SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The people in HK are quite into fashion. Unlike people in the Middle-east, the people in HK doesn't wear any traditional Chinese clothing or modern clothing based on traditional Chinese fashion. Has the traditional clothing become complete history in HK?

·
Registered
252 Posts
As Hong Kong is a truly metropolitan and international city, the majority of people take fashion very seriously esp. to"look good" as its a Chinese tradition, about having "face",, which could lead to showing off however with yrs of experience Hong Kong people do it way more subtly than lets say ppl in mainland China where alot of them juz put on any odd branded clothes with big logos to tell ppl that they r rich. However, in certain occasions people still wear traditional Chinese clothing such as in Weddings or in Balls, cocktail parties etc. And of coz in Chinese New Year and many of the traditional festivals where there r often street parades with locals dressing up as Chinese legend characters which shows the Chinese cultural aspects.
Moreover Hong Kong has generated alot of international recognized designers with Chinese influence in their design which alot of locals support

"Hong Kong is really much more trendy than any other fashion captials in the world. Our buyers tell us that walking around Central is like seeing Vogue stories come to life."
Adrianne Ma, Director of Joyce Boutique, one of the leading ones in Hong Kong.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There aren't much famous brands in HK. I know only a few, one of them is Esprit, but this brand isn't based on traditional clothing.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
d7b said:
HK needs more famous local designers though, to become a top fashion capital
At least one you know, William TANG Tat-chi (鄧達智 )! ;)

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
CFCheng said:
There aren't much famous brands in HK. I know only a few, one of them is Esprit, but this brand isn't based on traditional clothing.
That's a Californian brand...doesn't originate in HK I don't think.

Shanghai Tang is the only one I can think of ...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
_00_deathscar said:
That's a Californian brand...doesn't originate in HK I don't think.

Shanghai Tang is the only one I can think of ...
You're right about that Esprit was started of in California, but later on, the Esprit Far East Group bought the other divisions and formed Esprit Holdings Limited in Hong Kong. It's now officially an HK-brand, but I agree with you that this brand shouldn't be considered as a real HK brand.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Wow didn't know that it was officialy an HK brand now...that's mighty impressive. :)

I think it's strange with Hong Kong, considering how much fashion is loved here (as are brand names...just have a look through Causeway Bay->Central, Tsim Sha Tsui, Festival Walk, Tai Koo and so on) - they're everywhere!

Hermes, Dior, Chanel, Armani, YSL, LV etc..

Which is why I find it particularly strange that Hong Kong hasn't come up with something innovative and classy such as the aforementioned brands (Shanghai Tang aside, but lets face it - Shanghai Tang is hardly in that league eh?).

Because Hong Kong REALLY has the potential to be a top fashion city - up there with NY, London, Paris and Milan..

Besides, we've got enough exhibition centres to host such shows surely...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hong Kong have great potential to be a fashion capital, but HK still doesn't have brands like Armani that are known by people all over the world(even by people who don't know a damn thing about fashion). This is may be one of the reasons why many people don't consider HK as a real fashion capital.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
_00_deathscar said:
By 'doesn't have brands' - I suppose you mean brands that are Hong Kong oriented - as in by a Hong Kong designer...?

Because Hong Kong has lots of Armani...:D
Yes, I meant brands that are HK oriented. HK has indeed lots of Armani, also lots of fake Armani's:D

·
Registered
252 Posts
haha..well in reality hong kong has only really developed and westernised in the past two decades which is nth compare to countries like the US or European countries, so from the 1960s where only the slighest bunch of people could afford brands to what it is today, hong kong is impressive for what it has now and up n goin!:)

·
POUND THE ALARM!!!
397 Posts
Well.. To be honest, Hong Kong does have the potential to push it's fashion industry higher. But... Hong Kong is very limited in terms of it's population for a world-known brand. In order for a company to expand internationally, it must first be able to grow locally in order to sustain overseas expansion. Hong Kong itself has too much local competition which limits the potential of businesses growing larger. Also, people in Hong Kong usually favours "overseas" brands from Japan and elsewhere and consider local brands as a second-tier to international brands... So not only the environment doesn't permit the expansion of the fashion industry, but also the mentality of the general population.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bs_lover_boy said:
Well.. To be honest, Hong Kong does have the potential to push it's fashion industry higher. But... Hong Kong is very limited in terms of it's population for a world-known brand. In order for a company to expand internationally, it must first be able to grow locally in order to sustain overseas expansion. Hong Kong itself has too much local competition which limits the potential of businesses growing larger. Also, people in Hong Kong usually favours "overseas" brands from Japan and elsewhere and consider local brands as a second-tier to international brands... So not only the environment doesn't permit the expansion of the fashion industry, but also the mentality of the general population.
Is this mentality only with fashion brands or also with other brands like electronics?

·
17,363 Posts
If not Esprit, how about Giordano though they're into modern fashion as well? Giordano is well known.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Throughout South-East Asia yea it is fairly well known, but again, it's hardly Armani isn't it? Heck it's not even Espirit (which is a good brand in any case), and is only a rung on the ladder higher than Bossini...

You don't become a major fashion city through brands like Bossini and Giordano....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
_00_deathscar said:
Throughout South-East Asia yea it is fairly well known, but again, it's hardly Armani isn't it? Heck it's not even Espirit (which is a good brand in any case), and is only a rung on the ladder higher than Bossini...

You don't become a major fashion city through brands like Bossini and Giordano....
I agree with you, Esprit and Giordano are quality brands, but they miss the luxurious element. These brands are not exclusive like Armani. You got to have exclusive brands if you want to be a major fashion city.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts