SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 370 Posts

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Probably about time to start a new thread on this long overdue redevelopment of the Royal Hobart Hospital. Article from today's Mercury newspaper.

When I find some renders of what the new wing actually looks like I will post them but info seems very thin on the ground for a project worth more than half a billion dollars!! No doubt due to the incompetence of the State Government down here when it comes to major project planning...:eek:hno:

PRIME Minister Julia Gillard and federal Health Minister Nicola Roxon will visit Hobart next month to mark the start of the $565 million redevelopment of the Royal Hobart Hospital.

The first stage of the RHH's long-awaited rejuvenation will be the demolition of Block B, the 1940s nurses' block facing Campbell St, and its replacement with a new $180 million women's and children's wing.

The date for the start of demolition was set yesterday after the State Government agreed to a Federal Government funding ultimatum, allowing the first $50 million of Commonwealth funds to flow on December 7.

The next $50 million federal instalment is in March and will be matched with $80 million from the State Government to complete the 49-bed women's and children's precinctMr O'Byrne said the State Government was also on track to submit a strong application for a further $240 million for the RHH under the Health and Hospitals Fund regional priority round.

Mr Wilkie said he would not let redevelopment plans for the RHH drop behind schedule.

He also said he wanted to see the State Government include the full $215 million it must contribute to the RHH revamp in its Budget allocations.
Anyway, here is an image of the current RHH site to be going on with - the Nurse Block is the small 5storey building in the top left hand corner with a small grassed area out the front of it...the new building will replace it and then wrap around the corner (assuming another of the buildings on site will also be demolished) for about the same distance again. Not sure of the height, but it will need to be at least 6 to 7 stories, I would have thought.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Extract from Federal Health Minister press release. Still no signs of any renders yet - probably not even designed.

25 November 2010

The Australian and Tasmanian Governments have finalised an agreement for the Commonwealth to contribute $100 million to enable the construction of the Women’s and Children’s Precinct on the Royal Hobart Hospital site.

The Commonwealth Minister for Health and Ageing, Nicola Roxon, welcomed the signing of the agreement and confirmed that the first $50 million payment will be made by the Commonwealth in early December, to enable preparatory construction work to commence by the end of 2010.

“Giving hospitals the resources they need is a key priority for the Gillard Government,” said Ms Roxon.

“This $100 million agreement is the first step to transform Royal Hobart Hospital into a modern, best practice facility.”

The Tasmanian Acting Minister for Health, David O’Byrne, said the state government was looking forward to working together with the Commonwealth on this first stage of the Royal Hobart Hospital’s $565 million redevelopment.

“The $180 million Women’s and Children’s Precinct will be a state-of-the-art facility that will give our dedicated health professionals the best possible clinical environment as they care for Tasmanians in need,” said Mr O’Byrne.

“And this is just the beginning of a partnership between the state and federal governments that will result in a Royal Hobart Hospital for the future.”

The Tasmanian Government has also indicated it will submit a strong application for a further $240 million under the Health and Hospitals Fund regional priority round, which will need to meet the fund’s selection criteria.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I had the misfortune to have to visit the new emergency ward last thursday (broke foot playing futsal!)... Although it was late in the evening when we got there the waiting room was pretty packed - however there just didn't seem to be enough staff to cope, even though the part of the facility I saw (excluding the waiting room) seemed to be at barely 25% capacity - so kinda makes me wonder what staffing arangements are part of this deal, if any. We might end up with a state-of-the-art hospital with no one to work in it!

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:eek:hno: Sorry to hear about the broken foot Ordex. Hope you recover soon. I know what you mean about the Emergency Dept - many years ago I broke my leg playing soccer early on a Saturday morning and I wasn't properly treated until after 4 in the afternoon!

I tend to think you are right - it is actually easier to get $100 million as a one off payment to build a bright shiny new building with extra capacity but it is actually more expensive to then fill it with staff!

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple of snaps from lunchtime. This is the old Nurses Building earmarked for demolition later this month. Not much happening on site when I was there - just two blokes sitting in the shade of a tree.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I had the misfortune to have to visit the new emergency ward last thursday (broke foot playing futsal!)... Although it was late in the evening when we got there the waiting room was pretty packed - however there just didn't seem to be enough staff to cope, even though the part of the facility I saw (excluding the waiting room) seemed to be at barely 25% capacity - so kinda makes me wonder what staffing arangements are part of this deal, if any. We might end up with a state-of-the-art hospital with no one to work in it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyf97LAjjcY

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^ Excellent! :lol:

Apparently Julia Gillard won't be coming to Hobart for the start of demolition this month because the State Government forgot to lodge the plans with the Hobart city Council in time....:eek:hno: Expect the work to start next month!

But I still reckon JG will make an appearance at some poin, even if it is just to sign some papers or something - after all the Feds are basically paying for it!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Forgot to mention.. I saw some time ago (a few months?) planning approval appeared on the HCC site for extending the hospital into the area between the main entrance and the curved driveway - the two odd triangle shaped areas.

The plan was that the areas would be mostly glass fronted and used as waiting areas (I think they used a different term for it) then the existing waiting areas converted into more functional areas.

I don't think I saved a copy of the plans unfortunately. :(

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forgot to mention.. I saw some time ago (a few months?) planning approval appeared on the HCC site for extending the hospital into the area between the main entrance and the curved driveway - the two odd triangle shaped areas.

The plan was that the areas would be mostly glass fronted and used as waiting areas (I think they used a different term for it) then the existing waiting areas converted into more functional areas.

I don't think I saved a copy of the plans unfortunately. :(
No problem Chuq. I think i saw that too - the cost was about $3 million I thought. Anyway, with some luck we will see a start on some of that work soon.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting article from the Hobart Mercury today (15/12).

FEDERAL and state politicians were out in force this morning in Hobart for the flagged start of the $565 million redevelopment of the Royal Hobart Hospital.

As a bulldozer scrapped away at hospital foundations where the new $180 million Women and Children's Hospital wing will be built, Premier David Bartlett welcomed the beginning of a new major infrastructure and construction project in Tasmania.

Federal Health Minister Nicola Roxon said the $100 million provided to the project by the Federal Government showed its commitment to improve health facilities for Tasmanian women and children.

Ms Roxon said the Tasmanian Government was also well-placed to secure the required extra $240 million from the independent Commonwealth Health and Hospital Fund in February, to complete the entire $565 million project.

State Health Minister Michelle O'Byrne said the RHH would be transformed over the next five years.

Independent Denison MP Andrew Wilkie, who locked in the commitment that construction of the Women and Children's wing would begin this year, said the bulldozer moving in today proved "the power of one".

Mr Wilkie threw his support behind the return of a minority Labor government to power in Canberra in August, after Prime Minister Julia Gillard promised $340 million for the RHH redevelopment.

Mr Wilkie said the RHH was outdated and dilapidated and that southern Tasmanians both deserved and needed better hospital care and facilities.

No building, architectural or engineering plans for the redevelopment project, including the 10-storey Women and Children precinct on Liverpool St, have yet been lodged with the Hobart City Council

Ms O'Byrne said the council-approved bulldozer work this morning was simply to examine the foundations of the current B block on Liverpool St to see if the footings could support the addition of five extra storeys.
I must admit to being slightly confused, as previous reports talked about the old Nurses Hostel building being earmarked for demolition for the new Womens and Childrens Wing, but that is in Campbell Street, not Liverpool. :eek:hno: Still, an extra five storeys to any building on site will make a massive difference. :) Hopefully, we will see some renders shortly once the plans are actually lodged with the Council.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heres a floor plan to add to the confusion.....B Block is clearly in Campbell Street not Liverpool. I think they are planning to add the five storeys to the Campbel Street block. It looks to me like it could easily cope with the extra floor heights.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another up-date from the Mercury and as I suspected the original story got the locations wrong! This helps clear things up and if it goes according to plan it will result in a major addiition to the Hobart skyline. :)

THE long-awaited $565 million redevelopment of the dilapidated Royal Hobart Hospital has finally begun, after decades of neglect, false starts and wrong turns.

Federal Health Minister Nicola Roxon, Tasmanian Premier David Bartlett, state Health Minister Michelle O'Byrne and independent federal MP for Denison Andrew Wilkie yesterday watched as a dozer marked the start of the hospital's new $180 million women and children's wing.

Ms O'Byrne said the only way to develop the hospital was "up", with the new precinct on Campbell St, opposite the historic Theatre Royal, set to tower 10 storeys.

It will be done in two stages, with five or six new floors first built on top of the existing four-storey B-block with existing oncology and respiratory wards and psychiatric services.

After the top floors are complete, taking the new building to the same height as the existing A-block on the corner of Liverpool and Campbell streets, the four old floors below will be demolished and replaced.

The result in three years will be a new wing with 30 new beds, new birthing rooms, a birth pool and a dedicated adolescent psychiatric ward.

Planning approvals are yet to be granted by Hobart City Council for work flagged yesterday.

It is understood some elements of the plan are outside council building and planning guidelines and will require extensive public consultation and an appeal period before approval.

Mr Wilkie said the women and children's hospital project technically started within the deadline period of the end of 2010 as laid out in his agreement with the Federal Government but it was difficult to estimate when construction would start in earnest.

Ms Roxon said $50 million was handed to the state by the Federal Government this month.

She said the other $50 million of federal funds for the new wing will flow early next year when detailed architectural and engineering plans are submitted to Canberra by Ms O'Byrne's department.
Mr Bartlett heralded the plan as one of the biggest infrastructure projects done in the state.

He said the five-year project was vital to the state's economic wellbeing.

The Premier expects the staged development to provide thousands of jobs for builders and workers previously employed on the nearly completed $177 million Brighton bypass and on school building projects backed by federal economic stimulus grants.

Ms Roxon said the Federal Government saw the overhaul of the hospital as an important project for Tasmania.
She said it had been difficult working with the Tasmanian Government at times.

Partly because there had been so many different projects, plans and part-plans for the RHH either at its current city centre site or elsewhere put forward over the past three years.

In 2007, the State Government frittered away more than $12 million on its proposal to build a brand new $1 billion hospital on the Hobart waterfront.

In other developments yesterday:

Ms O'Byrne admitted the Government had changed its mind about paying Hobart Private Hospital to break a co-location contract and move offsite before 2018.

The lack of space where patients could be housed as redevelopment begins is imposing significant clinical constraints on how, and in which order, to redevelop the hospital's wings and wards.

Ms Roxon said she hoped redevelopment would help the hospital overcome its substandard ratings as exposed on the MyHospitals website.

Mr Bartlett said the State Government was committed to provide its share of funds for the $565 million project.

The RHH admitted the western side of Campbell St will need to be closed to traffic at regular intervals as construction progresses.

More than half of the proposed $565 million costs remains unfunded, but Ms Roxon said she was confident the RHH would be granted $240 million from the February round of $1.8 billion of new funding from the national Health and Hospital Fund, after its application was submitted earlier this month.

Ms Roxon said there could be "no guarantees" because the process was independent, with more than 200 hospitals and governments submitting applications totalling $5 billion.

"But we have made clear to the Tasmanian Government and we've made clear to my parliamentary colleagues that if the application meets all of the guidelines then we will be contributing," Ms Roxon said.

Mr Bartlett said the outstanding $125 million from Tasmanian coffers part of its 40 per cent share of the project's costs would be funded in state budgets over four years.
Here's an image. Final design might well be slightly different.

Reactions: welopezp

·
Registered
665 Posts
wow that seems like a strange way to replace the building but I guess they don't have anywhere to move the current occupants...?
still, end result is some more density and hopefully a modern facility!

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow that seems like a strange way to replace the building but I guess they don't have anywhere to move the current occupants...?
still, end result is some more density and hopefully a modern facility!
And somewhere suitable for futsal tragics to be treated....:)

G

·
Probably unique in the country that the hospital site has always been such: right from the initial landing of Collins expidition in 1804 when the partys doctor set up his hospital tent by the rivulet. Redeveloping the city block (again) continues the 206 year legacy at the site.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The "B Block Building" which is earmarked for an additional 5 or 6 storeys. The smaller section ("E Block") which abuts the A Block building will be demolished at some point in the future to make way for a new wing. Hopefully, plans will be lodged with the Hobart City Council in the next couple of months.

·
Registered
665 Posts
thanks for the pic op1.
given the political context of this development I wonder how far the anti-tall building brigade at the council will try knock off levels...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Re Hobart RHH redevelopment

Looking at the sketch in the Mercury article, it appears that the new building will be several levels taller than the existing building on the right, 10 levels, and also taller than the new Wellington Centre, 14 levels. A much needed height boost for the CBD.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was unfortunate enough to be in the hospital after some major back surgery on thursday after being told that the entire hospital was out of beds so I would need to be sent home after surgery. It made me think that the several dozen new beds doesn't seem to reflect the cost of the new building and where they can put invest the federal government's money.
I realise that to build something this big costs a lot and those areas are in desperate need of an overhaul, but after seeing the surgeons, nurses and doctors so frustrated that they had to tell dozens of people that their operations which they had waited years for were cancelled due to lack of space, I just wonder how successful the new building will be in terms of increasing patient/medical team satisfaction and efficiency.
</end rant>
:)

Aside from that, I'm pleased that Hobart is getting a boost in terms of building density. Just think how many jobs that new building will support in construction!

1 - 20 of 370 Posts