Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to hit both cities in the same day?

i'm going up to utica sometime in late june and plan on taking a side trip to buffalo and rochester while i'm up there. haven't been to either city since carter was president...and too young to remember.

·
Paradise Island
3,743 Posts
My family drove from Clinton to central Indiana and Chicago a bunch of times in the 80s. If I remember correctly (and I may not) Rochester took about 2 hours and Buffalo 3 provided the weather cooperated.

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
That's about right. Utica to Syracuse takes about 40 minutes, then a little under an hour and a half from Syracuse to Rochester and just over an hour from Rochester to Buffalo.

Then you have to consider the return back, that's about 6 hours of driving.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Rochester is 128 miles and Buffalo is 190 miles from Utica, at least according to this sign found taken from past the I-790 exit on the Thruway. :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
is it possible to hit both cities in the same day?

i'm going up to utica sometime in late june and plan on taking a side trip to buffalo and rochester while i'm up there. haven't been to either city since carter was president...and too young to remember.
Carter was a shithead!

Buffalo and Rochester added a couple buildings each...streets are cleaner in the downtowns and for the most part things look pretty good.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Rochester is 2 hours from Utica.

Buffalo is 3 hours from Utica.

If you are just going to look at the downtown areas of both cities then you can see both in one day.

If you are going to really explore the regions and see some of the nicer suburbs as well, you will need one day for each city.

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
Hey, what do you know - all our time estimates agree with each other!

Of course Jaybird's picture from the unmarked I-790 lets you figure it out exactly based on your own preferred speed.

Agreed with the time frames too. You ought to ditch the Thruway and take a trip through Letchworth or a million other places in between.

·
18,290 Posts
Agreed with the time frames too. You ought to ditch the Thruway and take a trip through Letchworth or a million other places in between.
Off topic, but I plan on touring Upstate New York extensively when I come up to Canada in August. Usually, I would just take Route 15 to Painted POst, I-390 to Mount Morris, and then Route 20A to Buffalo. My visits to cities and towns were limited to places close to these roads. But I plan on seeing a whole bunch of new cities and counties that I've never visited. I could go as far east as Syracuse and as far west as Jamestown.

I actually started seeing other places is Western New York this past April when I went to Cattaraugus and Allegany Counties and took pictures of places that I had never really been to.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You ought to ditch the Thruway and take a trip through Letchworth or a million other places in between.
won't have time for that this time around. not until i move back up that way at least.

@ matt, she's not sure where she wants to live.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts