SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you say?

After WW2, deforestation has been a serious problem because of communists policies that have caused severe flooding in China's rivers and sandstorms in the North.

Serious reforestation efforts have been implemented, but replanted trees will not have the same benefits as the original coverage. Hopefully, the 2008 Olympic games won't be blanketed in a sandstorm. :)

China has 8 of the 10 most polluted cities in the world.

Is China embracing green technology? Green architecture? Are SUVs popular in China?

In my personal life, I have a difficult time convincing my parents to care for the environment. When I ask them to recycle, they look at me like I'm crazy. They throw cans out of their car windows and litter without embarassment. When we change the car oil, I take the used oil to be properly disposed, my parents would just throw it away like anything else where the oil can poison the underground drinking water.

They just don't understand why I would go out of my way to do things where it doesn't immediately benefit us. They have no respect for the public domain or the greater community.

Would you say this is just my parents or Chinese behavior as a whole?? Is this changing in China?

·
中華民國
2,804 Posts
The government is definitely more environmentally conscious than the people. By that I mean the government has funded numerous environmental projects, namely those that contain and reverse desertification. I remember reading an article about that in National Geographics, one of the rare positive articles they had on China...

In any case, China is still a relatively poor and underdeveloped country. Just like any other country, people generally literally can't even afford to think about the environment if they can't even get fed. While number-wise, there are many many wealthy Chinese but when you look at the ratio, they are still in the minority.

A very bad trend I see happening now in China is that as more and more people become wealthy, they want to buy cars as a social status. Most major Chinese cities already have decent mass transit systems that's better for the environment. When I asked some of my friends in Beijing and Shanghai about this issue, they all said that they would all rather drive their own car than to take the subway or the bus. This is horrible because imagine how much worse the pollution would be if everyone had a car.

But I think (or at least hope) this is just a phase and that eventually mainland Chinese will go back to either take the mass transit system or ride bicycles which is much cleaner and also good for people's health, not to mention that bicycles also take up less space than cars.

------------

On a positive note though... the last time I went back to Taiwan I noticed the situation there has improved a great deal.

One thing that really shocked me was that when people go grocery shopping, they tend to bring their own shopping bag. The grocery stores still provide plastic shopping bags but if you want to use them, you have to pay a small environmental fee. This policy was put in place to discourage people from using plastic bags.

In contrast... last night my girlfriend and I went grocery shopping at a local Kroger's and saw some lady at the self-checkout lane used three plastic grocery bags for one carton of milk...

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
china has too many people, it's a huge pressure on the ecosystem already, and the industrilization only further servered the problem. although it's probably not government's fault for the envrionmental problems but it bear the responsibility to improve the situation. and i dont see it done., although many projects are going on, but i cant stop wondering how much work is ACTUALLY done, take my home city beijing for example, in 2000 i think the enviornment has really be improved, before that factories were the main source of pollution, after 2000 some factories were closed down, buring coal was prohibited and we had blue sky for sometimes, but then as we all know sandstorm became the no.1 source of pollution, beijing began to plant trees, but the problem is the sand came from inner mongolia or even outer mongolia, and they had to plant threes there. let's not talk about outer mongolia because it's another country, but you can never expect inner mongolia to improve its enviornment for beijing, because beijing is where central government is located, i doubt Jiang Zemin (by then president) will be happy sandstorms happen all the time. but inner monoglia is different, central government's power cant reach there, the officials are so corrupt and greedy that sometimes they will put the money used to buy threes into their own pockets. i just hope they will get serious about the envrionment when Olympics is only 3 years away.

·
Registered
374 Posts
loureed said:
What would you say?

China has 8 of the 10 most polluted cities in the world.
That's not ture.probably it's one of the most famous lies about China, some people say it was reported by WHO. in fact, WHO has never published a report like that. I don't know how it came out, can you tell me the source? Although China faces serious pollution problems , it is not as horrible as some people imagined.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
howelee said:
That's not ture.probably it's one of the most famous lies about China, some people say it was reported by WHO. in fact, WHO has never published a report like that. I don't know how it came out, can you tell me the source? Although China faces serious pollution problems , it is not as horrible as some people imagined.
Really? I thought it was true because I've heard it a lot (I've also seen it on the news), although I've never actually heard which cities they are and what are the other 2 cities. Do you have a source that stats that this list is bogus and doesn't exist?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Granted, this is pretty old, but it has China with 9 or the 10 worst, with the other being in India.

http://www.monitor.net/monitor/monitor/9907a/lanzhou.html

Personally, I would say that China is selectively environmental. The reforestration program is badly needed, and it's good they're moving on that. However, many companies here pollute like mad. Usually the solution to the environmental problems they create is to move the factories out of the major cities and into small towns where people don't have the power or visibility to oppose them. Still, it's better than it used to be.

·
Registered
374 Posts
“广州市环境质量状况不可能列入‘世界十大污染城市’之列。”广州日报报道,昨日(5.15)下午,广州市环保局局长姜崇洲,在广州市政府新闻发布会上,用详尽的数据驳斥了广州市外一小报刊登的《广州列入世界十大污染城市》的报道,广州市政府副秘书长、办公厅主任凌伟宪表示,这则报道是对广州市形象的极大损害,广州市人民政府将保留对谣言的制造者和传播者采取追究法律责任措施的权利。
   广州名列世界十大污染城市之列没有任何根据

姜崇洲指出,2000年底,广州市已经实现了国务院提出的环境“一控双达标”,在全国31个省会城市和直辖市中,能够完成上述环保任务的只有广州、海口和杭州3个城市,也就是说,广州市的环境综合指标连中国的最后十名都不是,又怎么可能是世界的“十大污染城市”呢?

姜崇洲说,到目前为止,包括世界卫生组织在内,世界上还没有任何一个权威机构对全世界大城市的环境质量进行排名。昨日上午,国家环保总局也指出,至今没有对全世界的大城市进行过环境排名,也从来没有对媒体和有关科研机构提供这样的排名资料。某小报援引的文章只是出自于北京国际科技博览会上一位代表的发言,因此,有关“广州是世界十大污染城市”的报道缺少权威性。

姜崇洲还指出,任何排名都应该有一个科学的指标体系,但是昨日上午某小报的报道,既没有明确指出排名是针对全世界大城市的空气、水、噪声或者综合环境指标,也没有明确排名的标准是什么、所使用的数据是什么时间采集的,因此排名缺乏科学性。

·
Registered
87 Posts
what a worthless website,can it be believed,no
someone make a worthless website to make some fake news to uglify China.that's all.
Clashman said:
Granted, this is pretty old, but it has China with 9 or the 10 worst, with the other being in India.

http://www.monitor.net/monitor/monitor/9907a/lanzhou.html

Personally, I would say that China is selectively environmental. The reforestration program is badly needed, and it's good they're moving on that. However, many companies here pollute like mad. Usually the solution to the environmental problems they create is to move the factories out of the major cities and into small towns where people don't have the power or visibility to oppose them. Still, it's better than it used to be.

·
Registered
420 Posts
ILOVEYOU- said:
what a worthless website,can it be believed,no
someone make a worthless website to make some fake news to uglify China.that's all.
Yawn.

There is very little in this world more boring than listening to a vitriolic nationalist who can't accept that there might be something wrong with their country, somewhere, somehow.

·
Registered
374 Posts
What color is the sky? "White," she says. "Sometimes yellow." How can you believe such a ridiculous report ?

ILOVEYOU is not a nationalist,he is just saying what I want to say.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
the sky is INDEED yellow when there is sandstorm, in fact our ke jian cao were cancelled because we couldn't even go outside.

maybe you folks in the south have never experienced this haha.

of course this is not everyday situation, it only happens during some times of the year and in some part of China.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts