SkyscraperCity banner

How long in your opinion do you think Harper will be PM?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,507 Posts
Probably for a while at least, the Liberals are in dissarrey and 10+ leadership hopefuls the Liberals have are somewhat pathetic. As time goes on people are starting to see that the Conservatives are not the great evil empire that they had been labelled by the Liberals and liberal friendly media.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
I think he will stick out to the end of his Majority win. I think the conservatives will win a majority in the next election, as the liberals will still be in a mess. Once the following election comes around, the conservatives will have a new leader, and will more than likely loose that election.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,465 Posts
It is to hard to say. Many expected the conservatives to fail really early on. Thus far they seem to be doing okay at keeping everyone satisfied for the time being.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Minority governments never work. When they get the non-confidence vote the public will see that as a bad thing and turn back to the Liberals. I will be surprised if this doesn't happen by summer 2007.
 

·
Toon Town bandit
Joined
·
880 Posts
Cartwheel said:
Minority governments never work. When they get the non-confidence vote the public will see that as a bad thing and turn back to the Liberals. I will be surprised if this doesn't happen by summer 2007.
i sure hope your wrong here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Cartwheel said:
Minority governments never work. When they get the non-confidence vote the public will see that as a bad thing and turn back to the Liberals. I will be surprised if this doesn't happen by summer 2007.
I would say...even the Canadian public isn't that stupid!
 
Joined
·
655 Posts
well as to Stephen Harper not having political skills that is totally wrong. A 43 percent approval rating means he has transformed a party that lost an election to Paul Martin in 2004 to a Government that is on the verge of converting a minority into a majority with polling numbers that rival the best that brian mulroney or pierre elloit trudeau had. Stephen Harper has done this with very skillful measures that speak to many different people who either voted for him or to people who didnt vote for him. Stephen Harpers rise to the PMO's office has only really has one other parrellel in canadian political history. Pierre Trudeau's survival from defeat by Joe Clark to Trudeau's re-election on the back of the imfamous non-confidence motion against a 10 cent a gallion gasoline tax.

A great example of Stephen Harper's great political skill is the gun registry and how Stephen Harper was able to satisfy the people who elected him in rural canada by excluding long guns and then keeping restricted weapons and hand guns on the registry which are of great concern to Urban and Suburban Canadians. If stephen harper had of been able to use that skill prior to the last election in light of the murder of the young girl in toronto because of armed street gangs We would be looking at a majority conservative government right now. Mr. Harper was skilled enough not to promise something he could not deleiver or be seen to try to exploit a tragic situation. The left of course threw the boogie man into the debate exploiting a tragic situation for political gain. Mr Harper took the short term lumps won the election with a minority and then closed the boogie man myths and increased his standing with the canadian public as something the liberal or NDP do not have . A perception of honesty. The liberals and ndp by exploiting showed dishonest behavoir and exploitation of a very sad situation. That honesty factor will pay huge debit ends for the conservatives until the cycle of scandal catches up with them atleast 6 years down the road.

The Gays Marriage issue pro and con will be debated and have a free vote because of Stephen Harper. The law will pass again for the simple fact that the elements in the conservative party that would oppose it are small and the opposition has more then enough members to defeat a bill that reverses the spirit of the liberals bill. There is not much to fear by the debate as fairminded people even in the conservative party would like to hear the issue debated. not throw through parliament to be rubber stamped faters then you can say donovan bailey.

What is good about bringing that bill back and having a free vote is it show that Stephen Harper wants members to listen to their consistuents which was always a huge problem with jean chretians style of ruling his party. The extreme parts of the party will be happier even if they are defeated because of the new circumstances in the passing of a new bill.

jim jones
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Harper= Joe Clark. 8 Months at most.

Joe Clark was a weak prime Minister, and so is Harper. Joe Clark had 40% ratings during his start as Prime Minister also.
 

·
The Tropics of Canada
Joined
·
5,065 Posts
know matter what, some people will never want to believe that Harper can do a good job , little own give him a chance . People would rather bitch about what he will fail at that then see what actually has been done. In the last 3 years with Liberal governments I dont remember one major thing getting anywhere except Kyoto. wow . With this government we are seeing real change , or at least the attempt at change as long as its not blocked by the Liberals . I personaly welcome an election soon . that way the Liberals will be out of thier misery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
617 Posts
^^We will see soon enough :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Rhino said:
know matter what, some people will never want to believe that Harper can do a good job , little own give him a chance . People would rather bitch about what he will fail at that then see what actually has been done. In the last 3 years with Liberal governments I dont remember one major thing getting anywhere except Kyoto. wow . With this government we are seeing real change , or at least the attempt at change as long as its not blocked by the Liberals . I personaly welcome an election soon . that way the Liberals will be out of thier misery.
So you think the Liberals will get majority?
 

·
Toon Town bandit
Joined
·
880 Posts
Jonestowncultinpicto said:
well as to Stephen Harper not having political skills that is totally wrong. A 43 percent approval rating means he has transformed a party that lost an election to Paul Martin in 2004 to a Government that is on the verge of converting a minority into a majority with polling numbers that rival the best that brian mulroney or pierre elloit trudeau had. Stephen Harper has done this with very skillful measures that speak to many different people who either voted for him or to people who didnt vote for him. Stephen Harpers rise to the PMO's office has only really has one other parrellel in canadian political history. Pierre Trudeau's survival from defeat by Joe Clark to Trudeau's re-election on the back of the imfamous non-confidence motion against a 10 cent a gallion gasoline tax.

A great example of Stephen Harper's great political skill is the gun registry and how Stephen Harper was able to satisfy the people who elected him in rural canada by excluding long guns and then keeping restricted weapons and hand guns on the registry which are of great concern to Urban and Suburban Canadians. If stephen harper had of been able to use that skill prior to the last election in light of the murder of the young girl in toronto because of armed street gangs We would be looking at a majority conservative government right now. Mr. Harper was skilled enough not to promise something he could not deleiver or be seen to try to exploit a tragic situation. The left of course threw the boogie man into the debate exploiting a tragic situation for political gain. Mr Harper took the short term lumps won the election with a minority and then closed the boogie man myths and increased his standing with the canadian public as something the liberal or NDP do not have . A perception of honesty. The liberals and ndp by exploiting showed dishonest behavoir and exploitation of a very sad situation. That honesty factor will pay huge debit ends for the conservatives until the cycle of scandal catches up with them atleast 6 years down the road.

The Gays Marriage issue pro and con will be debated and have a free vote because of Stephen Harper. The law will pass again for the simple fact that the elements in the conservative party that would oppose it are small and the opposition has more then enough members to defeat a bill that reverses the spirit of the liberals bill. There is not much to fear by the debate as fairminded people even in the conservative party would like to hear the issue debated. not throw through parliament to be rubber stamped faters then you can say donovan bailey.

What is good about bringing that bill back and having a free vote is it show that Stephen Harper wants members to listen to their consistuents which was always a huge problem with jean chretians style of ruling his party. The extreme parts of the party will be happier even if they are defeated because of the new circumstances in the passing of a new bill.

jim jones
i didnt vote for him last election, but i sure will next time. this is based on his skills as a leader and i think many are now starting to understand that he is doing many things right.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top