Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks!

I have been travelling to Hong Kong over the last four years with great pleasure. Last time I dedicated my time to walk around Kowloon at night and it was fun to get in touch with people on the streets but also seeing the city fall asleep and waking up later.

Here I wanna share some of my pictures taken during that "night walks". Its not that many but hopefully you will like them. I am not showing great sights; just some regular streets.

Most of them will be unsorted and I may add more over time :cheers:

I like the diversity of atmosphere in various parts of Hong Kong -the aftermath of a night-market feels like a apocalyptic movie

The contrast between European architecture and modern skyscrapers on the otherhandside is stunning

Moments before the park closed I got this shot

Typical Gotham city feeling

The climbing Koalas at night :3

Pipes everywhere :eek:

Market stands are closed at night

·
Post and Beam
57 Posts
I suspect that with the conquest of Hong Kong by huge high rise apartments that street life will continue to decline. That street life is central to the creative clash of people in any city.

Very large high rises world wide require tenants be managed with more discipline. Ground level surrounding such buildings is keyed to episodic movements of large numbers of people either to and from cars or to and from public transportation.

Something gets lost as more people retreat into their apartment cubes after work, and, shut off that outside world that street life provides.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why so dirty?
Considering many of those shots were taken in one of densest populated areas in the world with high usage of public spaces (like food markets) its not that dirty imho.

Famous Night Market

Bus depot around Mong Kok

Late night without pedestrians

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
this is an honest to goodness depiction of Hongkong. quite nice photos and you did a good job.
I wasnt sure if my pictures will romanticise the atmosphere in HKG. Still this is what impressed me even the random streetscapes might be an ordinary thing for inhabitants.

Lets continue: No matter if you are in Central

or Kowloon, the concrete is omnipresent

except for the glass steel office towers

But its also interesting to have a look at older streets like here around the Kowloon Walled City Park

or walk into the middle of such a public hosing complex

When all of Hong Kong is almost asleep the delivery and market people are already preparing for the next morning

1 - 12 of 12 Posts