SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
20,501 Posts
H M S Calliope, South Shore Road, Gateshead - Planning Application granted for Refurbishment of the existing Royal Naval Reserve Training Unit - On Gateshead Planning Portal 17/02/14 as "Granted"

DC/13/01549/FUL

Refurbishment of the existing Royal Naval Reserve Training Unit, works including; part demolition of existing boat store, overcladding of elevations, outbuildings and roof, erection of single storey boat store extension on West elevation, construction of viewing deck on East elevation (with stair enclosure), installation of free standing rope frame and external assault course. And including entrance alterations to improve accessibility.

H M S Calliope South Shore Road Gateshead Tyne And Wear NE8 2BE

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MXSFN6HK3Y000

These pictures by myself showing the establishment as at 17/01/12, 01/04/13 and 12/09/13 - images hosted on Photobucket

This link to document (from the Planning Documents) states what is to happen to the building https://myservice.gateshead.gov.uk/Planning/StreamDocPage/obj.pdf?DocNo=15650225&PageNo=1&content=obj.pdf

KEN

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Better than whats there I guess.

I think its great to have a Royal Naval presence on the Quayside, and long may it continue.

However, It is blocking future redevelopment of the Gateshead side, and is stopping a circular route each side of the river between Millennium and Swing Bridge.

CPO and relocation paid for in Section 106 agreement, to another location on the Quayside. RN will probably drag their heels sadly.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Sculler Stairs

Something from Saturday morning, 5th April 2014, which I hadn't observed before are the stairs which are to the western side of HMS Calliope leading down from the quay to the river.

I assume the name Sculler Stairs originates from a point in which scullers (rowers) entered the Tyne with their boats.

Images hosted on http://ellwood.fototime.com/Sculler Stairs - Gateshead

·
Registered
20,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
H M S Calliope, South Shore Road, Gateshead - Royal Naval Reserve Training Unit, helicopters on 06/06/14

Some pictures of the establishment taken by myself Friday 06/06/14 showing 2 helicopters in position (early pictures at approx 1000 from Tyne Bridge) and one after just haven taken off at approx 1015 (pictured from north side of the Tyne)

Still no sign of any of proposed developments

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
King of Bernicia
1,225 Posts
The post about H M S Calliope mentions a development- there's talk of finally getting rid of that thing?

·
Registered
20,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gateshead Quayside landmark HMS Calliope is to get a £2.9m make over

On Gateshead Planning Portal 17/02/14 as "Granted"

DC/13/01549/FUL

Refurbishment of the existing Royal Naval Reserve Training Unit, works including; part demolition of existing boat store, overcladding of elevations, outbuildings and roof, erection of single storey boat store extension on West elevation, construction of viewing deck on East elevation (with stair enclosure), installation of free standing rope frame and external assault course. And including entrance alterations to improve accessibility.

H M S Calliope South Shore Road Gateshead Tyne And Wear NE8 2BE

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MXSFN6HK3Y000

These pictures by myself showing the establishment as at 17/01/12, 01/04/13 and 12/09/13 - images hosted on Photobucket

This link to document (from the Planning Documents) states what is to happen to the building https://myservice.gateshead.gov.uk/Planning/StreamDocPage/obj.pdf?DocNo=15650225&PageNo=1&content=obj.pdf

KEN
The above was on 17/02/14

From Chronicle website 04/12/14

Gateshead Quayside landmark HMS Calliope is to get a £2.9m make over

EXTRACTS

A prominent Quayside building is to get a £2.9m make-over by the Royal Navy.

Work on HMS Calliope, which sits close to the River Tyne between the BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art and the Sage in Gateshead, is due to begin after Christmas with new cladding for the walls and roof.

The dramatic overhaul is being put in place as the Royal Naval Reserve Training Unit and the Royal Marines Reserve Unit, formerly based on the other side of the river at Anzio House, merge facilities for the first time.

Reservists from across Tyneside use the building every week for training, and the new-look headquarters will also get a new Navy boat store, a viewing deck and a new mezzanine level with offices, new signs and lighting.

A spokesperson for the Ministry of Defence, said planning permission was granted earlier this year and renovation and construction work on HMS Calliope is planned to begin after Christmas.

She said: “The estimated cost of the project is just under £2.9 million.

AND

The current grey-roofed building, which is a key feature of the riverside, was built in 1968 but now sits between Gateshead’s cultural venues and high rise luxury flats.

It is the principle training unit for the North East and although HMS Calliope does not actually sail, it is technically classed as a ship by the Navy and is known as a “stone frigate”.

Full article on http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/quayside-landmark-hms-calliope-29m-8228575

KEN

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
It is very disappointing to see this redevelopment of HMS Calliope going ahead.

This should have been relocated with the regeneration of Gateshead Quays.

Whereas it is a really positive thing to have the Royal Navy stationed on the Tyne, it is not to have it in such a critical and prominent place. The whole idea of the regeneration is to open up and democratise the quays of the Tyne and by its nature an MOD is counter to this philosophy.

Despite the re-emergence of industry and commerce on the banks of the Tyne it does seem strange that there couldn't have been some kind of successful negotiation for relocation. It is reasonable to assume the MOD pig headed attitude of 'we defend the realm so we do what we like' probably overruled the Local Authority and a lack of interest by Secretary of State to intervene has permanently consigned the actual regeneration of Gateshead Quays to a state of limbo.

And after spending £3M they are categorically not going to move

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
HMS Calliope

It is very disappointing to see this redevelopment of HMS Calliope going ahead.

This should have been relocated with the regeneration of Gateshead Quays.

Whereas it is a really positive thing to have the Royal Navy stationed on the Tyne, it is not to have it in such a critical and prominent place. The whole idea of the regeneration is to open up and democratise the quays of the Tyne and by its nature an MOD is counter to this philosophy.

Despite the re-emergence of industry and commerce on the banks of the Tyne it does seem strange that there couldn't have been some kind of successful negotiation for relocation. It is reasonable to assume the MOD pig headed attitude of 'we defend the realm so we do what we like' probably overruled the Local Authority and a lack of interest by Secretary of State to intervene has permanently consigned the actual regeneration of Gateshead Quays to a state of limbo.

And after spending £3M they are categorically not going to move
I would imagine that the MOD gave serious consideration to relocating HMS Calliope into Anzio House, business/operational case must favour Gateshead. Its all about budget costs these days.

I was looking through some shots that I took back in September 2005 - I don't think there will be an opportunity to repeat as they were taken from the 'Cog on the Tyne'.

Images hosted on http://GeordiePhotographs.fototime.com/Quayside/Cog on the Tyne

·
12,972 Posts
Absolutely it's entitled to be there.

It'd just be a much nicer place if it wasn't.
The other dimension [set to one side the aesthetic value of the place which isn't great] is a simple cash one. It's a piece of prime real estate which the MOD are sitting on and I can't imagine that there are any particular military reasons for it's being precisely there. I assume it could be parked on a brownfield site downriver.

Not a political point but if UK Plc is skint then a sale would create further income.

Can't speak from any expertise but there's also the Marines' building at St Peters, are they really both needed ?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
The other dimension [set to one side the aesthetic value of the place which isn't great] is a simple cash one. It's a piece of prime real estate which the MOD are sitting on and I can't imagine that there are any particular military reasons for it's being precisely there. I assume it could be parked on a brownfield site downriver.

Not a political point but if UK Plc is skint then a sale would create further income.

Can't speak from any expertise but there's also the Marines' building at St Peters, are they really both needed ?
I once worked on a project involving the MOD sitting on about a billion pounds worth of prime real estate, filled with listed buildings, costing the MOD a fortune to maintain (this is despite them fighting for years that their property should be exempt from Listing).

Bearing in mind the RN have a shortfall of about a billion as the HMGov 'forgot' to include the cost of servicing the new Aircraft Carriers from the PFI contract.

Their view is 'we defend the realm', and nothing else is more important. They aren't prepared to even look at most of their property stock and evaluate because they are just too damn important for such trivial civvy street matters.

Now i'm not trying to knock any of the forces, as I know they are filled with folks that work damned hard in sometimes impossible jobs. But some of the top brass that make these decisions are just toxic public school educated twits with no grasp of the realities of the civilian UK. I suspect the situation with HMS Calliope might just be the same.

Gateshead Council should have refused planning and lobbied the Secretary of State to intervene. Its blocking the full regeneration of Newcastle and Gateshead- the most important public space in the most important urban area of the most deprived region of England.

