Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much of a national (as well as local) icon is Dodger Stadium?

Seems to me that the ballpark is about to achieve unique status. With New York now in process of not merely renovating Yankee Stadium like it did in the 1970's, but replacing it with a whole new stadium that Dodger Stadium acquires a unique, singular role:

the only lasting, revered and iconic baseball stadium in the land.

Of course, Wrigley and Fenway are totally revered. But they were built in an earlier era and ballparks; the word "stadium" would neve apply. Dodger Stadium, however, like Yankee Stadium before it was built with a grandeur and scale that never could have been achieved in the Wrigley/Fenway era. It wasn't by accident that it became known as the Taj Mahal of baseball.

Even with all the retroparks (or maybe even because of them), DS still inspires with its clean, symmetrical lines and a grandeur that only a stadium could generate.

Does LA look at DS as something it would like to see go on forever the way Boston and Chicago's North Side feel about their parks? Will DS's iconic status always be a factor if the time comes for LA to consider building a new park?

·
Registered
426 Posts
LA really does love Dodger Stadium, and most people seem very against building a new one (which has been proposed from time to time).

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
We should just call Dodger Stadium, "THE STADIUM."

I wouldn't mind a new stadium, provided it's a carbon copy of the original :)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
like i said befor, why cant there be multi level parking structures at the stadium rather then the sheet parking there is now?

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
like i said befor, why cant there be multi level parking structures at the stadium rather then the sheet parking there is now?
* The structures would block the view of and from the stadium
* If getting out of a surface parking lot is a bitch and a half, just IMAGINE what it would be getting out of a structure!

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts

^ :eek:mg: did he really say that..... Has this cat even been to Dodgers Stadium before to make such a comment:eek:hno: It's a bitch to get out now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Non~natives are too funny at times............:weird:

·
skyscraper maniac
1,982 Posts
Dodger Stadium set the begining to the new era of ballparks. There's so much to it, I consider it a monument of LA, like the Hollywood sing, and the SM pier.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dodger Stadium set the begining to the new era of ballparks. There's so much to it, I consider it a monument of LA, like the Hollywood sing, and the SM pier.
Dodger Stadium blew the baseball world away when it was built in the early 1960's. They fact that it was admired and had that "wow factor" but was never duplicated like today's retroparks gives DS an unbelievably iconic stature. There is no place like it. For clean, symmetrical lines and curves in a setting of grandeur, DS is in a league of its own.

·
Or is it?
10,769 Posts
I live like... 3 minutes away from it but I've never seen it in person before. I see the fireworks show from my window though.

Oh wait.. I am going to go to Dodgers vs Cubs tonight! :D

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
^^ I will agree with most the above. Dodger Stadium is indeed one of the first of the "modern" style stadiums. But I have to wonder if a time will come when the owners will realize they need more amenities to be competitive. (Yes, Wrigley hasn't come to that, and Fenway still is going strong despite some rather ambitious remodel plans). But those are of a different era, as pointed out above. I love Dodger Stadium, but really have doubts it will achieve the same kind of status as Wrigley and Fenway.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
My only dislike with Dodger Stadium is that it doesn't face Downtown LA.
You have to realize that when it was built there really wasn't any skyline to look at.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
I still feel that Dodgers Stadium needs to be built in Downtown. Right where the Belmont Learning Site is never going to be finish. It would have easy access to local Fwy's and Transit while over looking the amazing L.A. Skyline.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
I still feel that Dodgers Stadium needs to be built in Downtown. Right where the Belmont Learning Site is never going to be finish. It would have easy access to local Fwy's and Transit while over looking the amazing L.A. Skyline.
Actually the Belmont Site is nearing completion. They changed the design slightly and changed the now-stigmatized name...it is now the Vista Hermosa Learning Center. They will also build a park next to the site.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
My only dislike with Dodger Stadium is that it doesn't face Downtown LA.
I made the same "complaint" a while back on this thread, but like besides the fact that at the time it was built there was no skyline, you also have to take into account (as someone informed me) that the sun sets on that side, so the batter would be facing the setting sun apparently, haha

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
I made the same "complaint" a while back on this thread, but like besides the fact that at the time it was built there was no skyline, you also have to take into account (as someone informed me) that the sun sets on that side, so the batter would be facing the setting sun apparently, haha

Yes, that is the main reason. Nearly all baseball stadiums, Dodger Stadium included, have a batter face the northeast. Baseball is a sport played between the months of April and October, so those northeast-pointing stadiums take the sun's position into account. The only exceptions are domed/enclosed stadiums or those whose design or local geography make the sun not a big issue.

·
skyscraper maniac
1,982 Posts
The only complain (not really) is the fact that the stadium is sunken, and practically there's no outside for it. To my understanding, it was built like that because of parking issues, right?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts