SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/88779#.U9vipaN5CxU

Gensler Goes Hollywood with “Vertical Campus”

by Anna Bergren Miller

Hudson Pacific Properties is banking on the continued appeal of Hollywood office space with its Icon at Sunset Bronson Studios, a 14-story tower designed by Gensler. Targeting creative professionals, Icon reconfigured the suburban campus typology for an urban setting. Gensler associate Amy Pokawatana called the development a “vertical campus,” blending “work, relaxation, and recreation.” Part of a $150 million studio expansion, the project takes its cue from a six-story building the developer finished on the Sunset Gower Studios lot in 2008.

The building features five rectangular, stacked volumes, offset horizontally to create exterior terraces. The high-performance envelope alternates between glass curtain wall and precast panels to break down the scale and frame views to downtown LA, the Hollywood sign, and the Santa Monica Bay. In addition to providing outdoor green space on multiple floors, the design incorporates flexibility and connectivity. Large floor plates and connections between floors allow for both open and traditional office layouts, said Pokawatana.

Icon is located near several historic Hollywood buildings, including its next-door neighbor, the Executive Office Building (EOB), once the headquarters of Warner Bros. The design is set back from Sunset Boulevard to provide views to the EOB, while the height of the tower’s first volume coincides with the older building’s eave-line. In addition, said Pokawatana, “White, precast, freestanding columns that front the tower are a modern nod to the historic colonnade on the EOB facade. Punched windows in the precast facade mimic the simple rhythm of the windows at the EOB.”

·
Registered
18,451 Posts

·
L O S A N G E L E S
6,590 Posts
Setbacks? This goes out of its way to "loom"
over the street, and this detail is echoed in
the SoLa Village project also.

Why do these new designs have to look like
they've already been through an earthquake?

That being said, looks good!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks very nice and area-appropriate. Emerson must be glowing over their choice of locations for a film school. Maybe 5 big production related projects within 5 blocks?

But cue the "no setback" crowd. Also the "where's the retail" and "why not taller" crowd. :lol:
My only gripe is the lack of an entrance on Sunset, although I understand why HPP/Gensler went without.

All things considered, this one seems like a winner. Unique design, highly visible location. Tall enough to stand out, but probably not tall enough to really draw NIMBY opposition. Between this, Emerson, Columbia Square the Palladium Towers and all the low-rise planned in-between, Sunset is killing it.

·
Registered
18,451 Posts
My only gripe is the lack of an entrance on Sunset, although I understand why HPP/Gensler went without.

All things considered, this one seems like a winner. Unique design, highly visible location. Tall enough to stand out, but probably not tall enough to really draw NIMBY opposition. Between this, Emerson, Columbia Square the Palladium Towers and all the low-rise planned in-between, Sunset is killing it.
Sunset Boulevard, headline boulevard
Getting here is only the beginning
Sunset Boulevard, jackpot boulevard
Once you've won you have to go on winning

Agree completely. There's always some tension when you are building a campus environment, since the public is generally not invited. The balancing of this with creating a usable, inviting streetscape is always a tough one. Traditionally Hollywood did it with walls and gates.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Also the "where's the retail" and "why not taller" crowd. :lol:
Here I am.

Really tho, no problem with the height or setback. Even retail could be mostly absent, but there should really be at least one space for rent. This building looks perfect for a streetfront bowling alley or arcade. Will settle for groceries.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
18,451 Posts
http://ktla.com/2014/11/24/iconic-ktla-radio-tower-to-be-taken-down-moved-to-original-location/

Iconic KTLA Radio Tower Being Taken Down, Moved to Original Location

The relocation of the broadcast tower is a prelude to the next phase of the Sunset Bronson Studios expansion. The centerpiece 14-story office building, which would sit at Sunset/Van Ness, is supposed to start excavation in January.
Great news that this is moving forward in January. Saving the tower keeps a bit of eye-catching context in the area. Hope the excavations don't show anything negative.

·
Registered
131 Posts
As much as I like this project I have to say it should have incorporated some retail; given the fact that is on the infamous Sunset Blvd. Anything being built on a major street needs to include retail. Its common sense!!!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
As much as I like this project I have to say it should have incorporated some retail; given the fact that is on the infamous Sunset Blvd. Anything being built on a major street needs to include retail. Its common sense!!!
i normally would agree with this sentiment, however, this project is not really near much other than a High school and the freeway so i can see why they didnt add any

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
It only makes sense now. I'm still surprised that we've had developers as far back as 10 years ago NOT adding streetfront business. To me, it's just an outdated practice and I don't know why it still happens.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts