1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
125,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Students 'prefer to go Down Under'
Linda Yeung
2 April 2005
South China Morning Post

Australia has emerged as the most popular choice for Hong Kong students going abroad to study this year, a survey has shown.

The poll of 500 Form Three to Seven students by an educational consultancy in February found that 34 per cent said they would choose Australia, compared with 23 per cent for Britain, and 18 per cent for the United States.

There were more students studying in Australia than Britain last year as well.

In 2002-2003, an estimated 17,640 Hong Kong students were studying in Britain, including 7,900 in schools.

Students were drawn to the English-learning environment abroad, the latest poll found. Thirty-seven per cent of the respondents cited raising their English standard as the main reason for going abroad, while 30 per cent chose "a good learning environment". Twenty-two per cent said they wanted to leave out of dissatisfaction with the local system, while 11 per cent cited the lack of university places here.

Tom Ng Tsz-wai, assistant marketing manager of International Studies Service Centre, which conducted the poll, said students seemed to have declining confidence in their English proficiency and parents were more concerned about improving their children's English than before.

"More parents say they want their children to improve their English above everything else as they feel it is inadequate. More students are also willing to take short-term English courses lasting from several weeks to a year before starting an academic programme. They used to resist language lessons," he said.

Mr Ng attributed the increased popularity of Australia to its cheaper study and living costs, in contrast to the rising value of the British pound.

But Ivy Ngan Kit Fan, director of the Australian Consulate's Education, Science and Training Section, said more students might have chosen to stay in the territory.

Last year's figure for Hong Kong students in Australia was actually down from 23,880 the year before. "More higher education opportunities are available locally now," she said.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
so some 17000 HKer studying in UK, 23000 studying in Austrialia, and how many in US?? that's a lot of oversea student coming from a city.

·
resident web developer
1,185 Posts
HKT said:
talaga?...
yup.. my friend said that in the south they rented a house in an exclusive village and they use it like a boarding house.. thats where alot of them are studying english.. i guess it shows that other countries are still impressed with our english speaking skills..

·
POUND THE ALARM!!!
397 Posts
vincent said:
so some 17000 HKer studying in UK, 23000 studying in Austrialia, and how many in US?? that's a lot of oversea student coming from a city.
How much in US or Canada?

·
EOS 40D
2,108 Posts
I think its the economy...in the late 1990s the economy crashed. The peak occurred in the mid 1990s, which coincides with the peak of the Hong Kong property boom. I think that number should be coming back up by now (2005). I'm studying in San Diego, and there are a lot of HK folk here.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
i agree with superchan, studying in Australia is probably cheaper than in US UK and Canada. but UK should be the most expensive of all yet it attracts large number of HK students, maybe it's the tradition?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Studying in Canada wouldn't be much more expensive than studying in Australia. Of course, unless they plan on saving on airline fares.

·
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa
1,568 Posts
Yeah at the moment studying in Canada is cheaper than studying in Australia... Australian Dollar has risen to a level on par with the Canadian Dollar and traditionally tuition fees are higher in Australian tertiary centres than in Canada...

I think Australia succeeds in attracting foreign students (particularly from Asia) due to its branding on education. World-class courses, systematic and organised syllabus, convenient and easy application procedures, flexible intakes (February & July), a country with 4 seasons, sandy beaches and snowy mountains at doorsteps, a western country with huge asian population, advanced, international, liberal, etc... just as the tagline goes, STUDYING IN AUSTRALIA, WHAT A BRILLIANT IDEA!

I studied in Melbourne before and thought of applying to UBC in Vancouver but it was not as easy as I thought. Apparently Vancouver & Toronto have very few unis. The canadian counsellor here discouraged me on applying to UBC & UoT and she encouraged me strongly on Uni of Saskatchewan & Uni of Manitoba ... and they wouldn't help me in dealing with Simon Fraser Uni... I believe the counsellor should help me achieve what I want and not pouring cold water & promote what I do not want... The universities themselves have very tricky placement tests that I'm required to spend more $$ & time on them... This is something different from that of Australia...

I'd love to study in Canada but I don't want to be forced to live in an isolated and icy cold areas... I admit I'm a cityboy...

So now I've got an offer letter from UNSW, Sydney which I'll be doing my master degree in Australia by February 2006.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Lastresorter said:
I studied in Melbourne before and thought of applying to UBC in Vancouver but it was not as easy as I thought. Apparently Vancouver & Toronto have very few unis. The canadian counsellor here discouraged me on applying to UBC & UoT and she encouraged me strongly on Uni of Saskatchewan & Uni of Manitoba ... and they wouldn't help me in dealing with Simon Fraser Uni... I believe the counsellor should help me achieve what I want and not pouring cold water & promote what I do not want... The universities themselves have very tricky placement tests that I'm required to spend more $$ & time on them... This is something different from that of Australia...

I'd love to study in Canada but I don't want to be forced to live in an isolated and icy cold areas... I admit I'm a cityboy...

So now I've got an offer letter from UNSW, Sydney which I'll be doing my master degree in Australia by February 2006.
lol. You have no idea how much domestic competition there is to get into certain UBC & U of T programs. :D There's such a heavy emphasis on extra-curriculars in Canada...especially for Commerce & Medical Programs, it's scary. ;)

The main difference between Canada and Australia is that in Canada there's not enough spots in popular universities (of the top of my head UBC, UofT, Queens, Schulich, Ivey, Sauder, McMaster, Rotman etc.) for Canadian students alone (especially for the high demand programs..) , so they're not as eager to bring in International students as Australia.

I have a friend (undergrad life science UT) whose packing up and moving to Australia to attend Medical school because it was just too hard to enter the Canadian ones. Another friend went to HKU Med School directly after highschool... did it because they don't require an undergrad requirement.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
i think there's tough competition for entrance into Top HK universities like HKU or Chinese university.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts