Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bypass of the Hobart CBD has been discussed for some time, but it has recently come into the news a bit - and a couple of concrete (pardon the pun) proposals put forward.. so I figure it is worth a thread!

Option #1
This one is by Adrian Bold - currently only visible on Facebook:

Main page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hobart-City-Bypass/161608277185396

Overview pic:



concept - new 4-lane road from Davey St/Southern Outlet intersection, around the back of West Hobart, to Giblin St, Lenah Valley.

Option #2
Proposed by retired surveyor Max Darcey and supported by HCC councillor Damon Thomas.

Tunnel from Davey St/Southern Outleet intersection, under West Hobart and North Hobart, intersection with Brooker Hwy near Burnett St. Stage 2 from this intersection under Queens Domain, on to Tasman Bridge.

Mentioned by ABC news today, picture below found in HCC meeting agenda PDF. Uploaded as image file:

 

·
derp
Joined
·
10,274 Posts
IIRC, the city bypass proposed in HATS was along the line of Bathurst Street.
lol @ the Mercury 'unearthing' a public plan

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/11/24/188421_tasmania-news.html

The city bypass that stalled
CHARLES WATERHOUSE | November 24, 2010 12.01am


An artist's impression of the city freeway system proposed for Hobart during the 1960s by US consulting engineers Wilbur Smith and Associates.

THIS is the radical proposal from the 1960s to solve Hobart's traffic congestion.

As debate rages again over the best way to manage traffic in the city, the Mercury has unearthed the controversial plan for a freeway system that would have carved through inner-city suburbs.

The Hobart Area Transportation Study was conceived by US consulting engineers Wilbur Smith and Associates and commissioned by the Department of Public Works, the Transport Commission and Hobart City Council.

This week the council voted for a report on one-way major and minor arterial roads reverting to two-way to relieve congestion on CBD roads.

But transport expert Bob Cotgrove says revisiting a scaled-down version of the 1964 bypass plan through the city's western suburbs is the only way to fix traffic woes.

The plan's centrepiece, the Northside Freeway, would have been a bypass for busy Davey and Macquarie streets.

It would have been through streets including Molle, Goulburn and Barrack and between Bathurst and Brisbane streets, leading to Brooker Ave.

Mr Cotgrove opposed the plan at the time because the social and environmental costs were too great but now considers a ground-level, more environmentally friendly bypass on this route is worth re-evaluating.

He said the Wilbur Smith and Associates report caused controversy because it would have been an elevated, ugly concrete structure.

"I was very much opposed to it at the time, it was an overkill," he said.

As well as collecting southern expressway traffic there was to be a Grosvenor St freeway connection to Sandy Bay.

And a cutting through the Queen's Domain, also controversial, was proposed.

"Since then the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction and planners have taken the direct opposite view now opposed to motoring," Mr Cotgrove said.

"They hate motorists and think everyone should get on a bike.

"The present position is idealistic, politically driven and out of touch with reality."

He said there needed to be a middle position.

Mr Cotgrove said the proposed city freeway plan was enthusiastically received by the Tasmanian Government and Hobart City Council but because of the massive cost of implementing it, was stalled and ultimately abandoned.

"I definitely think the need for a western bypass of the CBD is still there," he said.

This would make it easier for southern and northern suburbs traffic to bypass the CBD on the western side and could easily be achieved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,062 Posts
A bypass of the Hobart CBD has been discussed for some time, but it has recently come into the news a bit - and a couple of concrete (pardon the pun) proposals put forward.. so I figure it is worth a thread!

Option #2
Proposed by retired surveyor Max Darcey and supported by HCC councillor Damon Thomas.

Tunnel from Davey St/Southern Outleet intersection, under West Hobart and North Hobart, intersection with Brooker Hwy near Burnett St. Stage 2 from this intersection under Queens Domain, on to Tasman Bridge.

Mentioned by ABC news today, picture below found in HCC meeting agenda PDF. Uploaded as image file:

I'm voting for this one!! It looks like it might just work. (Although I don't think you would get it all for only $100 million.) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,062 Posts
Can't really tell from the map as there is no scale, but I can't imagine it would be any longer than say 2.5 km's to the new interchange and then another 1 km under the Domain to the Tasman Bridge/Tasman Highway. Is the interchange going to be undergound too? I can't imagine the Glebe Progress Association being too keen on these plans!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't really tell from the map as there is no scale, but I can't imagine it would be any longer than say 2.5 km's to the new interchange and then another 1 km under the Domain to the Tasman Bridge/Tasman Highway. Is the interchange going to be undergound too? I can't imagine the Glebe Progress Association being too keen on these plans!!
Someone else on another forum asked the same thing, I measured it to be 2.5km too! 4km from Southern Outlet to Tasman Bridge.

Not sure on the specifics of the Brooker Hwy junction, appears to be an above-ground roundabout, with tunnels either side would it make sense for the roundabout to be underground too? i guess they have to allow for oversized through traffic to go straight along the Brooker.

It’s only a texta line on an old map at the moment, I guess if it progresses we will get more information!

Notice there’s an article in today’s Mercury about other councillors complaining that it will be “too expensive”. FFS it is a national highway = federal government responsibility, and we have an independent federal MP in a marginal seat! Between fed, state and local governments – plus suggestions it may have a toll – I’m sure the cost can be covered. The council is only being asked to investigate the feasibility of it, give it a chance!

Full council agenda: http://www.hobartcity.com.au/files/...1-9e460112241d/131210_Open_Council_Agenda.pdf
 

·
derp
Joined
·
10,274 Posts
So it can get lost in discussion of other unrelated projects? There aren't exactly a massive number of threads in this forum?
Moreso so the thread doesn't get lost - there isn't exactly a huge amount happening in Tassie so to have separate threads for each project would see them disappear off the 1st and 2nd pages quite quickly when not much happens. I'm actually quite keen to keep track of the progress of the various Tassie projects.

Btw, there's 936 threads in this forum...
 

·
EK5, CX134, NZ722, QF11
Joined
·
958 Posts
I prefer option 1 although that doesn't take the Tasman Bridge/eastern suburbs into account. What's the terrain west of West Hobart - is it suitable to keep the fwy at low cost?

The blue line Giblin St / Risdon Rd would need significant widening as well to 6 lanes - is this easily done?
 

·
derp
Joined
·
10,274 Posts
One proposal from 1977 (may have been from within the DMR?) involved following the foothills from the end of the Southern Outlet, all the way to the Brooker Highway at Berriedale Road. Suburban development since then means you can't get a clear path through to the Brooker Highway anymore. Suburban development at Merton and Lenah Valley also seems to have blocked this route.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Check out this guy who has added his name to the list of clowns proposing ridiculous road projects for Hobart:

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/12/17/193921_tasmania-news.html

Call to replace Tasman Bridge CHARLES WATERHOUSE | December 17, 2010 12.01am



Ald Richard James's concept for a new bridge, with red lines indicating traffic flow onto it and yellow lines off it.
THE time is right to consider replacing the Tasman Bridge with an eight-lane bridge, Clarence alderman Richard James says.

He says the existing bridge is an old design by modern standards.

"Traffic has to stop when ships go under the spans," he said yesterday.

"Modern day thinking and advances in construction warrant alternatives, including suspension."

He believed the bridge's life was getting close to its use-by date and this was as good a time as any to look at options for a replacement.

Ald James said the best plan was for a flat and modern cable-suspension bridge with four lanes each way, capable of handling large volumes of traffic and with lanes for buses, pedestrians and cyclists.

"The existing Tasman Bridge is in the wrong location and is not conducive to future demands," he said.

"The answer is to build a new cable suspension bridge further downstream, with the western approach adjacent to the Domain and the eastern approach in the cut in the hill between Rosny and Montagu Bay.

"This could only reduce congestion and streamline traffic flows out of the city centre on to the Tasman and East Derwent Highways. This is all about thinking ahead."

The Tasman Bridge was built between 1960 and 1964 with a projected service life of 100 years.

Ald James said he wanted to promote public debate on the issue, even if it was not to happen for another 20 years, and he said the cost would not be feasible for the State Government to fund alone.

"Notwithstanding the cost and enormity of the project, now is the time to start thinking and doing some preparatory work because sooner or later the Tasman Bridge will have to be replaced," he said.
Can't even get the direction of travel right!!! :bash:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Latest idea, but got to be dreaming if you think 90 mil will cover it!

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2011/01/15/200141_tasmania-news.html



Tunnel fans pitch for support

THE push to investigate building a road tunnel under central Hobart is gaining momentum.

The State and Federal Governments have been called to support the Hobart City Council's proposed feasibility study, with plans for the three tiers of government to meet by April.

Tunnel advocate and retired local land surveyor Max Darcey has produced a new draft plan detailing a 1km four-lane subterranean road running 8m under Davey St.

The draft tunnel is shorter than the original concept and it could halve the initial estimated cost of $90 million. Construction is estimated to take four years.

However, the start of the feasibility study hinges on the support of the State and Federal Governments.

Their support became essential after the city council voted in December to conduct the study, but only with state and federal support.

The council approved the study six votes to five.

Alderman Damon Thomas, a vocal tunnel supporter, will meet state Infrastructure Minister David O'Byrne next week.

Meanwhile, Liberal senator David Bushby has written to federal Infrastructure Minister Anthony Albanese requesting that the Federal Government chips in too.

Ald Thomas said the council wanted the feasibility study completed so the city's traffic issues could be fully understood.

"At the moment out there it's a raceway, a four-lane raceway over Macquarie and Davey streets, that cuts the city in half and gets jammed in peak hour," he said.

"It's time to find a solution, because the problem will only get worse, and that's what the feasibility study is about."

Senator Bushby said motorists were frustrated and appalled with the traffic conditions.

"This may or may not be the answer, but there is a problem and that's only going to become more acute," he said.

"That's why someone has to show some vision now, so we can look at our options, and if it is a tunnel then we need to start working towards that."

After more than five decades in surveying, Mr Darcey said seeing his long-held vision for improved traffic in Hobart find support was very satisfying.

"I like having good ideas and I think this is a winner," he said.

He said a road tunnel was not a new idea, as it had been mooted as early as 1945, but it was still a good one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
I cant beleive what was proposed for Hobart back in the 1960s, not different to what was proposed for Adelaide back in the 1960s as well...

Ive only been to Hobart once and yes even then its gets pretty busy, one way lanes, etc...
 
1 - 20 of 96 Posts
Top