Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
metrocard millionaire
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many of you know how your family came to new york (whether nyc, metro nyc, or ny state)

or how did you yourself come to new york?

i'm just curious...but i'll tell my story to start it off

on my mothers side..
my grandmother and grandfather (rest in peace to both) came to new york in the 1940's (if i'm right) from Alabama and North Carolina, and they ended up settling in white plains, then yonkers...back and forth...

as for my fathers side
My father is Jamaican/panamanian, he was a professional soccer player in the late 60's, early 70's in panama..first he went to miami, then he came to brooklyn in the early, mid 70's

and alot of other stuff happened after that..but thats it in a nutshell...lately most of the family on my mother's side has started to move back down south, while more of my father's side has moved to ny

well those are my two cents...how did your fam come here?

·
Member, Winifred Fan Club
2,967 Posts
My whole family up and left the Philippines on a Japan Airlines flight out of Manila and landed in JFK on June 20, 1986. I played my first stickball game that very day with a few Chinese, Peruvian and Korean kids on the street. Stayed at an aunt's house in Elmhurst, Queens for a few months. How cliche huh? Sounds like something out of a movie.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Third of a kind said:
how many of you know how your family came to new york (whether nyc, metro nyc, or ny state)

or how did you yourself come to new york?

i'm just curious...but i'll tell my story to start it off

on my mothers side..
my grandmother and grandfather (rest in peace to both) came to new york in the 1940's (if i'm right) from Alabama and North Carolina, and they ended up settling in white plains, then yonkers...back and forth...

as for my fathers side
My father is Jamaican/panamanian, he was a professional soccer player in the late 60's, early 70's in panama..first he went to miami, then he came to brooklyn in the early, mid 70's

and alot of other stuff happened after that..but thats it in a nutshell...lately most of the family on my mother's side has started to move back down south, while more of my father's side has moved to ny

well those are my two cents...how did your fam come here?

I wonder what´s your father´s name??

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
father's side:

grandmother was born in little rock, AR - moved to NY in 1946 after she married my grandfather
grandfather (born in NY or italy - not sure but his family came through ellis island and moved to NY

they met in chicago, married in little rock and settled in NY

mother's side:
grandmother born in NY - her family emigrated to NY from england and germany
grandfather was born in england and emigrated to NY through ellis island.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My dad was transferred for work to the NYC office from Frankfurt in the mid-1960s

My mom's family on both sides has been in NYC since the mid-1800s - mostly living in Manhattan (Yorkville - UES)

I was born & raised on Long Island - lived on the west coast and midwest as an adult, but moved back to NYC in 1-03.

I'm here for good :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
fathers side:
My great great grandfather came to the lower east side from Russia in the late 1800's to escape persecution. His family eventualy moved to queens, and then Nassau County, until my parents moved to north jersey from manhattan when i was 5.

Mothers side:
My great grandparents came to Brooklyn from Poland and Austria.

·
Banned
1,385 Posts
Fathers side - Grandparents born in Sicily, came to Brooklyn in the early 1900's and were bootleggers, then moved upstate to Utica.

Mothers side - Grandparents born in Ireland, moved to Freeport, Baldwin, and Oceanside, LI, some family stayed and is still there, some moved up to Utica.

Had me. Im going back down to the City to live when im done with school, with my friend Lee who is from East Elmhurst/Flushing, Queens. Moved up here when he was 12. Since Utica sucks the big one, were going back to where we belong. :cheers:

·
Relocated New Yorker
106 Posts
Don't know about my mom's side, but both of her parents were born in the Bronx, and my great-grandparents are from Italy. Not sure what part though.

As for my dad's side, his parents got married in Italy (my dad's side are from Frosinone, Ripi, and Velletri), and came to NY in 1952. My father learned Italian from growing up, then went to school to learn English. You would never be able to tell though if you spoke to him.

Both of my parents were born in the Bronx and moved upstate for high school.

Yes, as far back as it can show, I'm a pureblood.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My mothers side:

My aunt and uncle came to America (don't know when or why) and both settled in New York. My aunt was working at a hospital when there was a call for nurses to work in a Chicago county hospital. My aunt answered the call and moved to Chicago and my uncle moved to New Jersey.

Then the two convinced my mom to move to America. She moved in with my uncle in New Jersey and tried to find a job in New York, but couldn't. My aunt, living in Chicago, was able to find her a job at a nearby medical center. So my mom moved to Chicago and set her roots there. But it all began in New York.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts