Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a few things.

Anyone cannot live in an SEZ, you need special documentation.

More economically liberal, centers of FDI.

But what else? Do their newspapers and media have more flexibility compared to the rest of China? Those in the Guangdong province are allowed to have two children, does that apply to other SEZs?

How did the Chinese government decide which cities will become speical economic zones?

·
中華民國
2,804 Posts
I wasn't aware those in the Guangdong province are allowed to have two children.

As far as I know, only ethnic minorities are allowed to have more than one child.

·
中華民國
2,804 Posts
howelee said:
Are you sure? i'm not Han Chinese, but I'd never heard of that before
What are you if not Han Chinese?

I was first told about this during my second trip to China, which was to Xinjiang. Later I read about this somewhere online but I can't recall as it was at least 2 years ago.

Ethnic minorities in China get several benefits that Han Chinese don't get. Think of it as the Chinese version of affirmitive action...

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
loureed said:
Maybe I heard wrong?
Farmers are allowed to have a second children if their first children is a girl. I know many people, especially in countryside, do have over 1 child even if that means they have to pay fines. Also, even city residents can have a second child if they can prove that their first child is handicaped. Minorities are allowed to have more than one child but minorities with larger population have stricter policy and different places have different policies. Tibiten people and other minorities with smaller population are encouraged to have less children, but not enforced to do so, not like other ethinic group.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
loureed said:
I know a few things.

Anyone cannot live in an SEZ, you need special documentation.

More economically liberal, centers of FDI.

But what else? Do their newspapers and media have more flexibility compared to the rest of China? Those in the Guangdong province are allowed to have two children, does that apply to other SEZs?

How did the Chinese government decide which cities will become speical economic zones?
According to my knowledge, only Shenzhen has limitations for people to enter the city, but just a very small part of the city.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
loureed said:
Why are Tibetans and small minorities encouraged to have less children?

:?
Tibetan people live not only in tibet, they live all over the Country, even in Henan province, an inland province. China's resource cannot sustain so many people, even for minorities.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
howelee said:
Are you sure? i'm not Han Chinese, but I'd never heard of that before
tujia? i love tujia houses hehe..

we have at least 3 CHinese here who are not Han Chinese, i love diveristy!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hidden Dragon said:
Tibiten people and other minorities with smaller population are encouraged to have less children, but not enforced to do so, not like other ethinic group.
As far as I know, Tibetans, Mongolians, Uighurs are exempted from China’s strict family planning policy which is also more flexible for minorities in small population.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts