SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Here we go again
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time a thread like this was started, some CCP aligned trolls/conspiracy theorists decided to come in and ruin it for all of us. Differing opinions are welcome, but propaganda machines certainly aren't. With the whole situation escalating and China deciding that they don't want to play by the rules anymore, I think we're all frothing for some (CONSTRUCTIVE) discussion. I just hope the mods are ready to keep the trolls at bay this time, because we were carrying on fine (as we usually do) before they came in and started spewing their rubbish.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
The last time a thread like this was started, some CCP aligned trolls/conspiracy theorists decided to come in and ruin it for all of us. Differing opinions are welcome, but propaganda machines certainly aren't. With the whole situation escalating and China deciding that they don't want to play by the rules anymore, I think we're all frothing for some (CONSTRUCTIVE) discussion. I just hope the mods are ready to keep the trolls at bay this time, because we were carrying on fine (as we usually do) before they came in and started spewing their rubbish.
Instead of just frothing anger you could of at least posted information on what the authoritarian regime of Xi is planning to do like how it is modifying Hong Kong’s Basic Law with dubious claims that this modification is necessary for national security reasons. Those plans would rewrite the framework of the city’s autonomy in unprecedented ways; the suggested “secession” ban and “subversion of state power” would effectively end Hong Kong’s freedom of speech, assembly, and the free press.

·
Here we go again
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure most of us here, regardless of which side of the traditional political split you sit on (any sane person actually) would be on the same page on this (thank god for our basic, shared values of liberty, democracy and equality). Looking at the bigger picture, this was bound to happen in the future and although it was agreed upon and clear as day that Hong Kong's autonomy was never going to last forever, it's still disgusting that the people were never consulted in the process nor got the chance to decide for themselves if they wanted to be handed over to a disgusting dictatorial communist regime or not.

If China's going to insist on forcing their authority down everyone's throats, they could have AT THE VERY LEAST played by the rules and waited for their turn. But then again, why are we all surprised?

Awfully sad to see one of the last standing spots of hope in the region go down like this. At the very least they should be given a choice somewhere down the line

·
Banned
9,682 Posts
Tough situation for Hong Kong. If they want to remain autonomous they need to peacefully stand for that. Look at Eastern Europe and how they peacefully transitioned to democracy.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yep Hong Kong will no longer have autonomy, and democracy in a few years time unless they make a stand at every manipulation the CCP tried to do. It’s an unashamed overreach into Hong Kong’s affairs and is typical of the subtle ways that China step towards their geopolitical goals, and shows they do not care to play by any rules based order. This is a litmus test to gauge the worlds reactions and pushback for their next goal, Taiwan.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Tough situation for Hong Kong. If they want to remain autonomous they need to peacefully stand for that. Look at Eastern Europe and how they peacefully transitioned to democracy.
Lucky for Eastern Europe they did have a champion in Mikhail Gorbachev with his policies of Glasnost and Perestroika.
Unfortunately not seeing too many champions for "openness and transparency" and reformation in China.

·
Registered
808 Posts
China’s recent incursions into the South China Sea, this Hong Kong law, and at the same time they have dropped the “peaceful” wording out of their Taiwan unification statement, are all done while the world is occupied battling from their virus they spread.

·
Banned
9,682 Posts
Lucky for Eastern Europe they did have a champion in Mikhail Gorbachev with his policies of Glasnost and Perestroika.
Unfortunately not seeing too many champions for "openness and transparency" and reformation in China.
It started long before Gorbachev though.

All I'm saying is mass peaceful protest can move mountains and without any violence.

·
22,018 Posts
Peaceful protests, IMO, won't work here. I feel that this needs external pressure, but also a show of force by locals that they will do whatever it takes to stop this.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yep, needs pressure from all nations who are democratic global citizens. And needs pushback from Hong Kong citizens too. Ultimately their fate is in their hands.

Even if the protests are unsuccessful, it sends a message and warning to the CCP that freedoms won’t be given up without a fight. So may influence their future decisions to try and reduce freedoms of people further.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Why not open our borders to people that share our democratic values that are under threat? I think we should welcome the HK Chinese. What would an empty city with a destroyed economy be worth to the CCP? Zero !

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Why not open our borders to people that share our democratic values that are under threat? I think we should welcome the HK Chinese. What would an empty city with a destroyed economy be worth to the CCP? Zero !
I am sure Canada and Australia would welcome many as they have in the past. Read a report suggesting over 40 percent of Hong Kong residents were contemplating emigrating, with Australia, Canada, and Taiwan being the most preferred destinations.

Also I see according to the Guardian that 3 million Hong Kong residents are eligible for British citizenship.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts