Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This would be a major boost to the area, encouraging urban revitalization on and around Hollywood, Sunset, and Santa Monica. Do you think this will be LA's next great urban enclave? Will this area be pedestrian friendly and walkable since the Metro is only a short distance away? Will we trade bungalows and single family homes for dense apartment buildings? Overall, how will the Hollywood Central Park affect this neighborhood in a positive way?

Before:

After:

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
That's an outdated photo. The plan now stretches as south as Santa Monica Blvd.

I've been attending the community meetings for this (see my blog :))...

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw your blog. It got me interested in this project again.

You live in that area don't you? So what do you think the park would bring to your community?

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
I saw your blog. It got me interested in this project again.

You live in that area don't you? So what do you think the park would bring to your community?
Yeah, I live nearly a mile from the park site. It's going to bring a lot of opportunities and really re-shape the neighborhood, mainly re-claiming the neighborhood that was divided when the freeway was built. Currently the majority of the properties that front the freeway are some of the most decrepit in the area as the freeway was something people didn't want to live by. With a park there, that would change the situation 180 degrees, as properties that directly front the park would be prime real estate.

There's a small example of a freeway park up over the 210 in La Crescenta - it's really more of a wide bridge that's got grass and landscaping. This is a whole different scale.

You mentioned the Metro station's proximity; another community member who was at the meeting told me it's a 10-minute walk from the station to the freeway. I brought up a need for a pedestrian/bike "greenway" to link the Metro stop with the park along both Hollywood Blvd. and Western Ave.

According to the Portland-based consultants, the area *already* has European-style density figures to support something like this, but it lacks amenities like sidewalk cafes and other pedestrian-oriented developments. Certainly everything would be designed to lead people into the park.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
... Nah don't likes!!!

The funds should be used for a more worthy cause. Like double decking the 101 corridor from Hollywood to Downtown. Not a silly park that only benefits a hand full of communities. As for the FWY everyone uses them daily.....

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
... Nah don't likes!!!

The funds should be used for a more worthy cause. Like double decking the 101 corridor from Hollywood to Downtown.
If that happens, Al Quaeda just found a new terrorist target for Los Angeles.
Excellent thinking, Mr. Habib.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Is it safe to have a park over a freeway for that large a distance? Seems like a quake could really cause havoc. More parkland is always good. I read somewhere that Hollywood has the least out of all LA?

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
Is it safe to have a park over a freeway for that large a distance? Seems like a quake could really cause havoc. More parkland is always good. I read somewhere that Hollywood has the least out of all LA?
If it's engineered right, it'll work. This is not the Big Dig in Boston where water pressure and leaks make it dangerous. The decking structure will be relatively light and best of all it will include a filtered ventilation system that takes air/emissions from the tunnel and outputs much cleaner air to the outside.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
no no ferny let this be. if people see that not everything above a freeway will collapse then they will be more likely to accept a double decked freeway and not instantly think of SF

but back on subject i love this project to death!

·
Registered
23 Posts
... Nah don't likes!!!

The funds should be used for a more worthy cause. Like double decking the 101 corridor from Hollywood to Downtown. Not a silly park that only benefits a hand full of communities. As for the FWY everyone uses them daily.....
Are you kidding me? You would rather "double deck" a freakin' freeway, increasing the smog output for the region (and Downtown esp.), and encourage auto-use? ...Instead of creating more green-space where hardly any exist?

Plus, it is pretty obvious that the 101 from Alameda to the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels will eventually be capped with a beautiful park, finally connecting El Pueblo/Chinatown/Union Station to the rest of Downtown LA/Civic Center. :)

·
Avant Garde
3,807 Posts
... Nah don't likes!!!

San Francisco had a double decker freeway once...

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
... Nah don't likes!!!

You'd fail as an urban planner. No offense.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Oh please peeps, I failed absolutely nada!!!!!!

I've never claimed to be an Urban Planner and pro~Transit Advocate in the first place. As a native A~N~G~E~L~I~N~O, I'm looking for the the best and realistic answers to solve our city problems. Without trying to turn my beloved CITY OF ANGELS into a Wanna~BE NY....:bash:

Bottom line if your looking for subways and shops and density crap, move to NY and pronto. I pretty enjoy Cali just the way it is, with the exception of small gridlock, potholes, homeless, graffity, compact parking, expensive insurance, etc...etc..etc... which are being worked on as we speak, you catch my drift.

So I'm sure theirs a whole lot more Angelinos out there who would totally agree with me. That they would rather live in a house than a crowded apartment. They can do weekends landscaping and outdoor BBQ's on Sunday and blast the plasma with soround sound and no one would complaint. Pay a mortgage w/ insurance/taxes included and don't have to deal with stupid HOA fees. When that money can be put in a CD and earn some interest instead.

So basically what I'm trying to say is I like my current Los Angeles lifestyle instead of trying to hard to convert this magical place into a Little NY...:righton:

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So wanting to be more of a transit-friendly city equals wanting to be more like NYC? That's stupid.

Having a double deck freeway would create MORE traffic problems and would WORSEN the air quality. Your reasoning and your solution to the problem are both lame. No offense (again).

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
So wanting to be more of a transit-friendly city equals wanting to be more like NYC?

That's stupid.

Oh cut the shit.... is not just transit!!!

to me most here are more interested into making LA to be similar to NY. Maybe you don't see since your riding the Urban Planner wave to realize anything. So ****~***!!!!

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Density and transit are two urban qualities that are NOT exclusive to NYC! By advocating transit and density as the wave of the future we are asking for a city that's more livable, NOT a city that looks more like NYC. There's a huge difference!

Of all the nonsensical shit you've said on this forum thus far, that is BY FAR your stupidest post! Take the car-humping attitude and move to Phoenix!

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Density and transit are two urban qualities that are NOT exclusive to NYC! By advocating transit and density as the wave of the future we are asking for a city that's more livable, NOT a city that looks more like NYC. There's a huge difference!

Of all the nonsensical shit you've said on this forum thus far, that is BY FAR your stupidest post! Take the car-humping attitude and move to Phoenix!
Oh go **** yourself in the first place you piece of shit. I'm entitle to my opinion and if you don't agree, well you know where to go.

That's the kind of answer I would have expected on this forum, since everyone here thinks alike. That's fine cause there's the ral world out here that likes it just the way it is....

One more thing, if your such an urban believer why do you live in Pasadena and not Downtown/Koreatown!!!!!

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Since you are a major car humper, you could at least have the decency of humping the right ones (i.e. hybrids and electric cars). So which part do you like humping the most? The rear?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts