SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Houston for business on Friday and decided to stay the night and snap a few shots of downtown. I explored maybe 20% of downtown in about 4 hours, 9 PM – 1 AM. My impression: the parts I saw were clean, safe, and quiet with a few pockets of activity here and there. The homeless people like having their photos taken, and Discover Green is a stroke of genius. Hope you enjoy the shots...

Main Street:

One of the metro stations downtown:

The meto police didn't like me taking this photo. Too bad they were too slow.

Houston Pavilions:

House of Blues sign

Discovery Green:

I'd say Houston is getting its park-related development investment

Okay, I'm in the middle of the 4th largest city in the US, and I hear frogs croaking - fantastic.

As a suggestion to Houston, and speaking as one from Dallas, three little letters: L E D

This is the tallest building in Texas, a bit over 300m:

After I was done, tired and thirsty, I had a late dinner here:

And that's it. Houston is very photogenic and the people were friendly - too bad I didn't have the time to but scratch the surface. I plan to return to give H-Town the full treatment soon.

·
Registered User.
2,249 Posts
These are excellent photos, good job. That part of town really does look pretty clean.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Great pics Dallascaper. Agreed that Houston could use some LED lights to frame the skyline, but then again, if Houston did that, then what would Dallas do to keep from being that "other city" in Texas.

Houston is a really incredible city, and would surprise a lot of people, even those who know of it as the nation's 4th largest city. I know there are more foreign consulates in Houston than in LA, Chicago, or Miami; and there are more languages spoken in Houston per capita than anywhere else in the U.S. Plus it's also the only city in the U.S. that is the home of foreign royalty.

It's incredible how downtown used to have a dirty, crime-ridden, disgusting image that sort of plagued Houston's reputation, when almost everywhere else in the city was much better. Now downtown has been completely revitalized and is looking really good. You can head outwards from downtown heading anywhere in the west half of the city and see nothing but a really beautiful and trendy city.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i've only really "seen" houston from an outsider's perspective -- skyline shots -- and i never thought it was all that special. but having now seen its interior, i must say. . . very, very nice.

·
Banned
4,330 Posts
Fantastic :)

·
Formerly known as Bigboyz
806 Posts
With the amount of people the city proper is adding, it probably will within the next 15 years or so.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts