SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Je suis SpiderWolf
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a european teenager and I'd like to know a bit more about persian and arab countries, because some say they're devastated by wars, cruel religious laws and dictatorships. Where as some say it's a developped territory where anyone, regardless of his religion, could live and that islamic terrorism is a quiet rare phenomenom (i don't hear it that often...).

So i ask everyone on this forum that has based knowledge about this part of the world or, even better, that lives or has lived there to talk about it.

It's not an anti-terrorism campaign or an advertisement of the Iranian tourism office, so, please, be objective.

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
the term "middle east" is way to wide of a spectrum, countries can vary drastically, based on economy, politics and the people's general culture
its not like lets say "western europe" (germany, france england belgium sweden holland etc) where the countries all have passed certain level of development (culturally and economically) and fall under a similar social and cultural mindset

the middle east isnt like that

·
Je suis SpiderWolf
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
countries can vary drastically
Well then describe each country one by one (Iraq, Israel, Saudi Arabia...)

Thank you for the link about Tehran, it has been eye-opening for me.

But I heard about a terrorist organization called PMOI (People's Mudjahedin Of Iran) that "fights to establish a secular and democratic republic in Iran". So are there many unhappy people there?
The President of Iran is elected by Iranians, right? So in what way is Iran "undemocratic"?

I didn't really doubt that Iran was a developped country, but i'd like to know if, according to you, everybody's sufficiently equal despite of their sex, sexual orientation, opinions... (No country is a utopia, in Europe too we have many inequalities)
And what about poverty? (I looked for Iran's GDP per capita but never found the same numbers)

Maybe it's a taboo and then I wouldn' go further, I want knowledge but not troubles

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
Well then describe each country one by one (Iraq, Israel, Saudi Arabia...)

Thank you for the link about Tehran, it has been eye-opening for me.

But I heard about a terrorist organization called PMOI (People's Mudjahedin Of Iran) that "fights to establish a secular and democratic republic in Iran". So are there many unhappy people there?
The President of Iran is elected by Iranians, right? So in what way is Iran "undemocratic"?

I didn't really doubt that Iran was a developped country, but i'd like to know if, according to you, everybody's sufficiently equal despite of their sex, sexual orientation, opinions... (No country is a utopia, in Europe too we have many inequalities)
And what about poverty? (I looked for Iran's GDP per capita but never found the same numbers)

Maybe it's a taboo and then I wouldn' go further, I want knowledge but not troubles
no its fine there is no taboo lol
to sum it up, iran is under a religious dictatorial system and most people arent happy, the mujahedin are/were a small group that were on exile in border lands, however, they claim democracay but really iran could of been even worse under their hands, they have almost been destroyed totally and the group doesnt really exist, they were very unpopular anyway

people arent equal under law, sadly, its a fundamentalist regime and you would now how that works, life is difficult and there are many jobless people, its a religious republic, imagine if a bunch of christian fundamentalists that only care about their own pockets took over a european country

iran's contemporary history is very complex and so is the society (as a form of resistance) and its difficult to explain it here, after the 1979 revolution many hopes were destroyed however iranians learned to fight for themselves and whatever you see good about iran today is because they people have resisted all the force and pressure that has been put on them

there were massive protests in 2009 after the elections, that iranians showed what they want,many were killed and put in jail (im surprised you dont know about this) but people are tired of revolutions, they dont allways work and can cause an even worse system to come , so people have are changing things slowly
hopefully i will live to see my country free again

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2009/06/scale-iran-protests
a small sample of the 2009 protests (protests have happened before aswell)

·
Je suis SpiderWolf
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thank you for answering.

I used to think that most of Iranians were OK with the Islamic Republic. But now you reminded me about these protests in 2009 I know that I was wrong.
I had actually heard of these protests, but 3 years ago I was still a child and I didn't really care about foreign actuality as well as my own country's, so I didn't know where they took place, neither what they were for...

Anyway now that I learned more about Iran I hope another country will answer...

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
totomax, i love open minded people like you who are willing to learn more. firstly im from iraq, so if you have any questions please ask :)

I also would like to state that one thing that i hate about the media. its that it portraits a country from the reflection of the government. when its the people of the country that are being oppresed by the government and who are against them. many people today think that iran is full of terrorists and people who have the same ambitions as their government. however most iranian people dislike their oppresive government and would like to see a change.

·
Je suis SpiderWolf
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
@SumerianKing, thank you for proposing your help

So, I prepared a bunch of questions:
-What do most Iraqis think of the West and America, are they angry because of 1990-91 and 2003?

-Is Iraq a developped country, are there many modern cities (buildings...)?

-I read the Ba'ath Party had made of Iraq a secular and democratic country, but was it really? (Saddam Hussein was president for 24 years so I guess no)

-Was Saddam Hussein a bad president? Was he popular?

-Is the situation between kurds, shias and sunnites getting better?

-What is the political system of Iraq exactly and are Iraqis happy of it and of their situation (i guess it's different for the three ethnic groups)?

I hope you'll be able to answer all my questions

·
Je suis SpiderWolf
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know Iraq has a good literacy rate and good institutes of higher education thanks to Hussein's politic. But I also know about the kurd genocide that he ordered, so I don't know which image Iraqis kept of him.

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
@SumerianKing, thank you for proposing your help :)

So, I prepared a bunch of questions:
-What do most Iraqis think of the West and America, are they angry because of 1990-91 and 2003?
to put it mildly.

-Is Iraq a developped country, are there many modern cities (buildings...)?
no, it was quite developed until 1990 or so.

-I read the Ba'ath Party had made of Iraq a secular and democratic country, but was it really? (Saddam Hussein was president for 24 years so I guess no)
no, iraq was secular before the baath came into power. saddam actually introduced "faith campaign" during the 1990s to help his grip on power which made religion more widespread in the country.

-Was Saddam Hussein a bad president? Was he popular?
he was bad, he was popular with some people and hated by the majority.

-Is the situation between kurds, shias and sunnites getting better?
no.

-What is the political system of Iraq exactly and are Iraqis happy of it and of their situation (i guess it's different for the three ethnic groups)?
it is a parliamentary democracy with elections every 4 years. people are not happy due to the "calibre" of politicians... this is mainly because Iraqi parties are just ethno-sectarian groups rather than genuine political organisations.

I hope you'll be able to answer all my questions :)
check out the iraqi forum if you have time. Some places in the ME are pleasant (like beirut or Dubai). other places avoid like plague (saudi arabia, iraq).

·
Je suis SpiderWolf
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
to put it mildly.

he was bad, he was popular with some people and hated by the majority.

Iraqi parties are just ethno-sectarian groups rather than genuine political organisations.
So they don't like the West, neither the Baath, neither their actual political parties. But is there anyone or anything that represents Iraq's opinion at the moment?
What do you think are their opinion? Would they prefer a secular or islamic Republic?

·
dreams of Babylon rising
13,685 Posts
So they don't like the West, neither the Baath, neither their actual political parties. But is there anyone or anything that represents Iraq's opinion at the moment?
What do you think are their opinion? Would they prefer a secular or islamic Republic?
they would prefer to be rich without having to do any work. :D

·
Banned
33 Posts
Israel is thankfully unlike the rest of the Middle East. Right now, though, the only thing we share in common with our neighbors is that we have a lot of religious freaks. Although it should be noted that not all (or even most) religious people in Israel are extremists/freaks.

Most Israelis are either secular or moderately religious (e.g., they believe in God, celebrate a few holidays, but otherwise don't behave religiously).

In general, Israel is a fiercely democratic country. Freedom of expression is a sancrosanct right here. People liberally use this right to speak out on any issue they feel like...politics, religion, civil rights, etc.

The best way for me to describe Israel is as follows: Israel is like several countries in one. Jerusalem is religious and socially conservative (e.g., like Saudi Arabia), Tel Aviv is completely liberal, secular and hedonistic (nude beaches, gay pride parades, etc), Haifa is sometimes known as "Red Haifa" because it is home to many Russians and many Communists/super-liberal Arabs/Jews; you then have the Arab villages in Israel which tend to fall into one of two categories: liberal, socially progressive, modern (usually Christian and sometimes Druze villages) or conservative, religious, and backwards (usually Muslim villages; though some Muslim villages fall into the first category).

·
Registered
526 Posts
In arabia we still ride camels and we live in tents we don't go to schools JK

I think you should turn off your TV and seek for the truth.
Anyway like humans in this world we live "normally" many countries have press freedom and private TV channels, as you can see you can party, drink, even have premarital sex, arab countries may not be as developed as you might imagine but most of them are OK we don't have the living standards of the west but it's not that bad.
for the extremists even in your country you can find some christian extremists like the guy from Norway anyway for the majority they are not "normal" people.

·
Je suis SpiderWolf
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^

I never listened to the prejudices TV conveys, and i'm actually seeking for the truth with this thread.
What I'd mostly like to know is how are the people of ME like. If they're religious or mostly atheist (as in the West), if they feel good with their political systems that are mostly dictatorships, monarchies or religious republics
I read Arabia is still a monarchy, its constitution is based on Coran and if you protest you might be sentenced to death. So Arabians are obviously not as free as europeans.

And I never thought terrorism was a muslim monopoly. Only a very few people in France have this primitive image of arabs

1 - 20 of 51 Posts