SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
planquadrat
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent a few days in Saigon last June and would like to share some photos from my walks around the city.

Saigon does not offer the ultra-modern feel of Singapore or the coolness and buzz of Bangkok but it is a city that has to be seen. To begin with, I was rather amazed by the heavy French influence which is still felt there. It certainly feels very different from any other city in Asia that I have been to.

What also has to be said is the poeple. I have never been to Vietnam before and was rather impressed by how nice and polite the poeple are. Saigon feels very much an 'up and coming' metropolis and it is a matter of time before we'll be seeing more and more of it. I am very happy I made it there now rather than later. It is a very nice, pleasant and beautiful city

First views from the plane. There is a rather huge amount of constructions (including infrastructure) taking place. Perhaps something that was happening in China not too long ago

Urban landscape. HCMC is not too much of a highrise city. Although new highrises are popping up all over the place

Landing at Tan Son Nhat International Airport

·
planquadrat
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Airport terminal

First experience of the city as a pedestrian - Near Ben Thanh Market where I was staying

What instantly attracted my attention was a rather widespread use of English on street signs and names

Luxury shops located on the ground floor of famous Rex Hotel

·
planquadrat
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bitexco Financial Tower is well visible from many locations in District 1. It is a true modern landmark and statement of a city that has a strong determination to go forward. In my opinion it is one of the most beautiful skyscrapers built recently

Motorbike traffic is very intense and rather extreme in some cases. This is the main means of transport in the city

Pedestrian walk along Le Loi street

·
planquadrat
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are many coffe shops all over the central area of Saigon which extends beyond District 1

·
planquadrat
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Continuing with my photos from some main areas in District 1

I have noticed a lot of modernist/ArtDeco-like buildings in Saigon. However my efforts to find some systematic and clear information on the Internet were fruitless. It would be really interesting to know moare about he architectural heritage of Saigon because it does feel very interesting

·
planquadrat
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rex Hotel. There is a rooftop bar there. I will get there later

Municipal Theatre

·
planquadrat
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back facade of the Municipal Theatre

Hai Ba Trung, one of the main streets in District 1

·
planquadrat
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Continued

A fire brigade was performing an exercise on the Metropolitan Towers. A bunch of people on the street were watching

·
planquadrat
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Statue of Mary at the nearby Notre Dame Basilica Cathedral

The Cathedral itself

Street posters

·
planquadrat
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really enjoyed watching all those posters. I have no idea what's written on them but some of them are self-explanatory

1 - 20 of 129 Posts