SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Astrodome was built in 1965. The Astrodome was the first domed stadium ever built. This stadium was the former home of the Houston Astros and Houston Oilers. The Astrodome closed in 2004.

Former Names

Harris County Domed Stadium (1965)
Houston Astrodome (1965-2000)

·
Registered
96 Posts
The "8th Wonder of the World". They played some great baseball and football games in this building. What are they going to do with this place now? Is it still useable?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Notable sporting events at the Astrodome:

1968 and 1986 MLB All-Star Game
1989 NBA All-Star Game
The "Game of the Century" between the Houston Cougars and UCLA Bruins
The "Battle of the Sexes" tennis match between Bobby Riggs and Billie Jean King
1971 NCAA Men's Final Four

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Doesn't look like it was too bad of baseball stadium...especially before the double decked the outfield.
round multi-purpose stadiums like this had bad sightlines. Many seats were not angled toward the diamond. SkyDome/Rogers Centre is the last stadium in use with a similar configuration.

·
Registered
305 Posts
round multi-purpose stadiums like this had bad sightlines. Many seats were not angled toward the diamond. SkyDome/Rogers Centre is the last stadium in use with a similar configuration.
I don't see how it was much worse than the sightlines at - say, Wrigley Field, Angels Stadium, or Dodger Field

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
I don't see how it was much worse than the sightlines at - say, Wrigley Field, Angels Stadium, or Dodger Field
Because apart from the moveable lower section, the seating is round and not angled toward the diamond from many areas. There's a reason SkyDome was the last stadium to feature a similar configuration. Too many drawbacks for both baseball and football.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
All of the fixed seats (the 'round' area) in the entire stadium are pointed towards a point beyond second base. Which in some areas is a good thing, but in others means you are worse off. The other problem is the sheer distance of many of the seats from the field. A person viewing from the upper level is often more than 200 feet from the playing field.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
No movement on future plans for Houston Astrodome

from the Associated Press:
HOUSTON (AP) -- The dilemma of the deteriorating Houston Astrodome remained unresolved Tuesday with the passing of a deadline to put a bond referendum before voters in May.

Harris County commissioners took no action on the ballot initiative to raise millions of dollars to do something with the 48-year-old vacant stadium. But no one's really sure what to do with it.

A similar deadline last year to put the question before voters in November also came and went.

''We have waited for ideas for years and years on the dome,'' Commissioner Steve Radack told The Houston Chronicle (http://bit.ly/XFGs3V). ''It wouldn't surprise me if we wait years and years more before something happens.

''I'm not in a huge rush because I don't think we have the ideas and enough accurate information right now to really be able to present something to the voters.''
The rest of the story is here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/no-movement-future-plans-houston-153333565--mlb.html

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Redevelopment is expensive. Like the article said, no one is really sure what to do with it. So you better make sure there is a need/demand for whatever you're going to build if you expect a developer to come in and spend upwards of $300 million.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts