Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Jive is Alive.
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is your neighborhood hooked up transitwise? How many bus/train lines serve your 'hood? Can you get downtown without transferring? Let's talk transit dudes.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My neighborhood is extremely "hooked up." Red Line and Brown Line serve this area, as well as several bus routes (#156 La Salle, #22 Clark, #70 Division) that run very freqently. You can get anywhere you want to go downtown fairly easily.

What about your area Jive? Where are we at in St. Louis as far as the Metrolink is concerned (expansion?). When I lived in the CWE, I could walk a few blocks to the Metrolink stop and get downtown (but it was also easy for me to drive down there and park on the street). I don't remember seeing buses all that often. What is the bus system like today in the CWE?

·
The Jive is Alive.
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^I live in the CWE. I'm four blocks from the nearest Metro station, which can whisk me to downtown, midtown, the airport and points between very easily. The bus line in front of my apartment building (#93 Lindell) runs every 13 minutes. The #18 Taylor bus runs every 20 minutes, and the #95 Kingshighway bus runs every 7 minutes. It's very convenient to get around my 'hood without a car.

·
King of Flyover Country
1,085 Posts
I can take the #2 to anywhere I pretty much desire in my neighborhood and downtown Columbus. Columbus' bus system is very very simple and convienent.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
The Orangge Line will get me to the Loop without transferring. Also the Archer(#62).

I guess my neighborhood is pretty good transit wise.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i live in the university of mn, which is the 3rd largest transit user (behind the downtowns), so i also well hooked up...
-lrt is a 10 minute walk from my west bank classes
-during rush hours, i can take an express the most parts of the metro
-the 16 and 50 (a ltd stop 16) run combined about every 5 minutes during rush hour, connecting the downtowns to me nicely
-the 6 will take me straight to uptown via downtown
-the 2 will take me past about a dozen food co-ops on its way to the southern dt area
-the 3 takes me to the como zoo, my lady-friends work, both dt's, and the fair grounds for conventions

its a dream, especially w/ unlimited rides for $55/semester!

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
i live a block away from the addison red line stop here in chicago. and then yeah, there's a lot of bus routes too. life in lakeview is very easy without a car. in fact, given the HORRIBLE street parking situation in my hood, i'd go so far to say that life is actually easier without a car.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Andersonville in Chicago is a 5-10 minute walk from the Red Line of the el, which is a direct route downtown. There are also 4 north/south bus lines nearby (all go downtown, but why take them that far when the el is so close by?) along with an east/west route on Foster Ave. (useful for getting to the Blue Line to get to O'Hare).

·
Registered
201 Posts
flatiron94 said:
I live in Eagan/minneapolis and I take 445 strate to the mall of america then the light rail into downtown.
My mistake I can take 472w ex strate to downtown minneapolis.
and 484 ex strate to downtown st paul.
445 also takes me to the Eagan transit station which has abunch of routes.

·
Voice of Reason (usually)
1,936 Posts
I'm so close to a bus stop or train station! All I have to do is hop in my car, drive roughly 45 minutes, and BAM! I'm there! Ready to ride a bus or train to my hearts content! Not only that, but once I get to the nearest train station I could ride a train to ANY... yes ANY! you heard me! Any major city I want! WUHOO!!!

Ah, the marvels modern transportation.

Ut oh! Someone's :llama: just wandered into my yard! Excuse me... I have to go cry now...

·
muted
7,080 Posts
I'm two blocks from one el station that has the Brown (and Purple) line and two blocks from another that has the Red and Brown (and Purple) lines. They all go directly downtown (where I go to school), so there's no need to transfer. Also, there are buses on every major street (north-south and east-west) every four blocks in either direction.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Toledo Story #9

JivecitySTL said:
Is your neighborhood hooked up transitwise? How many bus/train lines serve your 'hood? Can you get downtown without transferring? Let's talk transit dudes.
:rock:

I live in my neighborhood with 2 bus routes 1 block north of my house and another one 1 block south. They both go to downtown straight through. There's about 32 bus routes and they all except for one (which is a crosstown) go to downtown where they have a loop runs by four stations in the CBD.

·
Registered
562 Posts
My transit options to downtown:

Walk 20 minutes to nearest Purple Line stop.

Walk a block to catch one of three buses which run to the Red Line or downtown Evanston.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts