SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live in GUADALAJARA, Mexico. and our downtown is quite big, because it covers a great and vast area of the city. Hre in our downtown, is qhere cultural, political, and other main activities go by. Every day 1.5 million people come or move around the city's downtown:

Time:

Walking: from 1 to 3 hours; depending on the walking pase.
Car: (NO TRAFFIC) 20 minutes. and with lots of traffic, which usually is the thing: 1hr.

Area:

Really don't know, but the government puts that in straight line through the middle, is a bit more than 5 km. and by the hight almost 4 km.

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
Its difficult to define the CBD of London... it could arguably be pretty much the whole area within the Circle (Tube) Line, thus High Street kensington to Aldgate is quite some trek... well over an hour. Its much longer west to east than north to south, following the north bank of the Thames.

The historical centre of London 'The City' or 'The Square Mile' is as the name suggests only one square mile, again longer west to east than north to south. You can probably walk from the northern edge (e.g. London Wall) down to the Thames in under 10 minutes. However 'The City', although predominantly commercial / office space, only contains a small proportion of London's office space, and commercial rents are I believe higher in areas like Soho or Mayfair. The retail is concentrated along Oxford Street / Bond Street (department stores, music and fashion) and Tottenham Court Road (electronics and furniture), so by definition these are all defintely in the CBD.

·
Crooswijkert
5,785 Posts
WANCH said:
From my place, it's 5 minutes
You can cross Downtown Hong Kong in 5 minutes..... :sly: :nuts:

·
Lord Melbourne
4,243 Posts
Well melbourne's CBD is the 'hoddel grid (founder of the city made a grid to lay it out on) A 1 by 0.5 mile grid. Though the city is expanding to the west in the docklands, which is roughly the same size.
It dosn't take too long 10 mins if your on a mission, or sometimes 15 if you get stuck waiting to cross the roads.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Central_Business_District

·
Registered
341 Posts
About 7 seconds in Doha. Long enough for you to sprint across the Corniche dodging kamikaze Hummers hell-bent on running you down!

·
121,863 Posts
Marathoner said:
What do you mean by downtown in HK?
Hong Kong's downtown core stretches across 3 districts - Central, Admiralty, and Wan Chai (3 subway stations). The distance is roughly 1.8-2 km, which will take about 30 minutes to walk.

·
Resurrected
24,352 Posts
20-30 minutes for the old town - but if you really want to SEE something, take your time ;)

If you include the university area and the trendy western center about 1 hour.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Toronto's CBD, from the waterfront to about Bloor Street... I guess an hour. Walking up Yonge would take the good part of a day.

Hamilton's downtown.... 20 minutes.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts