SkyscraperCity banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
20,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #121 (Edited)
Gateshead Quayside HMS Calliope rededication ceremony on 09/04/16 Part 5 of 8

Part 5 of 8

Pictures (over 8 posts) taken by myself of the official rededication ceremony held for HMS Calliope held at Baltic Square, South Shore Rd, Gateshead on Saturday 09/04/16 in period approx 1015 - 1130

Everyone out of the building 1103

The "top brass" inspection party on their way

The "top brass" inspection party arrive approx 1105

Images hosted on Photobucket

More on following post

KEN

·
Registered
20,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
Gateshead Quayside HMS Calliope rededication ceremony on 09/04/16 Part 6 of 8

Part 6 of 8

Pictures (over 8 posts) taken by myself of the official rededication ceremony held for HMS Calliope held at Baltic Square, South Shore Rd, Gateshead on Saturday 09/04/16 in period approx 1015 - 1130

Inspecting as the flag descends the Baltic

More on following post

KEN

·
Registered
20,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #123 (Edited)
Gateshead Quayside HMS Calliope rededication ceremony on 09/04/16 Part 7 of 8

Part 7 of 8

"Top brass" on way back to building approx 1120

More on following post

KEN

·
Registered
20,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #124 (Edited)
Gateshead Quayside HMS Calliope rededication ceremony on 09/04/16 Part 8 of 8

Part 8 of 8

Dispersal

Dignitaries and guests heading back into the building approx 1125

KEN

·
Registered
20,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
HMS Calliope, Gateshead Quayside - interior pictures, 09/04/16 Part 1 of 2

Pictures of parts of the interior (over 2 posts) taken by myself at HMS Calliope, Gateshead on Saturday 09/04/16 in period approx 1400 - 1415

My thanks to Warrant Officer Andrews, who following a verbal request made when I saw her at around 1015, gave me permission to view the inside of the refurbished building, after 1400, and who gave me a short conducted tour of certain parts of the establishment, also allowing photographs to be be taken

Opening plaque

Cake for the opening ceremony

Main area overlooking the Tyne

Area in which buffet was held - part of larger area (still with guests from ceremony hence no picture)

In excess of £300,000 of gym equipment provided as part of the upgrade

More on following post

KEN

·
Registered
20,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
HMS Calliope, Gateshead Quayside - interior pictures, 09/04/16 Part 2 of 2

Part 2 of 2

Pictures of parts of the interior (over 2 posts) taken by myself at HMS Calliope, Gateshead on Saturday 09/04/16 in period approx 1400 - 1415

Gym (continued)

Circulation areas

Main Reception

View from Millennium Bridge

After today think we can call the refurbishment works COMPLETED

KEN

·
Registered
20,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Military spectacle marks £3.1m revamp of Gateshead's HMS Calliope

On Chronicle Live website on 09/04/16 this from BARBARA HODGSON

EXTRACT

A parade and band on Saturday morning celebrated the investment in the training base, which now sees marines join naval reserves

It’s an institution that has seen generations of families pass through it on the way to protecting their country.

Now, loved ones and friends have been treated to a military parade on Gateshead’s Quayside to mark the formal re-opening of HMS Calliope.

Joined by spectators in Baltic Square, they watched reservists from the Royal Naval training unit take part in Saturday’s re-dedication ceremony following its £3.1m revamp.

The sun came out as the parade crossed the Millennium Bridge accompanied by music from The Band of Her Majesty’s Royal Marines Scotland.

The upgrade of the base, which includes new classrooms and a state-of-the-art gym with a climbing wall, makes it “fit for purpose” for the future, said HMS Calliope’s commanding officer.

Full article including 31 picture Image Gallery and 1 min 30 second video on http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/military-spectacle-marks-31m-revamp-11162341

KEN

·
Registered
20,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
HMS Calliope Facebook view of their rededication ceremony on 09/04/16

Text and pictures from HMS Calliope Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/hmscalliope/photos/?tab=album&album_id=854974217941176

On April 9th 2016, the building works for HMS Calliope's regeneration were finally complete, and the building was reopened in style.

After a night of biblical rain, the sun made an appearance just in time for guests to start arriving.

A parade made up of HMS Calliope's Ships Company, Royal Marine Reserve Scotland, Tyne detachment and Our local Sea Cadet Units marched over the Millennium bridge to the sounds of the Royal Marines Band.

They were joined by HMS Calliope' (and 3 members of HMS Ceres!) Guard. Once assembled on the Baltic Square, the order was given to march on the colour.

Rear Admiral Simon Williams, Flag Officer Reserves, and Susan Winfield the Lord Lieutenant for Tyne and Wear inspected the troops, before a few rousing words from HMS Calliopes Commanding Officer Commander Ian White.

Shortly after the parade was dismissed, and everyone joined Ships Company inside for the revealing of the commemorative plaque and cutting of the cake, not to mention a few awards being handed out!

The rest of the day was reserved for celebration, and merriment, if you were lucky you might have spotted some of our sailors on the other side of the river later that day!

BZ to all who took part!

57 pictures to be viewed on the above link

KEN

·
Registered
20,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
HMS Calliope, South Shore Rd, Gateshead Quayside - further pictures up to 02/05/16

Pictures taken by myself Saturday 23/04/16 & Bank Holiday Monday 02/05/16 showing main entrance (unobstructed view) and think an "addition" of inscribed stone to the parade yard at east end of building - unfortunately on a wet morning 02/05/16 was unable to get clear enough picture of the inscription

23/04/16

02/05/16

KEN

·
13,036 Posts
I was in the officers mess of Calliope yesterday [it was part of the City Games and used as a media centre]. First time I ve noticed this pic of the a'hem field marshall. Not what I'd expected at all...

Mine. Photobucket

·
Registered
20,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Climbing Tower of HMS Calliope, South Shore Rd, Gateshead Quayside - pictures 24/06/17

Picture taken by myself Sunday 25/06/17 approx 1200 showing different view of the Climbing Tower of HMS Calliope, South Shore Rd, Gateshead

Taken from the area where you used to board the Tuxedo "Boat"

KEN

·
Registered
20,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Royal Navy vessels at HMS Calliope, Gateshead - pictures 01/08/20

Pictures by myself from Saturday 01/08/20 AM showing Naval vessels P164 & P165 tied up at pontoon of HMS Calliope, Gateshead

P165 HMS Example see HMS Example (P165) | Royal Navy

EXTRACT

HMS Example is an Archer-class patrol vessel attached the Northumbrian University Royal Naval Unit (URNU). Her primary role is to provide training to Officer Cadets and prepare them for a career in the Royal Navy.

HMS Example is based at HMS Calliope in Gateshead. She is proud to be affiliated with: HMS Dauntless, HMS Northumberland, 703 Naval Air Squadron, The town of Whitby, Durham School CCF, Newcastle RGS CCF, Sedbergh School CC and Northumberland District Sea Cadet Corps

P164 HMS Explorer see HMS Explorer (P164) | Royal Navy

EXTRACT

HMS Explorer provides hands-on experience for students from Leeds, Sheffield and Hull – she’s the sea training vessel for Yorkshire Universities Royal Naval Unit.

KEN
IMG_3944 vessels at HMS Calliope.JPG
IMG_3952.JPG
IMG_3950 vessels at HMS Calliope.JPG
IMG_3963 vessels at HMS Calliope.JPG
IMG_3980.JPG

·
Registered
20,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Royal Navy vessels at HMS Calliope, Gateshead - pictures 05/09/20

Pictures by myself from Saturday 05/09/20 approx 1145 showing into addition to Naval vessels P164 & P165 (shown in post immediately above) a further vessel P293, HMS Ranger, tied up at pontoon of HMS Calliope, Gateshead

HMS Ranger from HMS Ranger (P293) | Royal Navy

EXTRACT

HMS Ranger is one of 14 Archer-class patrol vessels of the 1st Patrol Boat Squadron (1PBS). Currently based in Portsmouth, she maintains a close relationship with the Sussex University Royal Naval Unit (URNU).

Views from Swing Bridge

KEN

121 - 135 of 135 Posts