SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Houston is currently expanding a few freeways in the area, none bigger than the 20+ lane Katy freeway. My question is why instead of making a 20+ lane freeway don't they just tackle their mass transit problem and lay rail in the middle that could take the place of about 4 lanes. They could do this on all their freeways. Rail could run on I 10 going west from downtown to Katy, it could go east to at least the Beltway. 45 could have it run north to the airport and south to Galveston with Galveston County sharing in costs and profits once it leaves Harris County. There are (at least to me) many simple soultions to get mass transit in the area, and better plans than the current one of laying rail only to pave over it. I would like some opinions on the current plan and what could be done better.

Oh, and sorry for the length of this!

·
Registered
456 Posts
because many people like me want to ride around in a car instead of using mass transit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
^^man forget that! I want to be able to enjoy the city without having to ride around in a car all day, especially with the rapid rising gas prices. Plus it's cleaner for the environment.

mace9903 is right though. There's too many simple solutions such as putting it along I-45 starting from Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport all the way to Galveston. For a east and west route, they could easily run it alongside the Katy freeway to the eastide. And for a more express service, i had an idea to run it to encircle the entire 610 loop. Denver's extending their rail alongside I-25, why can't Houston do this too especially when Houston's freeways are bigger.

Why is Richmond and Westpark looked at as the only possibilities to carrying the rail out to the uptown area?The planners are making this harder than it should be.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Because what freeways are being built now, are what was needed 20 years ago. And 20 years ago, no one ever dared think that rail would be along Main Street as it is now.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MexAmericanMoose said:
because many people like me want to ride around in a car instead of using mass transit.
That attitude is why Houston will never be taken seriously as a world class city. Im not saying Houston isnt a world class city but people from this country and from around the world will never consider it to be world class without mass transit. Name one GREAT city in the world without mass transit. I live here in Atlanta and the rail here (MARTA) is pathetic, but it is light years beyond what Houston has. I think Houston has more to offer than Atlanta, Cleveland, Detroit and just as much as L.A. and Chicago, but all of these places have far superior transit systems.

Houston needs to start being a little more progressive in its thinking when it comes to this subject. I know that it is the Houston way to want the independence of their automobile on multilane expressways, but it is time to change that thinking for many reasons. As ComingtoHouston stated it would be much better for the enviroment in a city with some of the worst air quality in the nation. I read somewhere (i dont remember where) that since the Main street line has opened they have been able to eliminate about 1200 DAILY bus trips down that street. Think about the enviromental and economic impact that an extensive rail service would have.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
^ I have to agree with maceo....world class cities do have mass transit which is a valid criticism of Houston & others like Phoenix...for the city the size of Houston it should at least have something comparable to Atlanta or better yet Chicago.
7 miles of LRT in a city with over 500 suare miles doesn't cut it and if Houston can get nearly 300,000 people on buses everyday there is obviously a need for rail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mass transit sux.

1. your putting your travel into the hands of a bureaucratic entity...and when does that ever work out for the best
2. If you're going to be stuck around a lot of people...Id rather be in the comfort of my own car with my own music / AC / Heat
3. I don't have to sit next to someone who doesn't have personal hygiene habits
4. I don't have to listen to some bum beg me for money or play a song I don't want to hear for money
5. If I forget something, I can just turn around in my car and go back
6. I don't have to sit in the heat / cold / rain waiting on a ride that may or may not be on time
7. I don't have to worry if they two guys getting on are just bring on the fight they were having off the metro
8. Its a prime terrorist target because the number of people "trapped" in one place
9. I don't have to worry about the person sitting next to me getting me sick (COVID anyone)
10. A world class city doesn't have anything to do with mass transit...its has everything to do with city planning
11. If i want to go home at 2AM I can with my car....subway or rail or bus is closed
12. Public transport doesn't go everywhere I want to go
13. I don't have to spend time transferring from bus to sub to bus just to get somewhere
14. Americans are indendpent minded...we dont want someone else telling when and where we can go
15. Magnet for crime
16. Most public transport systems quickly run into budget cuts and subsequent decay

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Mass transit sux.

1. your putting your travel into the hands of a bureaucratic entity...and when does that ever work out for the best
2. If you're going to be stuck around a lot of people...Id rather be in the comfort of my own car with my own music / AC / Heat
3. I don't have to sit next to someone who doesn't have personal hygiene habits
4. I don't have to listen to some bum beg me for money or play a song I don't want to hear for money
5. If I forget something, I can just turn around in my car and go back
6. I don't have to sit in the heat / cold / rain waiting on a ride that may or may not be on time
7. I don't have to worry if they two guys getting on are just bring on the fight they were having off the metro
8. Its a prime terrorist target because the number of people "trapped" in one place
9. I don't have to worry about the person sitting next to me getting me sick (COVID anyone)
10. A world class city doesn't have anything to do with mass transit...its has everything to do with city planning
11. If i want to go home at 2AM I can with my car....subway or rail or bus is closed
12. Public transport doesn't go everywhere I want to go
13. I don't have to spend time transferring from bus to sub to bus just to get somewhere
14. Americans are indendpent minded...we dont want someone else telling when and where we can go
15. Magnet for crime
16. Most public transport systems quickly run into budget cuts and subsequent decay
All of that is just a bunch of one-sided, narrow-minded b.s. that doesn't take into account the people who either can't drive or just don't want to drive, given that you're in a MASSIVE CITY with a lot of traffic.

Speak for yourself, "Steph"...

·
Texas-NoVA
2,265 Posts
All of that is just a bunch of one-sided, narrow-minded b.s. that doesn't take into account the people who either can't drive or just don't want to drive, given that you're in a MASSIVE CITY with a lot of traffic.

Speak for yourself, "Steph"...
You beat me to it. He is talking about city planning. Well mass transit factors into that planning. What world class city builds around freeways. Even Los Angeles learned this and if Houston continues to grow fast, Houston will learn it as well.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
You beat me to it. He is talking about city planning. Well mass transit factors into that planning. What world class city builds around freeways. Even Los Angeles learned this and if Houston continues to grow fast, Houston will learn it as well.
It's a troll account, bro... you know how it is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts