Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
14,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actual Data ( restated)

https://cso.ie/en/releasesandpublic...ellingcompletionsq12018/overview/#d.en.163733

This reduces output by 5000 a year in the last 5 years.

Note that home 'retirements' are not included but are estimated at 1% of the stock per annum (IIRC)

If you start off with 2m homes and retire 20,000 old houses, (when an old person dies in countryside a lot of the time), then building another 20,000 is no good to us as you need 20,000 to replace the ones you lose anyway. The population is growing and we need to build more than we lose every year.

Naturally I expect that a replacement cycle of 20,000 will be skewed urban not rural.

New households are formed and old households expire....not always in the same place as we know.

Code:
Table 2.1: New Dwelling Completions compared with ESB connections (DHPLG), 2011 - Q1 2018
Period	New Dwelling Completions	ESB connections (DHPLG)	[U]Difference[/U]
2011	6,994	10,480	[U]3,486[/U]
2012	4,911	8,488	3,577
2013	4,575	8,301	3,726
2014	5,518	11,016	[U]5,498[/U]
2015	7,219	12,666	5,447
2016	9,915	14,932	5,017
2017	14,446	19,271	[U]4,825[/U]
Q1 2018	3,526
The difference column is the standout data
Methodology Statement. I agree with this overall except that Geodirectory is not maintained in rural areas at all and the last slab of Geodirectory data was from Census 2016 2 years ago in rural areas. So there are likely more rural homes than they say but there is no rural housing crisis of note right now.

https://cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-ndc/newdwellingcompletionsq12018/

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Sinn Fein want to table a no confidence motion of a Minister who isn't fulfilling his remit of magicing up houses with his magic wand, meanwhile new house builds went up 46% next year.
of course completions are up! But it doesnt matter, the housing built is in no way affordable for the average couple. The state is going to have to get involved in building... Who can even reasonably afford the apartments build to current standards? Its a total and utter joke / disgrace!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
If there was relaxed planning laws and there were decent 20-30 story apartment blocks being built in Dublin, along with landbanks with proper public transport access it may be easier to build apartment blocks.

Any meaningful density in a development and within seconds you have An Taisce and the NIMBY brigade along with their objections. It's no wonder the mess we are in.

·
Banned
8,544 Posts
Sinn Fein want to table a no confidence motion of a Minister who isn't fulfilling his remit of magicing up houses with his magic wand, meanwhile new house builds went up 46% next year.
46% of very little is still very little.

By "magic up" houses do you mean SF is saying the Minister should have got off his Ministerial butt at least 4 years ago and started directly building accommodation?

No magic involved - as a much poorer country we have done it in the past.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My suspicions are the poor return in building houses for the previous 4 years was the land hoarding by the biggest landowner in the country ie NAMA.

At the expense of house buyers in the present time the agency has been hoarding land to gain the best return in value for the state.

I think we'll finally begin to see a big uptake in 2018/19. I hope.

·
14,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
46% of very little is still very little.

No magic involved - as a much poorer country we have done it in the past.
Or 46% of fcuk all is still fcuk all as we say down the west. :)

What we have is an enormous gap between demand and output and this situation has allegedly been an urgent/emergency issue since around 2014 or 2015 when Alan Kelly was blustering back then about sorting it out. Since then Coveney did nothing and Murphy a tad more...but still nothing. :(

Such is the gap and such is our utter ineptitude at getting output to anywhere near required levels that I would happily drop most recent building standards just to get output up (not safety related ones, but a B/C BER is better than a hotel room any day) . We need to produce units any way we can in Dublin and we need 10,000 yesterday with another 10,000 to follow today. If they come in containers from factories in China ready to snap onto a steel frame...why great. Get them in any way possible at this stage and bollox to A1 insulation and the rest for a year or two.

Problem to my mind is we really need 10,000 small units like studio apartments for short<>mid term rental and nobody is building those at all save for students where they have own room/shared kitchen configs.

We need the next tier up from there with own kitchenette for 20 somethings who have left college into the gig economy ( and plenty of other classes of human being too).

·
Registered
579 Posts
But only 400 apartments completed in Dublin in the past year. Woeful. I'm not even sure where those are, i don't think they're city centre.
100 semi detached houses split into 4 bedsits probably!

On a serious note though there should be a vast improvement in apartment numbers this year. Hopefully there should be close to 1,000 submitted for planning phase in the north docks/east wall area in the next 6-9 months.

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
100 semi detached houses split into 4 bedsits probably!

On a serious note though there should be a vast improvement in apartment numbers this year. Hopefully there should be close to 1,000 submitted for planning phase in the north docks/east wall area in the next 6-9 months.

Which is all well and good but I don't think most people understand the scale of the problem. Dublin needs tens of thousands of centrally located privately rented apartments over the next few years.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
They truly are sc*m. Have voted fg previously. If they think they have my vote from a minuscule tax cut, while the price of property is rocketing, they are truly deluded! Endless solutions have been provided, just not ones which are palatable to them!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.