SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
20,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Gateshead Quayside landmark HMS Calliope now getting a £2.9m make over - pictures 05/02/15

Last covered by myself on post #790 on 04/12/14

The scheme

DC/13/01549/FUL

Refurbishment of the existing Royal Naval Reserve Training Unit, works including; part demolition of existing boat store, overcladding of elevations, outbuildings and roof, erection of single storey boat store extension on West elevation, construction of viewing deck on East elevation (with stair enclosure), installation of free standing rope frame and external assault course. And including entrance alterations to improve accessibility.

H M S Calliope South Shore Road Gateshead Tyne And Wear NE8 2BE

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MXSFN6HK3Y000

and http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NB0LPHHK08J00
is now underway

On Thursday 05/02/15 in period 1045 - 1300 took the following pictures showing the base including recently positioned cabins etc by main contractor Surgo

The perfect site to be photographed for progress of the works - capable of being viewed from almost every angle and from elevated positions (including from inside Sage building)

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I wonder if the royal navy could be persuaded to be good neighbours and open up the river frontage /quayside they currently occupy to the public to link the millennium bridge and the swing bridge. it would be a narrow path but probably better than nothing. cheers

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
I wonder if the royal navy could be persuaded to be good neighbours and open up the river frontage /quayside they currently occupy to the public to link the millennium bridge and the swing bridge. it would be a narrow path but probably better than nothing. cheers
Nice idea but the RN and now the Fire Brigade Marine Unit require access to the river and any public footpath would surely get in the way - then there would be the cost and who would pay for it, construction of pathway, security fencing, public liability insurance and maintenance costs. Also you would have problems in controlling the public when a helicopter was required to land.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Nice idea but the RN and now the Fire Brigade Marine Unit require access to the river and any public footpath would surely get in the way - then there would be the cost and who would pay for it, construction of pathway, security fencing, public liability insurance and maintenance costs. Also you would have problems in controlling the public when a helicopter was required to land.
Its a sad state of affairs really.

Riverside access also scuppers my idea of a series of floating pavilions with a public route to bypass Calliope.

Maybe (one day) a development at GQ2 would reinforce the Quayside 'loop', consisting of Swing Bridge, Newcastle Quayside, Millennium Bridge, Baltic Square, GQ2, Sage, then down from St. Mary's Square to a riverside development at Hillgate Quay under the Tyne Bridge before finally back to the Swing Bridge again.

Not all Quayside developments should have open democratic access to the waterfront, after all throughout the Quayside's history there has been functioning warehouses and industrial units which block continuous access. At least there is some kind of 'industrial' function left on the Quayside. Even if it should have been relocated further down river so RN ships such as HMS Duncan could moor adjacent to.

Just trying to suggest the best out of a bad situation

·
Registered
20,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Gateshead Quayside landmark HMS Calliope now getting a £2.9m make over - pictures 07/03/15

Last covered by myself on post #820 on 06/02/15

The scheme

DC/13/01549/FUL

Refurbishment of the existing Royal Naval Reserve Training Unit, works including; part demolition of existing boat store, overcladding of elevations, outbuildings and roof, erection of single storey boat store extension on West elevation, construction of viewing deck on East elevation (with stair enclosure), installation of free standing rope frame and external assault course. And including entrance alterations to improve accessibility.

On Saturday 07/03/15 approx 1615 - 1645 took a look to see what progress was being being made - nothing obvious from the outside, and took the following pictures to show situation at that time

KEN

·
Registered
20,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Gateshead Quayside landmark HMS Calliope now getting a £2.9m make over - pictures 19/03/15

Walked past on Friday and there was definitely work starting on that, they were digging up the ground outside the building (inside the premises).
Last covered by myself on post #827 on 08/03/15

The scheme

DC/13/01549/FUL

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MXSFN6HK3Y000

and http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NB0LPHHK08J00

Thanks for tip off about work starting

On Thursday 19/03/15 approx 1030 took a look to see what progress was being being made and took the following pictures to show situation at that time of work being carried out by Owen Pugh machine

Scheme seems being called "Project Tyneside"

These pictures looking east at the base taken from High Level Bridge 19/03/15 approx 1345

KEN

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Cant they go to where the Tuxedo used to be or where Baja is before the swing bridge....We're stuck with this for life now. Although I do think they are good presence on the Tyne, they are just slightly in the wrong place.

·
Registered
20,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Gateshead Quayside landmark HMS Calliope now getting a £2.9m make over - pictures 29/04/15

Gateshead Quayside landmark HMS Calliope now getting a £2.9m make over - pictures 29/04/15

Previously covered by myself with pictures in posts #790, 820, 827 (and by others after post #790), last covered by myself on post #838 on 19/03/15

The scheme

DC/13/01549/FUL

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onlin...=MXSFN6HK3Y000

and http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/onlin...=NB0LPHHK08J00

On Wednesday 29/03/15 in period approx 1130 - 1315 took the following pictures to show situation at that time of work being carried out by main contractor Surgo and subcontractors - cladding rails and insulation boards now been fitted

Scheme being called "Project Tyneside"

KEN

·
Registered
20,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Gateshead Quayside landmark HMS Calliope now getting a £2.9m make over - pictures 14/05/15

Previously covered by myself with pictures in posts #790, 820, 827, 838 (and by others after post #790), last covered by myself on post #852 on 29/04/15

The scheme

DC/13/01549/FUL

http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NB0LPHHK08J00

and http://public.gateshead.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NJK6ENHK09400 (Signs)

On Thursday 14/05/15 at approx 1145 and in period approx 1215 - 1230 took the following pictures to show situation at that time of work being carried out by main contractor Surgo and subcontractors - cladding rails and insulation boards continue to be fitted and now structural steel frame and masonry happening to boat store at west elevation

From Tyne Bridge

Across the Tyne

From Millennium Bridge

From Baltic Square

From inside Sage

KEN

·
Registered
20,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Gateshead Quayside landmark HMS Calliope now getting a £2.9m make over - pictures 30/05/15

Previously covered by myself with pictures in posts #790, 820, 827, 838 (and by others after post #790), 852, last covered by myself on post #861 on 14/05/15

The scheme

DC/13/01549/FUL

On Saturday 30/05/15 in period approx 1300 - 1415 took the following pictures to show situation at that time of work being carried out by main contractor Surgo and subcontractors - cladding rails and insulation boards continue to be fitted and now structural steel frame and masonry happening to boat store at west elevation

KEN

·
Registered
20,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Gateshead Quayside landmark HMS Calliope now getting a £2.9m make over - pictures 13/06/15

Previously covered by myself with pictures in posts #790, 820, 827, 838 (and by others after post #790), 852, 861 last covered by myself on post #865 on 31/05/15

The scheme

DC/13/01549/FUL

On Saturday 13/06/15 approx 0915 took the following pictures to show situation at that time of work being carried out by main contractor Surgo and subcontractors - cladding rails and insulation boards continue to be fitted and now structural steel frame and masonry happening to boat store at west elevation

Noticed also that concrete panels forming wall on south side of building now in process of being removed along with masonry wall

KEN

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
With the stubborn permanence of HMS Calliope's location it is time to rethink Gateshead Quayside route. One day when the GQ2 site is built on and the former Tuxedo Princess site developed the Quayside route instead of being a waterfront walk (like on the other side of the river) can instead be thought of a route up, through and down via the SAGE.

·
Registered
20,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Gateshead Quayside landmark HMS Calliope now getting a £2.9m make over - pictures 27/06/15

Previously covered by myself with pictures in posts #790, 820, 827, 838 (and by others after post #790), 852, 861 865 last covered by myself on post #868 on 13/06/15

The scheme

DC/13/01549/FUL

On Saturday 27/06/15 approx 1115 (on a day when a Sky Cycle Ride was taking place) took the following pictures from east of and inside Sage Gateshead building (following a recent post showing some of the structure for the glazing) to show situation at that time of work being carried out by main contractor Surgo and subcontractors - cladding rails and insulation boards continue to be fitted, structural steel frame and masonry happening to boat store at west elevation and now structural steelwork in place at east end

KEN

·
Registered
20,466 Posts
Gateshead Quayside landmark HMS Calliope now getting a £2.9m make over - pictures 30/06/15 Part 1 of 2

Previously covered by myself over on the "Tyne Riverside" thread, at posts #790, 820, 827, 838 (and by others after post #790), 852, 861 865, 868 last covered by myself on post #873 of that thread, on 27/06/15.

The scheme

DC/13/01549/FUL

On Tuesday 30/06/15 in period approx 1900 - 1930 took the following pictures (over 2 posts) from north of the Tyne, the Millennium Bridge and east of Sage Gateshead building in particular to show north and east elevations at that time.

Work being carried out by main contractor Surgo and subcontractors - cladding rails and insulation boards continue to be fitted, structural steel frame and masonry happening to boat store at west elevation and now structural steelwork in place at east end

Perimeter wall to south now replaced with steel palisade fence

More on following post

KEN

·
Registered
20,466 Posts
Gateshead Quayside landmark HMS Calliope now getting a £2.9m make over - pictures 30/06/15 Part 2 of 2

Part 2 of 2

Previously covered by myself over on the "Tyne Riverside" thread, with pictures in posts #790, 820, 827, 838 (and by others after post #790), 852, 861 865, 868 and last covered by myself on post #873 of that thread, on 27/06/15

On Tuesday 30/06/15 in period approx 1900 - 1930 took the following pictures (over 2 posts) from north of the Tyne, the Millennium Bridge and east of Sage Gateshead building in particular to show north and east elevations at that time.

KEN

·
Registered
20,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Gateshead Quayside landmark HMS Calliope now getting a £2.9m make over - pictures 04/07/15

Previously covered by myself over on the "Tyne Riverside" thread, with pictures in posts #790, 820, 827, 838 (and by others after post #790), 852, 861 865, 868 and last covered by myself on post #873 of that thread, on 27/06/15 - from early July now being covered on this project thread

On Saturday 04/07/15 approx 1800 took the following pictures from east footpath of Tyne Bridge (recently closed to public access due to the protester on upper part of the bridge) to show works at that time.

KEN

·
Registered
20,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Gateshead Quayside HMS Calliope undergoing a £2.9m make over - pictures 10/07/15

Last covered by myself with pictures in post #38 on 05/07/15

The scheme

DC/13/01549/FUL

On Friday 10/07/15 in period approx 1115 - 1245 took the following pictures from various locations to show situation at that time of work being carried out by main contractor Surgo and subcontractors

Work now happening to main pitched roof area

KEN

·
Registered
20,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Gateshead Quayside HMS Calliope undergoing a £2.9m make over - pictures 15/07/15

Last covered by myself with pictures in post #39 on 10/07/15

The scheme

DC/13/01549/FUL

On Tuesday 14/07/15 in period approx 1945 - 2000 took the following pictures from various locations to show situation at that time of work being carried out by main contractor Surgo and subcontractors

KEN

21 - 40 of 135 Posts