·
12,972 Posts
I once worked on a project involving the MOD sitting on about a billion pounds worth of prime real estate, filled with listed buildings, costing the MOD a fortune to maintain (this is despite them fighting for years that their property should be exempt from Listing).

Bearing in mind the RN have a shortfall of about a billion as the HMGov 'forgot' to include the cost of servicing the new Aircraft Carriers from the PFI contract.

Their view is 'we defend the realm', and nothing else is more important. They aren't prepared to even look at most of their property stock and evaluate because they are just too damn important for such trivial civvy street matters.

Now i'm not trying to knock any of the forces, as I know they are filled with folks that work damned hard in sometimes impossible jobs. But some of the top brass that make these decisions are just toxic public school educated twits with no grasp of the realities of the civilian UK. I suspect the situation with HMS Calliope might just be the same.

Gateshead Council should have refused planning and lobbied the Secretary of State to intervene. Its blocking the full regeneration of Newcastle and Gateshead- the most important public space in the most important urban area of the most deprived region of England.
I once had an office on a 'cough' large northern military camp. At that stage each regiment based there had their own polo field - and they were considered essential... go figure.

see post 773 cheers
Surely that's back to front - I assume they are flogging the St Peters site [though it doesn't seem to say that] Surely Caliope would be a better sell - money and location [and Anzio is way newer and doesn t need a refurb].

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I once had an office on a 'cough' large northern military camp. At that stage each regiment based there had their own polo field - and they were considered essential... go figure.

Surely that's back to front - I assume they are flogging the St Peters site [though it doesn't seem to say that] Surely Caliope would be a better sell - money and location [and Anzio is way newer and doesn t need a refurb].
I would not be surprised if British engines take over the Anzio site or calliope did share the Anzio site with a bit of political bluff to up the anti for the calliope site. expect the unexpected. I do know Gateshead council have tried to negotiate the removal of calliope for years with the commander but he has always said that the site was central for recruitment with its easy access for transport why on earth should they move. Anzio is quite a bit larger than its sister site calliope so logically you would think it was the best option.cheers:eek:hno:

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
They could have still had their base on the Gateshead Quays in a highly prominent position, maybe behind the Baltic or on the Brett Oils site. Its just such a shame there can't be a loop formed from the Swing Bridge to the Millennium Bridge that people could walk around. It is perhaps most obvious when they have the Great North Mile event and have to run along a load of security fencing on the Gateshead side to show how poorly located the base is!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't disagree with the fact HMS Calliope and the Royal Navy have a right to be situated there. However, from an aesthetic and practical point of view for the general public and tourists alike, it's in a terrible location.

I think everyone would agree, it would be great to be able to make a pedestrian/cycle way along the river front on the Gateshead side. Creating a loop between Newcastle quayside via the Swing and Millennium bridges.

My other concern from those artist impressions is - although its a definite improvement on the current building, to me (with the illuminated signs) it looks like an attraction as opposed to a Naval Base. Given its location between 2 of the biggest tourist attractions in the NorthEast - I would forgive a tourist or foreign visitor to mistake it for an attraction as opposed to a Naval Base.

In an ideal world, I would like to see Calliope relocated and this building used as a museum showcasing our heritage focusing solely on the River Tyne - perhaps using some exhibits from the Discovery Museum. From shipping coals to ship building, Newcastle and Gateshead were born from the river and a dedicated museum to this subject would make a great tourist attraction and the location of this building would suit such a museum nicely.

But its not going to happen, it just seems a shame.

·
The Northumbrian
2,109 Posts

"Tyneside has long been home to both a Royal Naval Reserve Unit, known as HMS Calliope, and a Royal Marines Reserve unit, known as RMR Tyne. This project will locate both units in the same building leading to greater efficiency and therefore savings.”
http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/update/2014-12-05/new-look-for-gateshead-quayside-unveiled/

·
12,972 Posts

"Tyneside has long been home to both a Royal Naval Reserve Unit, known as HMS Calliope, and a Royal Marines Reserve unit, known as RMR Tyne. This project will locate both units in the same building leading to greater efficiency and therefore savings.”
http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/update/2014-12-05/new-look-for-gateshead-quayside-unveiled/
Yes I d spotted that:

But this would seem to be an exercise in closing the newer one built on cheap land to rebuild the older one, built on rather expensive land.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts