SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, the Aloha Stadium Authority received a study showing that $120M worth of repairs were needed at the 50,000 seat venue to address high-priority health and safety improvements.

The study recommended that the State of Hawaii investigate rebuilding a 35,000 multipurpose stadium on the Aloha Stadium site.

Around the same time, the University of Hawaii commissioned a study by Gensler which recommended a 30,585 seat multipurpose stadium be built for $165-190M. Here is the Gensler Study. Note the provision of seating for an additional 530 fans on an end zone grassy berm.

Unlike UNLV and Colorado St, something will happen in Hawaii one way or another simply because of the safety concerns at Aloha Stadium.

The design is bowl-shaped on the lower level, with the upper levels being one endzone granstand, one sideline grandstand, one end zone club, and one set of sideline suites. Shade canopies on all four sides.

Renderings:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I understand that the University of Hawaii doesn't need a 50,000+ seat stadium, but for a stadium that will also serve as the primary outdoor multipurpose venue in Hawaii, isn't that a bit too small? Granted I'm not all that familiar with how much demand there is to use Aloha Stadium at present. I just wonder if the NFL would choose to go elsewhere for the Pro Bowl due to the downsize.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I understand that the University of Hawaii doesn't need a 50,000+ seat stadium, but for a stadium that will also serve as the primary outdoor multipurpose venue in Hawaii, isn't that a bit too small? Granted I'm not all that familiar with how much demand there is to use Aloha Stadium at present. I just wonder if the NFL would choose to go elsewhere for the Pro Bowl due to the downsize.
My money's on Orlando. Tourist mecca, rebuilt stadium, larger population base, travel not quite as cost-prohibitive...makes too much sense.

They really need to consider a 40,000+ seater.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Maybe not. One of the big reasons why NFL goes to Hawaii is because the all players and all the sponsors love going there simply for the free vacation in a nice tropical spot. That and the state pays the NFL a certain guaranteed income from the game. If the state can make it work in a 30k seat modern stadium, the NFL would go there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The University of Hawaii may be forced to drop football:
Welcome to the first unintended consequence of autonomy.

Hawaii can't afford to keep playing football, so it may drop football.

Those essentially were the words of Hawaii AD Ben Jay on Monday speaking to the school's board of regents. Jay's athletic department is facing a $2.1 million budget deficit. On the horizon are added expenses for cost of attendance in autonomy.

Judging from Jay, it is not an expense Hawaii can afford at the moment.

“There's a very real possibility of football going away,” he said.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo.../ad-deficit-may-cause-hawaii-to-drop-football

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Are they serious about Rugby or is it just indicitive of the venues planned flexibility?

'Cos at 30500 seats and the number of foreign tourists to Hawaii from Japan and the Antipodes, it may be an attractive venue for the odd Rugby Test in the vein of Singapore and Hong Kong. I'd imagine like the NFL ProBowlers, the Australian Wallabies and New Zealand All Blacks would jump at the chance to play each other in Honolulu like they have in Hong Kong and Tokyo.

Is there any strong ties between the Hawaiians and the Polynesians south of the Equator?
Possible support for Samoan, Tongan, Maori Rugby?

·
Registered
3,932 Posts

·
Bad Moon Rising
325 Posts
It sucks having to see a school drop sports because of budget issues. I'm still mad that Maryland had to gut a ton of sports due to it's budget problems, but even they were able to salvage football.

Hard to believe it was only 6 years ago that Hawaii played in their first and only BCS Game; they got destroyed by Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts