1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Philadelphia 87 (march 30)
Detroit 84 (April 12)
Baltimore 67 (April 8)

This is all I could find if you have more please add.

·
Proud Marylander
553 Posts
Baltimore's homicides can be tracked weekly at this site.
http://www.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=9829

Last I saw, Baltimore now has fewer murders this year than it did the same time last year. At this rate, there could be a new record low since 2000 (253). January was also a brutal month, with 31 murders. These past three months only have a couple more murders than January alone, which is a real positive sign.

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Thats a lot of murders ... but then again, they're also high-populated cities ,,, What's the murder rate (or number of murders) per 100,000 people?

·
Proud Marylander
553 Posts
Baltimore is looking at about 38.8 murders per 100,000 given those #'s. Not bad, especially since it's a rapidly recovering city like Detroit and Philly, so their rates are going down nicely.

·
timmy
72 Posts
Crime Rates - Toronto vs. Selected North American Cities, 2002
(per 100,000 population)
Provinces Crime Rates (Per 100,000 Population)
Toronto, ON 48
Montreal, QC 177
Louisville, KY 181
NYC (Brooklyn), NY 225
Vancouver, BC 239
Boston, MA 259
Bridgeport, CT 266
Los Angeles, CA 283
Cincinnati, OH 326
Wilmington, DE 330
Atlantic City, NJ 331
Philadelphia, PA 343
Chicago, IL 374
Birmingham, AL 383

·
Pittsburgh rocks!!
899 Posts
Those numbers are pretty high for Baltimore but crime is going down and most of the crime is concentrated so there is no reason to be in those areas of high crime.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
If Detroit keeps the same rate through the end of the year that will mean the city will see around 250-300 murders this year. That just doesn't sound right. That would mean a drop of 25%-35% from the 384 seen last year. The rate would be around 27-33 per 100,000 residents vs. about 42 per 100,000 last year. Where is the source for your Detroit numbers?

BTW, I know that the murder rate usually goes up during the summer months, but I still find it hard to believe that it would fall so dramatically in one year.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
The LAPD updates every week. Violent Crime is down 27% here in LA up until April 9th, which was the last reporting date. Obviously great news. Homicides are down 7.4 % from lat year (149 - 138), rape down 35.1% (328 - 213), Robbery Down 10.5 % (3936 - 3522), Aggrivated Assualts down 36.6% (6840 - 4338), Total Violent Crime down 27% (11253 - 8211).

This follows a ~20% drop last year as well.

http://www.lapdonline.org/portal/in...istics_main.htm

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
digili_man said:
Crime Rates - Toronto vs. Selected North American Cities, 2002
(per 100,000 population)
Provinces Crime Rates (Per 100,000 Population)
Toronto, ON 48
Montreal, QC 177
Louisville, KY 181
NYC (Brooklyn), NY 225
Vancouver, BC 239
Boston, MA 259
Bridgeport, CT 266
Los Angeles, CA 283
Cincinnati, OH 326
Wilmington, DE 330
Atlantic City, NJ 331
Philadelphia, PA 343
Chicago, IL 374
Birmingham, AL 383
Im really surprised with Toronto .. ive experienced and seen quite a lot of crime happening down there.. When it says Toronto, does it include the metropolitan area or just the city itself?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
When the city annouced it, I thought it was very odd that overall violent crime rates in Baltimore decreased while murder rates remained steady, but I guess thats the trend in major cities across the nation. Like wheelingman said, these murders arent random take place in very isolated areas in Baltimore. If you stay out of those areas, you'll be fine.

·
Proud Marylander
553 Posts
East BMore traditionally has the most murders (something like 55 last year alone) and after January's dizzying numbers, the number of patrollers in high crime areas (like east side) went up twofold and sometimes threefold. So, that could explain why so there have been fewer murders lately. Seems BMore is still on the decline overall for violent crime, except murder rates are probably the same as they were in the early 90s. BMore's pretty safe for a typical resident, worker, or tourist as long as you have no connection with the drug trade. Random murders on random people are extremely rare by comparison.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The only reason Philly has such a high number up top is because we had a serious homocide burst right before then. After that, we went 5 days without a single murder.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It's interesting to look at these numbers. Actually, Vancouver's seem awfully high but I can't say for sure what's up with that. I know that my city (Winnipeg) was the murder capital of Canada last year with 33-36 murders. Odd in a way when looking at the numbers for some of these other places. Mind you, it's not that huge a difference when you get down to the rates themselves. I think we go about from about %30 to %80 of the American murder rate usually but I could be wrong. I realize that that's a pretty big span but in a country like Canada, it's easy to get large fluctuations. Mind you, even if I'm wrong about what I'm applying the figure to, (as in, it may not be the murder rate but the rate of violent crime overall) it's always lower than the US, that much is certain. Sounds about right I think but it depends on how and where we're counting I think. I have to check those Vancouver numbers though, they just don't seem at all right.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Soulbrotha said:
murders in 2005 to date

Louisville: 17 (April 15)

Cincinnati: 19 (April 12)

What was Louisville tally for 2004, I know they had a very bad year.

Louisville could be doing better, it seems like the rate since they consolidated is between 8 and 10 murders per 100,000 people. Is above Portland or Seattle's rate of 5 per 100,000 people but below Denver's and Minneapolis rate of usually 15 per 100,000. Louisville at this pace will be around 55 by the end of the year, which Baltimore which is about the same size would be jumping in the air over.

Columbus also has a problem, I lived in Columbus for 1 year. And they are about the same size as Louisville and in 2003 they had around 110, last year I believe they had around 90, Columbus seems to be about the same as Minneapolis and Milwaukee on murder rates of usually about 15 per 100,000 people.

Any body know if Denver (my hometowns) problems have cooled off, they got up to 94 in Denver last year, the highest since 1980.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts