is being built and possibly another schooner/tall ship like it was at the Tall Ships festival.

I know it will be unlikely to happen but one can dream eh?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I think that ANY large ship built in Belfast would be of interest as part of a maritime museum. There must be a cargo ship or a tanker somewhere, approaching the end of its useful life that could be moored and used as a floating museum.

The Canberra would have been a good example. What happened to it?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I think that ANY large ship built in Belfast would be of interest as part of a maritime museum. There must be a cargo ship or a tanker somewhere, approaching the end of its useful life that could be moored and used as a floating museum.

The Canberra would have been a good example. What happened to it?
I have always thought the Canberra would have made a magnificent addition to Belfast. I never realised it is now nigh on 14 years since it last sailed. Time flies! A brief history here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Canberra

It really is a shame there wasn't some way it could have been salvaged for Belfast, but, given that it was withdrawn in 1997, i guess there were other matters getting in the way at the time before even the slightest consideration could have been given to bringing her home. Even more of a shame when you read the list of technical achievements associated with the ship!

·
22,436 Posts
It really is a shame there wasn't some way it could have been salvaged for Belfast, but, given that it was withdrawn in 1997, i guess there were other matters getting in the way at the time before even the slightest consideration could have been given to bringing her home.
Well exactly.....

I doubt had the Nomadic been bound for the scrapyard in 1997 it would have appeared on the radar and it would have been lost forever.

Unfortunately that period of our history and the utter selfishness of some people has led to many an opportunity being missed. Thankfully things have changed and we at least have the Nomadic and hopefully HMS Caroline.

In fact I'm pretty certain HMS Caroline is staying in Belfast. The Royal Navy as far as I know don't have any plans to move her. Her connection with the city and the NI Royal Naval Reserve runs rather deep.

·
22,436 Posts
PRLog (Press Release) – Jan 22, 2011 – White Star Momentos kindly accepted an invitation this week to attend the Grand Launch of Lagan Legacy's MV Confiance. The ship which is better know as the Barge is located on the River Lagan opposite Laganside Court Houses. Guest speakers included Alan Clarke, Chief Executive of N.I.T.B. , Ronnie Spence of Heritage Lottery Fund, Rosemary Kelly OBE from the Arts Council and local researcher and Historian Charlie Warmington.

The project founders and creators Derek Booker and Joyce Anderson made for very welcome hosts and their passion for the project is evident. The MV Confiance will be a massive attraction to both locals and tourists alike. She will house the best floating museum to Belfast's maritime history afloat. With thousands of artefacts from Harland and Wolff shipyard and unique pieces of ship building memorabilia the 'Barge' is a must visit for all.

Alongside the museum the 'Barge' can host a wide range of Arts events, the lower deck is fully functional state of the art music and light studio. Private booking can also be made via the manageress Ms Susan McStay. Email Susan at [email protected]

Further to the museum and excellent arts facilities the 'Barge' will also be shortly opening a café on-board.

Many thanks to all at Lagan Legacy for their friendliness and invite.

White Star Mementos look forward to supplying some gifts and souvenirs to the shop on-
board in the future.
http://www.prlog.org/11242433-grand-opening-of-mv-confiance-white-star-momentos-news-article.html

The number of spelling mistakes I had to correct in that quoted text was obscene and shameful.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts