SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it very dependable, so-so, or is it not dependable at all? Please feel free to share your thoughts!

·
Premium Member
30,326 Posts
Hartford's bus system is so-so.

As a car driver, I don't know much about the system. But, while some lines go until 10PM-12AM, others stop before 6PM (before dark) and it doesn't go to all areas. Good news is that a busway and commuter rail are planned to be done. But it does get the job done. And the suburbs? Forget it.

According to the Census Bureau, almost 19 percent of Hartford residents use public transportation. But only four percent use buses in thw whole Hartford county.

·
Registered
341 Posts
In miami mass transit is an odd entity to say the least. we have an elaborate bus system, though they run really oddly and often show up at the station with 2 or 3 of the same bus line in a row, followed by 20 minutes of none of that line. it has to do with the signalling and the fact that the buses go immense distances in routes (say 50-80 blocks each way and then turn around and do it the opposite direction). we have a regional rail line that runs n-s and is rarely used, the metrorail (elevated subway) is also a single line and improving ridership and allegedly expanding. theres a smaller downtown elevated train that services downtown really well, but doesnt go outside of downtown.

there is an ironic moment with metrorail where the bridge going n-s (as most of the train does) and crossing the main e-w highway with a sign "why drive ? - ride metrorail" ive always wanted someone to spraypaint metrorail doesnt go where we are going or something. ive seen it 100 times in rush hour and wanted to blow it up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's not that great in Sacramento unless you live right off of a light rail line (which is limited and slow). The bus system is okay, but not that impressive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Milwaukee's is great, if you live in the city or the older suburbs in the county. If that's the case, you're usually less than half a mile from the nearest bus route. I have always found it extremely reliable; each line has a guide that lists all times it is supposed to stop, and its rarely more than a couple minutes off. I've ridden on buses for 15 years, and the one thing I can't complain about is the system's dependibility. The problem is if you want to travel anywhere outside the county, but thats a different issue.

·
Registered
824 Posts
San Francisco's is hit and miss. Great if you live along BART or Muni Metro. Sucks if you have to depend on bus lines, which is just about everyone because BART and Muni Metro basically just run one subway line through the City.

·
Neanderthal
956 Posts
Well, Seattle is a little underdeveloped in mass transit. But we do have four extensive bus networks in the metro area. A 14-mile light rail line that will probably expand in the future is being constructed right now through Seattle. Rider estimates are high, so I'd say that we are going to be very dependent on this new rail line.

·
A B C
1,669 Posts
Boston is very dependable but it's losing riders because of the rising fare and bad services.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Baltimore is a mixed bag. The light rail line was recently greatly improved, runs faster and more frequently but is still slow downtown. It does go a long way though, from Hunt Valley in the north to the airport and Glen Burnie in the south (30 miles). The subway has always been quick and frequent but there is only one line from Owings Mills to Hopkins. The buses cover the entire metro area but can be anything from reasonably decent on some main roads to infrequent and slow on not-too-popular routes. Heaven help you if you have to ride buses and transfer between 2 or 3 routes...you might need to take your own food, water and bathroom. The MTA recently alienated some of the ridership by trying to delete or truncate some unpopular routes. Seems that every stop everywhere has at least one old lady who won't be able to get to her doctor if that stop is eliminated.

·
metrocard millionaire
1,257 Posts
more dependable than you can imagine, buses, multiple subways and commuter rail lines, ferries..what more you could you ask for

I wouldn't be a metrocard millionaire if it wasnt!

·
Banned
757 Posts
The Red line 24-7 baby.......read it and weep

·
Registered
571 Posts
B'more's sucks. It is so complicated, scando is right. BTW, also bring some extra money, as you'll never know if anything works or not

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Vancouver's is good, especially in the city.
The SkyTrain runs every 3-4 minutes during the day and every 90 seconds in rush hour. How do you beat that?

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
forumly_chgoman said:
The Red line 24-7 baby.......read it and weep

Not up to NYC's standards, but the CTA, and Metra combined are probably the #2 transit system in America.

Nothing wrong with the Brown Line either, especially when they get done renovating the Wilson/Kedzie platform near my house! :cheers:

Taken just a few days before renovation was to begin at the Kedzie station. One block from my house.

Speaking of Red Line, look at this shot....

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Not very good slow and not efficient but i can say improving with BRT coming soon too but the car beats it by miles. We only have buses no rail we've had plans for monorails, etc but all failed due to high price so i dont know whats gonna happen there.

·
1,652 Posts
San Diego has somewhat of a "mehh" transit system. I mean its dependable, but only really accessable if you live near it. The bus routes are complex, plus there being two main transit districts (MTS and NCTD) plus smaller ones in the south bay make things even more difficult. But some things do work. Like...

The Trolley (LRT) works best downtown and along the way to the border station (blue line). They just extended it to through mission valley (green line), and another last extention is being planned to go to UCSD and University City up north. Heres a basic map of what the system looks like and the trains as well.

Meanwhile for a more reginal mode of trastport, you have the heavy rail "Coaster". It goes north-south along the coast and has been in service for about 11 years with some modest success. And a heres a basic map of the system. You may notice that the entire Zone 3 has only one station. Thats because almost the whole ride is a complicated and twisting path passing through canyons, valleys and Marine Airstation Miramar.

Besides those two and the buses, their really isn't anything else to use. Under construction now though is the "Sprinter" which is a smaller, almost LRT-like off-shoot of the "Coaster". But instead of going along the coast it goes through to inland cities of North County. It should be done by summer '07.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
chicagogeorge said:
Speaking of Red Line, look at this shot....

that is the blue line....

I say the cta system is good, only if you have a transit card... if you have cash... you are in a disavantage....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts