Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
18,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that traffic in the Northeast section has slowed down in the last few months, as opposed to how it was in 2006. In addition, I think we are all guilty of being too inclusive: we all tend to stick to threads about our area. What are your ideas to 1) get more people to join SSC and post in the Northeast section; 2) have great discussions about places in the Northeast; and 3) get people to have discussions about other places, not just the places that they live in?

Mention any ideas that you've had or can think up. Should we consider a forum meet in a "random" city for everyone to explore? Should we encourage forumers to visit other forumers in their hometowns? Should we find forums for cities and states and let them know about SSC? Should we have an "Adopt-A-City" event and try to get people involved in what's going on in other places? Should we search out intellectuals who know about urbanism or about the history of a certain city to tell us more about cities in the Northeast?

Now's the time to brainstorm and figure out how to make our section better.

·
Premium Member
30,817 Posts
Well...

I think that the reason for the decline is the fact that the Washington/Baltimore forumers got their own forum. They were the busiest group out here, weren't they? (not that I'm opposing the creation of their forum, good for them).

It's basically Delaware, Upstate New York, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania here. I have to admit, except for Connecticut Development, I too have declined my postings in this forum.

·
18,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Regarding the Baltimore/Washington section, I have advocated a better connection between the B/W section & NYC section and the Northeast section. One thing that I think is important is that the "last post" information should show when you see the link to the B/W and MYC sections in the Northeast section. Seeing a new thread or in what thread the most recent post was in will encourage you to go into that section, since a thread title might be interesting. I know this has happened to me several times regarding the Midwest, Southeast, Ontario, etc sections. Jasonhouse and others seem to agree with me, and I think Jasonhouse is working on this. So hopefully we'll get that and the B/W and NYC people will start coming in here more often.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Maybe more from Philly, Boston, Hartford, Providence. Bring some pics, and some threads from those cities. For right now its really only Buff & Pitt, which isn't enough. Boston & Philly are big major cities that can help the NE section, so let's incorporate them more. No offence, but no really wants to see rural areas and little no-name towns. There are a lot of them here. We want to see the big cities, the streets and people around the city. Its Skyscrapercity.com not eastbumville.com.

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
One thing that I think is important is that the "last post" information should show when you see the link to the B/W and MYC sections in the Northeast section. Seeing a new thread or in what thread the most recent post was in will encourage you to go into that section, since a thread title might be interesting. I know this has happened to me several times regarding the Midwest, Southeast, Ontario, etc sections.
Excellent point; I've done the same.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
everyone likes to appeal their city to other places...thats what PHOTO THREADS do...and they do that very well. (lets not limit photo threads in any way.)

also, SSC will move with trends as any forum does...trying to fix what has naturally happened could shift current members away...thats called "back fire"

SSC is fine...cut down the number of Stickys...yes, otherwise I would let it be.

:)

·
Premium Member
30,817 Posts
Maybe more from Philly, Boston, Hartford, Providence.
Plenty of stuff when it come to Hartford in the CT development forum.

Now, I don't have a digital camera so I can't make photo threads, but I think there's still a thread still in the NE main section. I would like to get one, but this @!#%ing car that I have is eating all my disposable income.

·
Registered
647 Posts
yeah; i agree with the person who said this: the major problem with the northeast section is that its basically just Buffallo, Pittsburgh Buffallo, Pittsburgh, Buffallo, Buffallo, Buffallo, potentially some more pittsburgh depending.

in general; this has become very much so a middle atlantic section. and the philly forumers and the boston forumers need to take pictures for us. also; baltimore ande new york being taken away makes us suffer a lot.

also; as soon as school is done taking over my life, i will take pictures of some the cities and towns in my area and post them; it might adda little bit of diversity to the situation; who knows.

all i know is that i love this section beause of pittsburgh. haha

·
Registered
223 Posts
To be honest all of the Buffalo stuff is a bit of a turn off for me.

I wouldnt mind if there was actual development, or substance to them, but I like to read about projects under review, under development, the review process, the concessions made, etc. and especially progress. However, I can click on a thread and read 2-3 pages before I even get to anything interesting. I do appreciate the energy displayed by the Buffalo posters, but I was there in fall and saw NO CRANES AT ALL. If Providence people were post mad I would understand, their city is really changing right now. But really I do hope the Buffalo downtown gets some love.

Just one opinion, because I sure do know that I post a lot of useless stuff in the CT forum.

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
I thought about reviving some old threads of a wide variety of NE cities (mostly smaller ones), but there were usually so few respionses I figured why bother.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
As much as I enjoy it, I think most of us are focused around only a select number of cities like Buffalo and Pittsburgh. We could use some photo threads/news on other cities in the northeast, too, for other cities that we all know and love and have been mentioned already. Maybe if we kind of ease off on the Buffalo stuff like photo threads and let other cities have a chance to get in here, maybe we'll have some success.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
the problem is that most people here won't even bother with photo threads of cities other than their own.

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
^^ I used to give a few responses to your CT cities. :)

VOR, that issue is why the Upstate NY non-development thread was created, me thinks.

I know 777, and I appreciated the responses. I guess my point is that some folks only want to deal with cities they know about, maybe it's a comfort zone thing.:dunno:

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
I will admit that I haven't been comming here lately, mainly b/c I don't have much to talk about my area a lot being a downstater.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts