Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
visit the world
8,182 Posts
fantastic pictures!! They just breath HONG KONG!!! Well done!!! :eek:mg:
HK in every way you look at it is a FANTASTIC CITY!!! They shoudl finish up US7 so I can go back sooner!! ;) :cool:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
For some reason many people here seem to mistakenly call many of Hong Kong's residential buildings slums. The vast majority of them are actually home to middle-class people, and the interiors are quite fine. The buildings are usually just old (from the 60s or 70s) and the exteriors have not been well maintained.

Those photos are great!

·
Mainland Sea & Sky
6,242 Posts
Nice capturing , and these pics show real lifestyle of Hk . Looking forward to viewing more of your shots!

·
EOS 40D
2,108 Posts
HK's problem is the fast deterioration of exterior finish. Even today's government-built housing does not age well. A 10-year old tower, some even 50+ stories, can look like something from the 1970s.

·
523 Posts
Maria Theresa said:
I didn't know there were so many slums in Hong Kong!

It must be terrible to live in those tiny, dirty and old apartments. They are vertical slums.
One question: Do you paint your house very often?

The problem in HK is that owners of each apartment in these older buildings come and go often. That's why it's hard to collect enough money for exterior maintenance for the building. However, because owners need to sell the apartments, interior decoration is carried out to sell at a higher price or to rent it out. That's why HK buildings look old outside and good inside.

·
Registered
419 Posts
great photos ... i like western very much but it will undergo massive changes
these coming years due to the new mtr line extension ...

exterior of cantonese tenements dirty quickily in hong kong's climate ...
and people don't repaint them ...
however they are far from slums ... they were built very quickily in postwar era due to the massive population boom ...
those chinese tenements are usually larger, with higher ceiling
and all has air condition ...
the only downside is some of the older one below 9 floors does not have elevators

1 - 20 of 74 Posts