SkyscraperCity banner

How do you store your digital image files?

• Two hard disks plus back-up media

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One hard disk plus back-up media

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Two hard disks

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Back-up media

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • One hard disk

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Other

Votes: 1 5.9%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
4,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Considering the risks of for example a hard disk crash or bad back-up media, how do you store your original digital image files?

Please read the poll options carefully:
This is about ALL your digital image files.
A hard disk is either internal and/or external.
Back-up media is CD-R, DVD-R, tape, and the like.

Storing on two hard disks = have the same image files on both hard disks (duplicating/mirroring, either automatic or manual).

Storing on one hard disk plus back-up media = have the same image files on both the hard disk and back-up media.

Storing only on back-up media = all your image files on back-up media, only a (small) part of your image files on your hard disk.

Storing on two hard disks plus back-up media = have the same image files on both hard disks and back-up media.

Other = for example online back-up service through internet.

·
Registered
350 Posts
CD's are more reliable if properly stored. Hard disks by the good brands are pretty reliable, but when they give up, they tend to loose alot of the data and it's time consuming to retrive it again. I've had to do it few times.

·
Iron horse rider dlx
4,278 Posts
I have them on the internal harddrive and sync them occationally to an external harddrive using a pragram called Samedir. The external HD is only connected when I do backups.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Since I only have a 20 gig HD, I bought a external HD that's got 40 gigs. I tried to back up my entire system with Norton Ghost, but that was a piece of crepe!! Now I just back up the folders with my photos. Since the external HD uses USB, and USB 1.1 at that I usually do it when I go to bed because it's a pain to wait around.

·
Старий М
5,285 Posts
Actually I have a 512 mb card, so I am never afraid to delete them of the pc because I leave them on the card.

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Well I just baught my first DC a few weeks ago, so I havent taken that many pictures .. however the ones I do have are stored here on my computer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts