Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The port looks iconic, and the foundation stone has already been put down, with Chinese backing. However I'm just wondering besides the aesthetics does the star really serve a greater purpose? I can't imagine a truck of any reasonable size making a turn on any of the end points of the star.

Good news though that a new major port in Central Somalia is under construction.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Looks good :)

There is a need for a modern functional port in central/north Somalia

I do like the patriotic symbol :cheers:

Ideally all coastal major cities like Berbera,Bosaaso,Hobyo,Xamar,Marka and Kismaayo should all have/get up to date ports in the near future.

There can't be a serious development without up to date infrastructure.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Looks good :)

There is a need for a modern functional port in central/north Somalia

I do like the patriotic symbol :cheers:

Ideally all coastal major cities like Berbera,Bosaaso,Hobyo,Xamar,Marka and Kismaayo should all have/get up to date ports in the near future.

There can't be a serious development without up to date infrastructure.
Ports without Road/Rail network is waste of Money. So, hopefully we'll invest in Road/Rail network to connect the ports to the population centers & neighboring countries.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ports without Road/Rail network is waste of Money. So, hopefully we'll invest in Road/Rail network to connect the ports to the population centers & neighboring countries.
Current emphasis should be roads, and there is a $200 million plan backed by Qatar to upgrade the Mogadishu-Afgoye + Mogadishu - Jowhar roads to high-class standards. After that, once the FGS secures the cancellation of debt, the government can re-establish the Mogadishu-Afgoye railway link via the Chinese (this was the plan in the late 1980s).

If all of the agricultural zones take off in the South, then the central and Northern ports will have to step up as well because one of them will have to take a piece of the livestock trade because it can't just be Mogadishu, Bosaso and Berbera (if they also start taking in agricultural products like the prewar period). There is currently a huge gap between Mogadishu and the next sizable port (Bosaso) which is not the case in any other direction (Mogadishu to Kismayo or Bosaso to Berbera).

A link in between is very welcome, especially if the Port of Hobyo is connected to the Ogaden and takes a piece of the trade with, and exports of Ethiopia.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts