SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1871 Posts

·
Registered
27,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to Reiss for finding it, thought I'd make a separate thread...

Application Details
Application Number 2012/01429/PA
Application Type Reserved Matters Development
Site Address Plot F Arena Central Development Fronting Holiday Street Birmingham B1 1HH
Proposal Reserved Matters Application (access, appearance, landscaping, layout & scale) for erection of 210 bed hotel (Use Class C1) with associatedguest amenities, health/sport facilities & atrium link
And Elevations...

Arena Central Hotel 3 by sefton 66, on Flickr

Arena Central Hotel 2 by sefton 66, on Flickr

Arena Central Hotel 1 by sefton 66, on Flickr

The 210 Bedroom Holiday Inn Express and Leisure Club in Birmingham City Centre occupies a highly prominent, and technically challenging, site on the southern boundary of Arena Central.

The form of the hotel is driven by a myriad of site constraints not least of which the complex sub-structure existing New Street Railway Tunnel, which passes under its south east corner, and the challenging sequence of surrounding site levels and access points.

The visual appearance of the development is composed of elements derived from local and distant contextual features whilst at the same time hinting at the Site’s historic connection with the famous ATV studios and television presentation through the application of a light weight ‘pixelated’ façade.
http://www.kkaarchitecture.com/2012/03/holiday-inn-express-birmingham-at.html

:)

·
Registered
27,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With this and Kennedy Tower both being Holiday Inn Express, can we expect their current Smallbrook Queensway one to be demolished I wonder....

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
I can see what the architect's are proposing but I'm not sure if I really like it. The cladding is overdesigned and spoils it IMO :(

Look at how good the new build on Baqot Street has been, what's wrong with making it a single colour? Is another 'shouty' building needed between the Cube, Libray and V?

I personally feel that random panel cladding is only successful is it is truly random or if they're very, very subtle tonal variations. Similar cladding approaches to this building were done with the cube and Bournville college and both have spectacularly failed to get it right.

Check me out quoting myself. This is interesting http://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/Northgate/DocumentExplorer/documentstream/documentstream.aspx?name=public:0901487a80f8d934.pdf+0901487a80f8d934&unique=561989&type=eplprod_DC_PLANAPP

·
Registered
194 Posts
Those elevations have just confirmed what I said in theother thread. The street frontage is abysmal & I really hate the cladding. I just don't see this being clad in high-enough quality materials to do justice to the design....and IMO the design belongs in the bin. I think that would be a resounding no from me...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Thanks sefton. :eek:kay:

Well, I really don't know what to think lol....

I think it's a very bold move, when I saw Holiday Inn mentioned I expected something a lot worse than what has been proposed. The developer is obviously going to try and do something more interesting architecturally with Arena Central than I personally expected. I just don't know if I like it.

Looking at the masterplan Foxtrot posted it looks like this will be the tallest building on the site except for potentially one other office block.

·
Registered
27,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personally I like it, I just hope the blend of colours will turn out smooth and not a drastic colour change between them.

I assume the blank walls are because of the height difference in the site and they will actually end up below street level when the whole development comes together?

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Its a blooming good start to things!! :cheers:
^^
We were expecting blocks of this height and scale in the main Arena Central scheme, so as you say its a good start... I would like to seem some activity at street level though, a bar or coffee lounge or restaurant, can't see where the entrance is?
What we seem to have is a high bland brick frontage onto Holliday st which will not invite people towards and into the site as it develops.
The Arena central site links Brindleyplace and Paradise Forum to the Mailbox so its crucial pathways through the site are well thought out. Within the atrium I would like to see public access from Holliday Street up towards the old trustee savings bank area, otherwise this whole corner could be inaccesible to anyone and create an unimaginative street scene with no activity. I remember the old Arena Central plan had a grand "Hollywood" style film theatre entrance fronting Holliday street.
All done and said though its something..Is this the same hotel application Miller made a month or two ago though which I thought was an upmarket business class hotel?

·
Registered
561 Posts
It's growing on me, the sheer craziness of the cladding put me off at first. Has to be top notch shiny aluminium though. No excuses just because it is a budget hotel brand.

·
Birmingham - #1
Banned.
22,507 Posts
Holiday Inn actually put a lot of work into their projects, that's why I was surprised at K Tower not been reclad or anything, but I suppose that was down to Sanguine. Holiday Inn Express by Paradise Circus is a nice build.

This is also ironic because Crowne Plaza was originally Holiday Inn, signpost around Arena Centre still show this.

1 - 20 of 1871 Posts