SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how many people live on Manhattan Island? We know the population of New York, but just the island alone is what I want to know.

·
Registered
406 Posts
^ I'm almost certain it more than doubles. There are more people who live off the island and work there than there are residents, so that will cause the population to at least double by itself. And that doesn't even take into account tourists, shoppers, etc.

·
Thats my wife Aaliyah.
238 Posts
i read somewhere in a book that 7 million people commute to manhattan everday.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yankee BOY said:
i read somewhere in a book that 7 million people commute to manhattan everday.
:eek2: :eek2:

that many? just fascinating...

that's almost half our country's population :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
for that area, Midtown, there is so much verticality, offices upon offices stacked many floors into the sky on every block. I live here, on 52nd street. Calcutta may be packed, but we're STACKED :laugh:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Crusader, I said DAYTIME density.

Midtown is the largest commercial district in the WORLD. Period.

Even if HK has a larger skyline than NY, most of it is residential.

As far as Tokyo, it probably has as many or more offices as NY, but it is decentralized by comparison. From what I read, Tokyo has multiple nodes built around rail stations, and none of those individual nodes comes close to Midtown OR Lower Manhattan.

·
Registered
133 Posts
What is the average price of a condo in Manhattan? Just a rough estimate I dont need exact numbers just want an idea.

Also does it get any cheaper in other parts of the city? (I know it varies, but like say would it be cheaper to live in say Queens over Manhattan or something like that)

Thanks

·
Kibic
537 Posts
During the last two decades Manhattan's Population has rebounded after decades of huge declines. By the way the island's population peaked in 1910 with 2.332 million people, and density of over 105,000/sq. mile.

1980:1.428m
1990:1.488m
2000:1.537m

·
Registered
571 Posts
Booksman said:
What is the average price of a condo in Manhattan? Just a rough estimate I dont need exact numbers just want an idea.

Also does it get any cheaper in other parts of the city? (I know it varies, but like say would it be cheaper to live in say Queens over Manhattan or something like that)

Thanks
I remember reading something a few mnoths back that said the average condo in Manhatten is about 1 million dollars. I think the prices are alot cheaper in other Bouroughs, but I don't have any figures.

·
chek ur hed
473 Posts
back in the early days of immigration when dozens of people lived in one tiny lower east side tenement. I'll take manhattan in its current smaller form, anyday.

·
Brooklyn Real Estater
182 Posts
Booksman said:

Thanks
Current Estimated 2005 figures:

In Manhattan, a 2 bdr condo averages about 990,000
In Brooklyn, a 2 bdr condo averages about 400,000
In Queens, about 300,000-350,000
In the Bronx, less, about 250,000
Staten Island, about 250,000, but growing quickly

1 - 20 of 32 Posts