Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Areas well out of core, but still part of incorporated LA

Votes: 9 34.6%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you asked a true blue, urban and urbane Angeleno which of the following was more "Los Angeles", which would he say:

• Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, and Santa Monica...which are in the LA core area but not part of the city

-or-

Encino and San Pedro, one in the valley and one in the harbor, part of the city, but well removed from the LA core

....which would they say?

·
Bleed Dodger Blue
1,773 Posts
Obviously the closer places are more LA, but that doesn't mean that the further places are not.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Interesting question. Although I am aware that B.H., Weho and Santa Monica are not part of the city of Los Angeles though I still consider them very much part of the urban core experience. Districts and neighborhoods like Encino, San Pedro and/or Chatsworth I consider less "Los Angeles" and more their own thing than do the aforementioned indie cities. I regard the LA urban core to stretch from Downtown LA to Santa Monica. This encompasses West Hollywood, Beverly Hills and of course SM.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Everything in the County is pretty much L.A.. If you ever run into some who lives in West Covina or Tujunga out of state, and you ask them where their from. They will always says:

Duh.... Like L.A., okay.... (well not exactly in those exact words but you get my drift) Hopefully this helps out.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
I ALWAYS correct them.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've never heard anyone from West Covina, or any of the San Gabriel Valley cities say their from LA. I'm more used to hearing them say I live in West Covina, Azusa, Pasadena, etc. Now when it comes to telling a person when you're out of town, this is when I think most people will say I'm from LA. I usually tell people when I on vacation I'm from LA instead of Long Beach, or Upland, West Covina, or the many other cities I lived in in around the metro.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
That's what I just said when ever you run into peeps out of state, they always say L.A.

Same case with peeps from BH, SM they will always tell I live in the Mansions/Hills of Beverly Hills, or by the Beach in Santa Monica.....

·
Registered
346 Posts
what is "real LA" if you mean mostly upper class Anglo then yes BH, SM, and Malibu would be more "real." But if you mean actual reality then places in the Valley, SGV, and the Harbor reflect the real demographic majorities and realities of LA.

·
Registered
514 Posts
That's what I just said when ever you run into peeps out of state, they always say L.A.

Same case with peeps from BH, SM they will always tell I live in the Mansions/Hills of Beverly Hills, or by the Beach in Santa Monica.....
Sorry about that, I missed that one key point. :bash:

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
what is "real LA" if you mean mostly upper class Anglo then yes BH, SM, and Malibu would be more "real." But if you mean actual reality then places in the Valley, SGV, and the Harbor reflect the real demographic majorities and realities of LA.

What is real L.A.?

The entire County is real L.A. for one. Some live in LA city some live in incorporated cities and some live in independent cities within LA County. As far as mostly upper class Anglo, people get a grip on yourself. This is one thing I never understood about people. Race always plays a card for everything here, can we move away from that card for a minute and focus on the real issue.

Anyone who has made a profitable living in Los Angeles, everyone is the key word. It's a guarantee that their always going to move to a better hood. That's usually the first big step, we always want to show what we got, right? So trust me If I was to win the Lotto tonight, you bet your ass I'm buying a mansion on the hills or even Malibu, why not!!!! I will take so much pride that when people ask me where do you live, I can proudly say I live in Malibu and my house is worth 15.5 melons.... quote on quote!

·
Tastemaker Extraordinare
308 Posts
"LA" LA is the area between downtown, the hills over Sunset, the ocean, and maybe Washington to the South. It includes Culver City (america's newest and hottest art district), BH, SM, and WH. It should probably include Malibu too, but that is disconnected from the rest. That is the REAL Los Angeles.

At the same time all of So Cal is LA (except San Diego, which is San Diego).

I'm so LA!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
baz, i never suggested the westside here, did I? I'm thinking of areas south of the Hollywood Hills and north of the harbor and its extension to the rest of the city. That's a lot of real estate...from east of downtown to the Pacific. At no point was I thinking you'd have to be west of Fairfax to count as the core of LA.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I understand. I just find it interesting that San Pedro, which looks like it is nowhere near LA's core has more similarities with LA's demographics than a place like BH. Even though BH geographically and culturally seems more LA.

Ferney, I have no idea what that rant was all about but make sure you invite me for a few coronas at your new diggs in Malibu.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
Everything stretching from Downtown LA to Santa Monica bounded by the moutains and the 10 Freeway is the true LA. Places like Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, and West Hollywood, though not part of the city proper, are very much a part of the LA culture. But also keep in mind that all three municipalities are completely surround by the City of Los Angeles.

I definitely consider parts of the Valley to be 'less' LA. It is THEY that should be the suburbs and cities like Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, and West Hollywood should be part of the city.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
I wish LA would relinquish parts of the SFV and annex Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, and West Hollywood. I know all three in a way are indepedent of LA but at the same time they're so LA.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
What is real L.A.?

The entire County is real L.A. for one. !
No I don't agree w/ this. Over time particularly in the last 30 years we have seen some really distinct subcultures in LA become prominent. In the 80's "Valley" culture was exported to the world and that was seperate from the Rock-n-Roll Hollywood culture that was happening at the same time. Then in the midst of that (my best reference is "Colors" and Ice-T) west coast hip hop culture took off giving the rest of us who were not living in LA a glimpse of what it was like to live south of the 10. It will be a while before LA can shirk the image that most people have when they come here, of renting a convertible and rolling down Sunset. Or the other LA image inspired by "Three's Company" of rollerskating/blading along the beach path in SaMo and Venice. Sorry but these popular images are not associated w/ W. Covina, E. LA or Hawthorne. So it's obvious that we are not talking about actual demographics of San Pedro vs LA County since the heading of this thread in part was "real Angelinos", notice the quotes. What we are talking about is more fluff than fact, more feel than real. And since when does anybody from Compton or Long Beach (post Hip Hop era) have to explain that these places are suburbs of Los Angeles?

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
1 - 20 of 49 Posts