SkyscraperCity Forum banner
61 - 80 of 129 Posts

·
planquadrat
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Continued. Random views around District 1

Part of the street dedicated almost exclusively to motorbike/scooter shops. Given that this is by far the most popular means of transport in Saigon it is no surprise. The amount of scooters on the street is unimaginable. I just wonder how Vietnam is going to cope with increasing number of cars (at the present it is still very low even in Saigon)? At the moment the streets in Saigon are surprisingly easy and not congested. This is due to low number of cars compared to, say, Bangkok or Beijing. However it may take just a couple of years before the number of cars jumps up. I wonder if there is any safeguard policy preventing people from buying more cars? There better be some if Saigon wants to avoid endless traffic jams. Scooters are not such a bad idea anyway.

Lambretta scooter shop. I would guess Italian scooters are more expensive

·
planquadrat
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Saigon, unlike any other city in South East Asia (or China) that I had a chance to visit, seems to have preserved its original street layout and urbanization pattern,. I don't know if there are plans to tear it all down and build up with highrises but at the moment it feels very cozy and characteristic. A bit like some European cities (obviously not least thanks to the French presence in Vietnam a while ago). It is a very interesting trend, however. There are many modern and new lowrise buildings like this one in the photo which create a modern image of the city. This is what makes Saigon somewhat different from other rapidly developing cities in Asia

I was drinking quite a bit of beer while in Saigon. Local brews are fairly good and on par with any popular International brands. Heineken is seemingly popular despite being much more expensive. I would guess it has a more 'hi end' image despite being no different from local beers in terms of quality and taste

I have been readong some horror stories aboout taxi scams in Saigon however it seems tohave been overblown and far from reality. I used taxis a number of times and it must be one of the best and most civilized taxi services I have used in any city (i used Vinasun and Mai Linh). The drivers were polite, presentable, wearing uniforms and seemingly doing their job very well)

·
planquadrat
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
The next batch of photos is from War Remnants Museum which is dedicated to the Vietnam-US war and is depicting the horror and war crimes of the war. There is a number of interesting displays including US Army and South Vietnamese gear including aircraft, armored vehicles and weapons

·
planquadrat
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
hi,pasori,you still in saigon?why don't take a chance go to Vung Tau? :D it's just 1-2 hours by hydrofoil
No KoolKool, I am back to London now. I only spent one week in Saigon. I've heard about Vung Tau but decided to spend more time in Saigon instead (I also had a half-day trip to Cu Chi tunnels). But perhaps at some point I will pay a visit to Vung Tau as well. There are many places I want to see in Vietnam and I am planning to be back many times. :)

61 - 80 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.