SkyscraperCity banner

How long will it take for ATL to pass up H-TOWN?

• 2-5 years

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • 5-10 years

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • 10 years +

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • never

Votes: 55 61.1%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How long will it be before Atlanta passes up Houston in MSA population? If ever? Atlanta is quickly gaining on Houston sooner than we all realize. Houston did get a population boost w/ Katrina victims w/ an estimated population at 5.4 million people. Atlanta's population est is somewhere between 4.9 and 5 million. That's a real slim margin.

Do you think Atlanta will eventually overtake Houston? If so, how long?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Unfortunately, I voted before I saw that MSA populations were under discussion here, so I said "never." LOL. But if we're talking metro's, I'm not sure. Who's currently growing faster?

·
Registered
303 Posts
YIKES...i voted b4 i saw u was talking about MSA...the city limits won't but the MSA probabaly will...you may need to start this one over

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I don't see how it's 'obvious' that Atlanta will overtake Houston, I wasn't aware that Houston was growing 'slowly'. It's of course possible that Atlanta's MSA or CSA could leap ahead of Houston - but at least not for another 10+ years. The difference of just a couple hundred thousand doesn't seem much for metros this size - but as long as Houston is growing, it could take a while if Atlanta's growth rate is greater than Houston's.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Houston is actually one of the very few major metropolitan areas that has topped Atlanta's rate of population growth over the past several decades. So while Atlanta could possibly overake Houston, I would't hold my breath waiting for that to happen!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
sonofaque86 said:
YIKES...i voted b4 i saw u was talking about MSA...the city limits won't but the MSA probabaly will...you may need to start this one over
i tried editing the title to say MSA but it doesn't show up when you first see the thread. Moderator's please make that change for me!

·
Gamecocks&Skyscrapers fan
1,839 Posts
I put never; metro Houston is already larger than metro Atlanta and is growing just as fast. With Houston being a port it is likely to continue its large immigration from other countries and domestically while Atlanta would tend to get most immigration from people that have already been in the country awhile.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Last time i checked Houston was cheaper and had a big economy and also not far from the water so i dont see how Atlanta will pass it in growth.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I doubt Atlanta will ever pass Houston, but, it doesn't really matter, either way, to me. They are both respectable large Southern economies.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I think it's about 50/50 whether Atlanta will pass Houston or not. Atlanta is growing faster than Houston, but Houston's growing pretty darn fast, which goes to show just how insane Atlanta's growth has been.

For the forseeable future though, I don't see much reason to get into a fight over it, both areas are about the same size and offer similar amenities. Atlanta is great if you want mountains nearby, Houston if you want the beach.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It never will. Atlanta may be growing faster but not by that much. Houston is growing fast enough that Atlanta won't catch it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
2-5 years. Easy. Atlanta is growing super quick.

And does anyone know a website that shows exact growth rates of U.S.A. cities? I can't find one.

1 - 20 of 286 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.